Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Pollman
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
As noted in the document I like the game as is but some people in my group prefer hex-based gameplay, so I came up with a set of simple rules that still kept the flavor of the game and actually makes it play a bit faster.

Still needs some testing and maybe some tweaks but it seems pretty good to me so far.

Here is a dropbox link while I wait for the file to be submitted to BGG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5990181/Star%20Wars%20X-Wing%20-%20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice work! I'll have to try this next time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly works, and I think your hex-loving friends will enjoy it.
And as much as I like to hug hexes myself... The game would something in the translation for me. I like not being absolutely sure of where my ships are going, and having to deal with my miscaculations.
To me, it's a huge part of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I don't see myself using it, this is a pretty slick conversion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Your firing arcs are 60 degrees wide, not 90. (30 degrees off of the axis of the ship, not 45 degrees off.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pollman
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
ah yeah, my mistake.
Corrected the document.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question regarding Barrel Rolls: Should a ship be given the choice of 3 positions? Essentially, the player is being allowed to gain 2 forward movement (or lose 2) if they choose.

I know the rules indicate there is some "play" in the final position when executing a barrel roll, but when translated to hex movement, it seems to provide a bigger advantage to the owning player.

Regarding turns and banks...I realize it's not easy to implement a 90 degree turn with hexes, and I do like your solution, but have you considered including side slips? Do you think that would be better?

Ie. A turn would start by turning the ship facing one hex side, then moving forward (that's a speed 1 turn), then slipping the ship sideways in the same direction (while still facing the same direction, that's a speed 2 turn), then continuing that patter of move forward, slip sideways.

Ie. A bank would start by moving the ship forward one hex, then slipping to the side, then moving forward again, then sliding again, etc....with a facing change only at the end of the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
swgod98 wrote:
Regarding turns and banks...I realize it's not easy to implement a 90 degree turn with hexes, and I do like your solution, but have you considered including side slips? Do you think that would be better?

12-point facing is your friend (and not difficult).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
swgod98 wrote:

12-point facing is your friend (and not difficult).

Incorporating slips into turns and banks is a small adjustment in comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sean, this is excellent, and is something that I was also wondering whether or not would work. I'm a big fan of a lot of hex-based naval/air/space games.

I've got a question on your speed three hard left and right maneuvers, though. Would it also work to move one hex forward before turning and then finishing with two hexes of movement, instead of immediately turning and moving three hexes? I understand why you did what you did, but you also end up with a "gap" of one hex when you compare the ending hexes of the shallow and hard three hex turns.

I also think that a single hex slide (probably back left or right) might be a little better for the barrel roll.

I think this is a great start, though, and that this game wouldn't lose anything at all by being played on hexes.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pollman
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yeah the turns are really tricky. The reason I have all the turns actually changing the facing is that if you keep the same facing it's not really a turn at all, its a slip. The base game as is does not have any maneuvers that are similar to a slip. (Besides barrel rolls)

For the barrel roll I though about making it the adjacent up or down position as well, but in the ruler version you get that distance between the starting and ending. I made it the three hexes because when doing a barrel roll you can position the 1S at any point on the side of the base, and then place the base at any point on the other side, so you can get the same place just to the left or right, or you could be more forward, or behind where you started. This way was the best that I could come up with that kept that feel. The barrel roll is the closest thing that SW:XMG has to a slip maneuver.

When looking at the maneuvers in Hex form, don't follow the path, loot at the starting point and the end point, and their facings, this is how I made it as close to the rulers as possible. The actual path you use to get from point A to point B doesn't matter so much. Its the positioning and facing from end point in reference to the beginning that is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! This is what I'll use!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.