Subject: Potential hotel issue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
So, I've been a slacker, and just got around to booking a hotel room for this year.

Unfortunately, the reservation system insisted on charging me $20 extra for Wednesday and Thursday over the $109 convention rate...

Any idea why that is, and how to go about getting it fixed/addressed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
So, I've been a slacker, and just got around to booking a hotel room for this year.

Unfortunately, the reservation system insisted on charging me $20 extra for Wednesday and Thursday over the $109 convention rate...

Probably the block of rooms at the con rate are all gone so you're getting the regular rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try calling the hotel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not the regular rate. The regular rate is quite a bit higher at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:

This happened to me too and I got my hotel room a few weeks ago. Haven't done anything about it, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
sduke wrote:

Nope. In my experience, when dealing with convention rates, that is the single best way to ensure your reservation gets massively screwed up...

Like last year, where trying to make a small change resulted in losing both our regular room and our suite.

It took well over an hour at the front desk, and nearly needing to bring in the general manager to get it worked out. We had no rooms, period. We did end up getting two rooms, but no suite, and not our preferred set up. We only got those without going nuclear when they found a hand-written note about our reservation, detailing what needed to be done, that somehow failed to be followed through on. At that point, the desk staff went from imperious to remarkably solicitous.

But we were still screwed. And that is far from the first time attempting to deal directly with a hotel with a convention rate went bad. I'd very much like to take care of this at a structural level, than on an individual, fallible level.

So, some word from Jeff would be nice, at some point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
sduke wrote:

Nope. In my experience, when dealing with convention rates, that is the single best way to ensure your reservation gets massively screwed up...

Well I travel for my job 2-3 weeks a month and deal with about half a dozen hotels at various conferences and 'special rates' etc each month and have faced similar challenges.

And dealing with a human vice a web site almost always has worked out in the end.

Sometimes you get an idiot on the phone at first, but staying with it pays off.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Help me to help you! Help me to help you!
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I booked my room two weeks ago, the website wouldn't give me any discounts. One call to the hotel, and they got us the Con rate and did it very smoothly. I'm usually an online only kind of guy, but the phone transaction may change how I do things in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:

I'll give the hotel a call tomorrow. (I actually talked with the hotel twice today, but those were different departments - it's fun dealing with sales vs. convention services vs. reservations!)

We sold through the block a little while back, and the hotel has been kind enough to continue adding rooms to our block, to hopefully help with the eventual and almost-guaranteed flood of cancellations in the last week.

I do know from talking with the hotel a few weeks back that we were getting close to the point where they wouldn't be able to add any more rooms to the block. I'll check tomorrow to see if we've reached that point.

If so, I would ask folks to start trying to transfer their reservations to other people wanting them instead of cancelling straight out.

Thinking "I'll just cancel my reservation so that will put the room back in the block" is truly incorrect - a cancellation does not come back to us in this way - the room is simple freed up for the hotel to sell at full-price (or some other price to another block or even an online discounter - we really hate it when they do that).

But calling the hotel to transfer a reservation does still give us the credit for the room, which as I've said before, is really the most important thing to keep this convention going. Putting people in hotel rooms is our part of the bargain and it discounts all the other fees to where the math is manageable for us to put on this show.

By the way, speaking of commitments, for the first time this year we're also committing a minimum level of usage of the cash sales food option that will be available right next to the gaming rooms. We had to do that in fair trade for some additional space we need to accommodate all y'all who wanted to come to this party. Which don't get me wrong, is a good thing, but I'm always a bit nervous when I make commitments on estimates.

So tl;dr:
1please transfer room reservations when possible, instead of cancelling
2please try the "cash & carry" food available in Filmmakers hall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
WrongWrongWrong wrote:
When I booked my room two weeks ago, the website wouldn't give me any discounts. One call to the hotel, and they got us the Con rate and did it very smoothly. I'm usually an online only kind of guy, but the phone transaction may change how I do things in the future.

Does this mean I can take you off the waiting list for having received tickets? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:

Would you mind posting a "menu" of what options will be available at the Cash & Carry food service?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Begin
United States
Reno
NV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a reservation at the Hotel, but won't be going, is there a thread for people that want transfers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just talked with the hotel - they are almost completely sold out for Wednesday & Thursday. They were able to add a few rooms for us, but because of being almost sold out they 'needed' to adjust the price just a bit - I think that's where the extra $20 is coming from - more than our negotiated rate, but still well under their "rack rate".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Denney
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case there is no thread (or I missed it..) I would be interested in taking over someone's hotel reservation if they are not going to use it. I'd prefer a single room, but I suppose I could do a double in a pinch.

Thanks for taking the sting out of my laziness in not making a reservation!

Ezra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Identity of Hotel
The 2012 BGG info page shows this as the hotel:

WHERE: The Hyatt Regency DFW

2334 North International Parkway
DFW Airport, Texas, USA 75261

But the closest hotel I can find (between Google and Priceline) is
Hotel: Grand Hyatt DFW
2337 South International Parkway
Dallas, TX 75261

Is this the same Hotel?

-ANSWER: NOPE-
Thanks to texasgeoker below

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honor wrote:
The 2012 BGG info page shows this as the hotel:

WHERE: The Hyatt Regency DFW

2334 North International Parkway
DFW Airport, Texas, USA 75261

But the closest hotel I can find (between Google and Priceline) is
Hotel: Grand Hyatt DFW
2337 South International Parkway
Dallas, TX 75261

Is this the same Hotel?

They are 2 different hotels.

http://www.dfwairport.com/hotels/index.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those familiar with the Airport (Or who can look up the layout online) the Hyatt Regency is near Terminal C. I was at DFW this weekend, and took note of it as we were going by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is this now a hotel transfer thread?

we are going to be able to come after all, and we'll need a room. to check in Wednesday and check out Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't make a reservation online, so I'm really hoping I can find someone to transfer their reservation to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Belash wrote:

Does this mean I can take you off the waiting list for having received tickets? whistle

WrongWrongWrong's wife here. We did get tickets. So, you can take us off the list. So excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
fnord23 wrote:

I'll give the hotel a call tomorrow. (I actually talked with the hotel twice today, but those were different departments - it's fun dealing with sales vs. convention services vs. reservations!)

We sold through the block a little while back, and the hotel has been kind enough to continue adding rooms to our block, to hopefully help with the eventual and almost-guaranteed flood of cancellations in the last week.

I do know from talking with the hotel a few weeks back that we were getting close to the point where they wouldn't be able to add any more rooms to the block. I'll check tomorrow to see if we've reached that point.

If so, I would ask folks to start trying to transfer their reservations to other people wanting them instead of cancelling straight out.

Thinking "I'll just cancel my reservation so that will put the room back in the block" is truly incorrect - a cancellation does not come back to us in this way - the room is simple freed up for the hotel to sell at full-price (or some other price to another block or even an online discounter - we really hate it when they do that).

But calling the hotel to transfer a reservation does still give us the credit for the room, which as I've said before, is really the most important thing to keep this convention going. Putting people in hotel rooms is our part of the bargain and it discounts all the other fees to where the math is manageable for us to put on this show.

By the way, speaking of commitments, for the first time this year we're also committing a minimum level of usage of the cash sales food option that will be available right next to the gaming rooms. We had to do that in fair trade for some additional space we need to accommodate all y'all who wanted to come to this party. Which don't get me wrong, is a good thing, but I'm always a bit nervous when I make commitments on estimates.

So tl;dr:

any word on how we can transfer or if there's anyone who needs to transfer? I'd very much like to take over someone's room reservation.

I haven't tried calling the hotel yet b/c of this post.. (well, and the $20/night up charge), but it's waaaay more important that we have a room on site since we'll be up into the wee hours with the ww'ers

*fingers crossed*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuchick wrote:
CaptainQwyx wrote:
fnord23 wrote:

So tl;dr:

any word on how we can transfer or if there's anyone who needs to transfer? I'd very much like to take over someone's room reservation.

I haven't tried calling the hotel yet b/c of this post.. (well, and the $20/night up charge), but it's waaaay more important that we have a room on site since we'll be up into the wee hours with the ww'ers

*fingers crossed*

I've created an official thread for people to post and request reservations transfers:
Plans have changed? Don't cancel your hotel! Transfer here instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hotel Has Sold Out!
So I've been tracking the published hotel rates for most of the year.

As of today, unless you are a diamond or platinum member of Hyatt's points club, you can't buy a room online for most convention days. Rooms are still available for Tuesday and Saturday nights.

Keep in mind that this could change at any time as reservations are cancelled. Also, it's possible to transfer an existing reservation to someone else, which will both keep their better rate and keep the room in the convention's group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have reservations for a 2 queen-bed room and would consider sharing. We are non-smokers and generally not icky people. ;-)

My husband is
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
and we're coming in from Seattle.

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just been informed that the hotel is currently completely sold out for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We still have a handful of rooms left for Friday and Saturday, but when they are gone, we won't be getting any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.