SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
patreon.com/theTrueMikeBrown
mbmbmbmbmb
Please post by December 11th to request a black and white paper copy of my game in the mail. This is the start of the second round of blind playtesting. Comments from previous playtesters have been integrated.

Note: I will ship you a free copy if you are in the US. Others would have to pay their own postage (and send me all the required info for foreign shipping (phone number, alternate address, real name etc)).

A Brief summary of my game:

3 players (if you want the expansions it can go up to 7 players, but I have not print formatted those in black and white yet. I will happily do that for anyone who wants to play with more than 3 players)

30-45 minutes to learn. 15-30 minutes to play.

Polynesia is a card game where multiple players draw, trade, and play cards from a shared pool of decks (each deck having different types of cards, such as economy, military, point cards, etc) in an attempt to reach 32 points before any other player.

Each players turn is played simultaneously in one game round (though if someone attacks another player, then the attack is dealt with in an action response format). Each game round every player also selects a strategy that they will follow that round and a god that their islanders will worship (both of which grant special abilities).

Each player may play multiple cards during their turn, but the number of cards that they can play is limited by the number and size of island cards that they have (Large islands can hold 8 cards, where smaller islands can hold fewer cards (to a minimum of 5) as well as the number of trade goods (currency) that they can produce. Each player places his islands in a horizontal line in front of him, and only the islands on the right and left edge of the island line may be attacked by other players.

Though combat is possible, it is rarely an effective whole game strategy (it is, however effective to play an economic, trade based, or card gathering strategy and supplement it with an attack every so often). There is only one 'resource' in the game - trade goods, and by building up your economy you may buy points using those trade goods. Another path to victory is building a powerful tableau of islands that have many good trade agreements and crafts (which are both worth points)

Links
Here is a link to my card game's BGG page.

Here is the zip file to download if you want to PnP your own copy. Print one copy of each image as a full page, and print the rule document.

Here is the zip file to download if you want to PnP your own color copy. Print one copy of each image as a full page, and print the rule document.

Here is the rule document by itself. (I have uploaded a pdf version now, so you can view it easily)

Color Image Album

B&W Image Album

Thanks for helping me playtest my game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Completely not bribing people to playtest my polynesian themed card game
Hey, you're in Sandy! That's not even far from me!

Unfortunately, this doesn't look like the sort of game I could get my wife to play.

You may want to mention in the game rules the number of players and the estimated play time. Also, the rules document seems to have a couple of cards floating over the intro paragraph? What's that about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Google docs can't handle my rules document. If you download it it looks fine. I should have noted that in the first post. I will edit it.

I will have edited my first post with the other info too.

Edit 2:
kurthl33t wrote:
Unfortunately, this doesn't look like the sort of game I could get my wife to play.

That is too bad. My wife doesn't like heavy strategy games, but one of the design goals of this game was to make a game that she was willing to play with me. When we play we pretend that the combat aspect of the game is not there, but she will still play with me (and often helps me test out new ideas).

Thanks Nate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't print, but am more than happy to playtest if you can send me a copy. Rules look interesteing. GeekMail me if you need me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Misenheimer
United States
Portville
New York
flag msg tools
I'm interested if you can send me a playtest copy. I will be recovering from spinal surgery and have alot of down time to play games especially card games, with my wife. Sounds like an interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like 2 copies of the game are claimed and No-one has agreed to print their own copy yet.

When you post on this forum to claim a copy you can also pm me your address (that would streamline things a bit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theTrueMikeBrown wrote:
Looks like 2 copies of the game are claimed and No-one has agreed to print their own copy yet.

I have, haven't I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:

I have, haven't I?

True, you have agreed to print (I was considering that outside of the scope of this thread, but it is actually fact).

So, two people have agreed to be shipped a copy, and one person has agreed to print.

(One person has also asked for me to prepare the base game + 1 expansion for SuperiorPOD printing and give him the files.)

Edit:
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just PMed me requesting the 3rd shipped copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Green
United States
Seattle
Seattle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I am completely up for play-testing. Send me a low-fi copy!

For me at least, the greatest hurdle to play-testing a design is printing/assembling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackhalfaprayer wrote:
I am completely up for play-testing. Send me a low-fi copy!

You are on the list for the 4th copy of the game.

That means that there are 5 copies left (I will update the original post with that info).

By the way, I finished printing all of the copies and cut them all out last night. I still have to finish assembling all of the cards (cutting them out left them all jumbled together in a huge clump), but that is not too hard. If the 9 copies are all requested before Saturday I will mail them out when the last one is requested. Otherwise I will probably mail the ones that have been requested on Saturday.

Just to make sure that no-one is disappointed: I printed the same cards that I have attached here (the black and white copies) on 20 lb white paper. When I was playtesting with cards printed in that way I would put them in card protectors with junk cards for backers. there are just under 100 cards (as I printed you all the strategy boards because I prefer them to the strategy cards), so one pack of sleeves and two poker decks should be enough to sleeve them all. You will need to find two tokens for each player (anything will do) to mark their current strategy and their current point total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
[This space intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll sign up for a copy to playtest. If they go out soon, I'll take them on vacation to get my siblings to test it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pikkusiili2000 wrote:
I'll sign up for a copy to playtest. If they go out soon, I'll take them on vacation to get my siblings to test it as well.

Copy number 5 has been requested. I will update the original post.

I have finished collating the decks and stapling the rules documents. Now I just have to find a bunch of mailing envelopes. I don't see any reason why I couldn't mail the games tonight if we get 9 people signed up by then. If not, I can just send out what we have on Friday night or Saturday morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Playtesters Wanted: Polynesia Card Game. 9 copies up for grabs (4 remaining)
As it has been over 24 hours since someone requested a mailed copy of the game, I am going to assume that I have reached saturation point and that any further people who want to play-test will be harder to get.

Since this is the case, I will try to get the five requested copies of the game mailed out tonight so that the people who have requested them can get them earlier.

If there is still anyone interested in play-testing, post here (or post any questions that you might have about the game (especially questions about things that might be keeping you from play-testing.))

Thanks everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Playtesters Wanted: Polynesia Card Game. 9 copies up for grabs (4 remaining)
I would volunteer, but I can just make my own copy pretty easy so I wanted to save you the trouble (and post charge) and get it to more people.

If you have extra copies and you don't mind a couple weeks of delay to get it played with my group I'd be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Sievers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent the files off to a print house and pic them up today. We will play the game with our game club tonight and will post the results by the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i7dealer wrote:
I would volunteer, but I can just make my own copy pretty easy so I wanted to save you the trouble (and post charge) and get it to more people.

If you have extra copies and you don't mind a couple weeks of delay to get it played with my group I'd be interested.

You have been signed up for #6 (I can fairly easily make more copies, and my primary interest is keeping things moving in terms of playtesting).

This leaves 3 remaining copies unclaimed.

I mailed out the first five yesterday afternoon. The whole printing and mailing process cost ~$3.25 / copy, and took about 15 minutes / copy (I have access to a really good paper cutter).

As a side note, I have been talking with
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
about the size of the font and the symbology. He has some interesting ideas, and I will probably be making an art change soon. (Though it might not seem like it I really have not tried to make a 'final' version of the art because I am no artist nor am I a graphic designer.) It won't effect game play. so all of your input will still be valid, it will just make things easier to see, and perhaps less wordy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Playtesters Wanted: Polynesia Card Game. 9 copies up for grabs (3 remaining)
I understand that the first copies have been arriving at people's houses. If you have any questions, please post them here so that others do not ask the same ones.

Questions asked so far (and answers):
Quote:
Is the big card is the replacement for the "gray strategy cards" (6 cards, 12 strategies, 2 on each?) as well as the point tracker cards?

Yes, the big strategy/point mat is a replacement for the strategy cards and point cards. It was actually the original method of strategy selection as well as point recording, but I found that printing big mats would run up the price of the game since they would increase the size of the necessary box as well as add in more components.

Quote:
Keeping track of goods (or BEANS as I call them) is something I'm doing with dice & counters... just making sure there wasn't a built-in counter I missed somewhere.

There is not a built in method of keeping track of goods - usually people only expend things when they need the goods, and then they use them.

Quote:
A range of "1" can only hit the outermost islands? Or does it hit one past that?

Range 1 means you can only hit the outer most islands (one on each side.) Range 2 means the 4 outermost islands (2 on each side). Range 0 is possible with the Defensive Network card, and that means that the player is unattackable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hendricks
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Playtesters Wanted: Polynesia Card Game. 9 copies up for grabs (3 remaining)
Just ordered a copy off the PNP files through Superior POD. With wait time to get it from my apartment office, I expect I'll have it to the table two weeks from today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleLothar wrote:
Just ordered a copy off the PNP files through Superior POD. With wait time to get it from my apartment office, I expect I'll have it to the table two weeks from today.

Hey Ryan,

Thanks! I hope that you have a fun time playtesting it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ginny g
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you still have any lo-fi copies available to mail, i would be interested in playing! my partner and i 2-player game almost exclusively.
I will PM you my address as well.

good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Likewise, if copies are still available, I'd love to give it a shot. I don't have access to a color printer, which I think would help.

I also play 2-player games with my wife, and also am part of a fairly large gaming group so I can get it additional exposure. PMing my address, in case there is still one available.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give it a shot if any remain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
ginny g
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb

Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

and
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You have signed up for the 7th, 8th, and 9th copies.

I have 2 of the three addresses so far - I expect to mail the copies out tonight before the Post Office closes.

If anyone else wants a copy, I could print more (I might not be as fast to mail them out because printing and cutting takes some time and gumption), so request one here.

If anyone who received their copies already would like to post their play-test results here (or PM them to me), I would appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Playtesters Wanted: Polynesia Card Game. Printing on request
All three copies were mailed. You should receive them some time next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Playtesters Wanted: Polynesia Card Game. Printing on request
Hey Polynesia playtesters

Sorry for the delays; I am working on getting my copy sleeved and "carded" for a proper game. Will post my thoughts.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.