Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: obviously we're doing something very wrong, but what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
just got the game a few days ago and probably played a half dozen times since then. Summed up in bullet points:

= we're only playing with the base game
= each game is lasting less than ten minutes
= because the game is so short, there is no oppurtunity to use any tactics.

every game seems to go: rush out cheap people with terror, watch as the opponent cannot contest any story you go for as he doesn't have terror, race to gain investion points faster than the other. I don't know where were going wrong but obviously there is an issue here and its not like its the same person continously winning either, were probably 3 games appiece but there has yet to be any tension, the decisions seem to be seem to be obvious (though apparently not) the games are ending before we can actually get a chance to do anything.

Obviously were being completly stupid here, its frustrating as all hell, so what are we missing? x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, let's check the first thing that came to mind, you're only insaning one person for a Terror struggle right? Usually what you do is have an expendable fodder character who takes the hit for Terror, another (if needed) for Combat. Willpower or your own Terror blocks off insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
aye, but by the time weve got two people out (doesnt seem any point in sending one person out against someone who would make him go insane) the other person has already gained at least one story =/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, first player skips his Story Phase on the first turn. It can also work if you have Arcane + Investigation, let him have his two success and unless he has Arcane, his Terror dude is exhausted, while you can grab three tokens and have you character ready.

Which factions were you playing that were dominating and against which factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As already mentioned, the first player does not go to stories on his first turn (he also draws only one card instead of two).

Having someone go insane isn't the end of the world, it just takes a while before he comes back. It can be totally worth sending two characters to a story and letting one go crazy (or even die) if it blocks your opponent from winning the story. Sometimes having insane guys can even be to your advantage with someone like Mad Genius or whatever.

Temporarily, you may want to pick your factions so that each player has at least one "monster" faction - so that you both have Terror. Once you start playing properly it won't really matter anymore but it might help you get over that hump quicker or at least more enjoyably.

If you don't mind the effort, try this:
Write down both your starting hands and what cards you chose to resource. Then each turn record what you drew, resourced, and played. Basically, if we could see your game it'll probably be easy to say "OK, here's where you went off the tracks".

Also, make sure you reserve some characters for defense. A common issue with new players is sending all their characters to stories so that on their opponent's turn he can go unopposed all over the place. Sometimes both with do this and they just end up trading lots of tokens and there's no real conflict at all.

Generally a game might go something like this:

Start with 8 cards. Resource some of the ones that are either too expensive, duplicates, late-game cards, or otherwise not useful right now. If you don't get at least a couple characters you can play on turn 1-2, mulligan and try again.

First turn, your domains are 2-1-1. Typically you're going to play a 2-cost character and maybe a 1-cost character if you have one, or perhaps some useful support or Event card. First player doesn't go to stories at this time but he has 1-2 defenders ready.

Second player now, also 2-1-1. Same deal, he plays a 2-character and maybe a 1-character or some Support/Event. AND, he might be going to stories if the conditions look good. If he'd just get killed or driven insane TO NO BENEFIT he won't do it. If he can (for instance) send both guys so one goes insane and the other kills the enemy with Terror, then it's potentially worth it. Or, maybe he gets 2 tokens for Skill & Investigation, that could be worth a guy going crazy too. But if it's not worth the cost, he just sits tight and keeps those guys for defense.

Now, let's say p1 has a Terror guy and p2 didn't go to stories because of it, I think that's the situation you say you're having issues with. So... he sends his Terror guy to a story and nobody resists him and he wins 2 tokens. Hooray! But now that Terror guy is exhausted. That means he isn't available to ALSO defend. This gives p2 a chance to now go to stories himself without running up against Terror. Because you waited and didn't rush into a dumb situation now you've earned this chance to even up the tokens.

Consider also... Whatever factions you're running, if they don't have Terror they have icons in SOMETHING and all of them are useful.

Have Combat? Bring a cheap guy to go crazy and kill the Terror guy.
Have Arcane? That character may be able to go to stories on both turns instead of just one.
Have Investigation? Get an extra token. Terror guy gets 2, then I get 3. Fair is fair right?

Finally, don't overlook your non-character cards. Events and Supports are every bit as important and might offer you ways to get around your problem. Events in particular are powerful because they come out of nowhere, which means you can bluff. Send a character to a story, say he has no icons at all. Your opponent has a Terror guy and he thinks to himself. "That's an odd move, I can just drive him crazy with my guy - he isn't going to get anything out of it." So he does it, and you play an event that kills his guy. Next time you send that lonely peon up there he's going to stop and think a little more. "Hmm, this looks like a trap. It SEEMS like a dumb move, but I see he has an open 2-domain and several cards in his hand. Is he planning to play an Event on me? I mean, it's obvious that he has something in mind, he wouldn't just send a guy to go insane with no reason for it..."

If you still run into trouble let us know and we'll try to help but the more we know about your game the better to spot what's going wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, DBoeren, one of the best posts I have ever seen on BGG.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
awesome post, thanks so much. What stood out was this:

First turn, your domains are 2-1-1. Typically you're going to play a 2-cost character and maybe a 1-cost character if you have one, or perhaps some useful support or Event card. First player doesn't go to stories at this time but he has 1-2 defenders ready.

I went and looked through the rule book and saw where we were going wrong, we were not starting with a resource in each domain (ie turn 1 would be the first resource) looking at it this way, now it should be alot easier to get some defenders out. I'm not certain how well this will work but it seems it will be a HUGE improvement and stop the first person to get someone out running away with the lead.

Also going to keep the rest of your post in mind and will apply it all in a few games after work tomorrow and report back on how it went. I love the Cthulhu IP and I'm already to love this game, so lets hope this is the big thing that ruined the game x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
chicklewis wrote:

Chick

you need to read more posts by dboeren, clearly. all of his posts are good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Baxter wrote:
awesome post, thanks so much. What stood out was this:

I went and looked through the rule book and saw where we were going wrong, we were not starting with a resource in each domain (ie turn 1 would be the first resource) looking at it this way, now it should be alot easier to get some defenders out. I'm not certain how well this will work but it seems it will be a HUGE improvement and stop the first person to get someone out running away with the lead.

Also going to keep the rest of your post in mind and will apply it all in a few games after work tomorrow and report back on how it went. I love the Cthulhu IP and I'm already to love this game, so lets hope this is the big thing that ruined the game x

Aha! That would certainly throw some things off. I was wondering how they were grabbing a whole story without some defenders mucking it up. I'm looking forward to hearing how your next set of games goes with the resource issue corrected. Of course, now you've got those hard decisions to start the game off with of what to resource and what to keep...

If you still have any trouble, I would also be willing to play a teaching game sometime on LackeyCCG if you want. Then I can walk you through and spot any other rules you're getting wrong and we can play with open hands so I can provide some commentary on the interesting decisions or point it out if you appear to do something bizarre. It would have to be after around 9:30pm (EST) though since we've got a 20-month old in the house.

haqattaqq wrote:
chicklewis wrote:

Chick

you need to read more posts by dboeren, clearly. all of his posts are good

Thanks, both of you Always good to know I've succeeded in being helpful to someone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
so we played three games last night, I won all which was awesome, but even more awesome was that they were significantly more closly fought. Whereas our previous games lasted ten mins max, these were averaging about 25- 30 minutes.

Obviously the game requires a bit of deck knowledge but otherwise were really enjoying it as a 'quick' Lovecraft game (as opposed to MOM and AH)

Not going to get too into buying asylum packs, but Secrets of Arkham seems fairly competitivly price so will likely get that to boost the deckbuilding aspect a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Baxter wrote:
Not going to get too into buying asylum packs, but ...

I had taken the same position, going for the Silver Twilight expansion, because I'm just that into organized occultism. But I hadn't counted on how much fun thematic deck building might be in this game, and now I see myself being led a ways down the Asylum path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, sounds like you had a much better time then.

Secrets of Arkham is a great expansion and always my first recommendation after the core set. Not only do you get a lot of good cards for all factions, but it also comes with another set of Story cards that you can use instead of or shuffled together with the Story cards from the Core set.

btw, if you're Story junkies there are also 12 more Story cards in the Shifting Sands asylum pack. So if you just want to buy ONE asylum pack, this one's probably a good bet.

The Silver Twilight expansion is good if you want to add another faction, otherwise it's easy to skip if you want to just have a minimal collection. They are pretty fun though - a little more combo or trick oriented than some of the other factions.

Not sure if you are aware, but the most recent Asylum Pack was also the LAST Asylum Pack. Going forward, they are moving to releasing a boxed expansion (the same size as Secrets of Arkham or Silver Twilight) every 4 months. The initial sets seem like they're going to be themed faction boxes, sort of like the House boxes they have for A Game of Thrones LCG. Anyway, the first one up is the Miskatonic box which seems to be themed around Explorers, Lost Civilizations (places they might go exploring), and introduces a new type of Event card called a Prophecy. These are conditional events which only trigger if you meet their prerequisites.

Looks like a good time to be a casual/themed player then - once more of these are out the standard advice will probably be to pick up a Core set and then the faction box for whatever faction you like best, and after a couple of them THEN probably get Secrets of Arkham if you want to play multiple factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
ordered secrets of Arkham last night, heres hoping it gets here quick.

Im liking the idea of less frequent but bigger expansions so I can have a few 'pimped' out decks to play with.

Thanks for all the advice its been right useful x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are ready to build decks, see dboarens strategy articles on deck building. He breaks it down so well that I couldnt believe how easy ot was to deck build.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.