Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

My favorite British actor is Hugh Laurie from the recent tv show House. His over the top acting skills would bring an interesting take on the doctor. If you have not seen Hugh Laurie in action you should take the time to check him out. A fantastic actor whose skill sets are outside the box. My dream actor to play the great Doctor Who.

Freebird out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
We need to go back to some older actors... none of these youths of eternity. My vote...

Philip Glenister. He's a great actor, and I think he'd bring a great look and attitude to the character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig Ferguson would be good, but too silly...

I'd give my right arm to have David Tennant back...

Ooo... Cillian Murphy would be a good, morose choice... He'd bring a gravity we haven't seen since Ecclestone, but maybe have a hard time with the comedic elements...

Or Charlie Hunnam, minus Sons of Anarchy shagginess... He would be an awesome, bad-ass Doctor who didn't take shit...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
logopolys wrote:
We need to go back to some older actors

Second that. Maybe this gentleman:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoid wrote:
logopolys wrote:
We need to go back to some older actors

Second that. Maybe this gentleman:

YES PLEASE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Twombly
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before anybody else says it, just "the Doctor", not "Doctor Who".

So, in keeping with the last round of rumors, my top choices are still:

and

But virtual unknowns have worked out extremely well in the past, so I'm not particular. I do think it'd be wise to go for a middle-aged actor, at least late 30s if not 40s or 50s, despite the assertion that British actors over the age of 35 are incapable of making more than 13 episodes of a serial programme per year, and never more than three years running. Except, or course, when they're being paid in American dollars.

Also I'd like somebody under 6', for purely selfish, hero-identification reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Who do I want to see? Well, I would be quite happy to see a particular American actor with no previous screen experience, somewhere around his early-to-mid-thirties. Someone like me.

But if we're talking about something that might actually happen in a somewhat realistic universe, and not just the egotistical fantasies of a deluded fanboy, I'd be keen on seeing Alan Davies, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, Jon Rhys Davies, Christopher Lee, or Graham Crowden in the role. Part of me thinks that Nick Briggs should finally get a shot at it, but he seems pretty happy being the official voice of Daleks and Cybermen - and without him, Big Finish would only be able to produce ten hours of audio per month, instead of twenty.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that Rupert Grint might be on the BBC short list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Pegg might quite suit it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would everybody feel if they cast a woman? I've heard some speculation and was initially pretty against it. Stephen Moffat says that the problem with casting a woman is insuring that the audience feels a continuity in the character.

But having thought about it some more I think it could be done with the right casting choice and story line. I could see them doing it for at least one season in the next few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:
How would everybody feel if they cast a woman? I've heard some speculation and was initially pretty against it. Stephen Moffat says that the problem with casting a woman is insuring that the audience feels a continuity in the character.

But having thought about it some more I think it could be done with the right casting choice and story line. I could see them doing it for at least one season in the next few years.

I'd be down for that. I'd love to see what Cate Blanchett does with the role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No thanks on the woman for the role. There are already several slots in the mythology if they want a female Time Lord.

The Rani (picture a regenerated Rani who has learned something about mercy after Gallifrey fell....the Doctor's new enemy/sometime mistress)
Romana (hey, if the Master survived...)
Doctor Donna (Regenerated! Just because she couldn't handle the knowledge doesn't mean she doesn't have the physiology (sp?))
Jenny (the Doctor's Daughter)
Susan (the Doctor's Granddaughter)

Plenty of room to explore female protagonists at the Doctor's level, including the awesome River Song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Rice
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see the Doctor as a woman - I think it'd be an intersting dynamic - otheriwsie, I think Anthony Head would make a good one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shaunrice wrote:
I'd love to see the Doctor as a woman - I think it'd be an intersting dynamic - otheriwsie, I think Anthony Head would make a good one ;)

Been considered at least once with a Romanna spin off briefly discussed. We did though get the Sarah Jane series which is close enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hay
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Hugh Laurie would be great, I feel he has been typecast into the role of House for too many people. I would love to see Benedict Cumberpatch play the Doctor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thewatermelonman wrote:
While Hugh Laurie would be great, I feel he has been typecast into the role of House for too many people. I would love to see Benedict Cumberpatch play the Doctor.

Or the Master, with Matt Smith! That's what I'd like to see, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liam Neeson or maybe Michael Palin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer6 wrote:
Liam Neeson or maybe Michael Palin

Palin would make a good Hartnel aged Doctor. He certain has the well travelled look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtwombly wrote:
Before anybody else says it, just "the Doctor", not "Doctor Who".

So, in keeping with the last round of rumors, my top choices are still:

SNIP

Agreed on Chiwetel Ejiofor. I loved his portrayal of the Operative in Serenity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Carlyle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dean
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the people that came to mind for me have already been mentioned here: Hugh Laurie, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Robert Carlyle. I don't know if Bill Nighy would still have a shot but I know they considered him last time and I think he'd do great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Psitticine wrote:
A lot of the people that came to mind for me have already been mentioned here: Hugh Laurie, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Robert Carlyle. I don't know if Bill Nighy would still have a shot but I know they considered him last time and I think he'd do great.

Robert Carlyle? Interesting. He's a fine actor, and I'm certain that he could handle the more dramatic, serious parts of the role, but has he ever done comedy? Could he handle Doctor Who during his moments of levity and joy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Psitticine wrote:

Robert Carlyle? Interesting. He's a fine actor, and I'm certain that he could handle the more dramatic, serious parts of the role, but has he ever done comedy? Could he handle Doctor Who during his moments of levity and joy?

Up until recently, I wouldn't have thought so myself, but last week I started watching the TV series Once Upon A Time (available on Netflix), and have been absolutely floored by his portrayal of Rumplestilskin. I had no idea he had that in him. It's almost entirely based upon his performance in OUaT that I'm convinced that he'd be the best Doctor since Tom Baker (start fanboy wars here :-P ). Only Jim Broadbent could be better, character-wise; too bad he doesn't otherwise fit the role :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Psitticine wrote:

He's pretty funny in Trainspotting, even when I'm not sure he's supposed to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
goo

Thanks for all the input. The Doctor has many faces and I look to the future to see what maybe ?

Freebird out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.