16 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Beyond base game and looking for more interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao Pedro
msg tools
mbmb
I have played Dominion, the base game, enough times to be looking for an expansion.
My question is: out of the best expansions (and Intrigue), what should I get next - bear in mind that I am looking for something which will give more interaction (I love cards like the Witch, for example).
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hyped78 wrote:
I have played Dominion, the base game, enough times to be looking for an expansion.
My question is: out of the best expansions (and Intrigue), what should I get next - bear in mind that I am looking for something which will give more interaction (I love cards like the Witch, for example).
Thanks!

Intrigue is geared more towards attack cards and interaction so seems like a logical choice for you. Seaside has more attack cards. I haven't played Dark Ages yet but seems to add a bit in there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote for Seaside. I really like the duration cards and there are several attack cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
hyped78 wrote:
Thanks!

Intrigue is geared more towards attack cards and interaction so seems like a logical choice for you. Seaside has more attack cards. I haven't played Dark Ages yet but seems to add a bit in there too.

I would definitely skip Intrigue and go straight to Seaside og Prosperity. I don't remember the number of attack cards in either of them, but I think they are vastly more interesting than both of the basic games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dulkal wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
hyped78 wrote:
Thanks!

I would definitely skip Intrigue and go straight to Seaside og Prosperity. I don't remember the number of attack cards in either of them, but I think they are vastly more interesting than both of the basic games.

Yeah, Intrigue is probably my least favorite. Base game and Seaside each have 5 attack cards whereas Intrigue has 4. I don't have my info on Hinterlands or Dark Ages, but the rest have 3 or less attacks.

But Intrigue does have masquerade (a non-attack attack) and tribute which can annoy your left hand neighbor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Green
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Later expansions usually have fewer attacks, but they also have more non-attack interactions and more power cards that players tend to fight each other over.

I like Prosperity because it has higher-level upgrades to the basic Gold and Provinces, some of the beefiest Power Cards in the game, and nifty victory point chips that give you points without taking up space in your deck. In terms of interaction, Prosperity has 3 direct attacks, 4 indirect interactions, and 8 other cards that players will often fight to the death to get the most copies of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your love of interaction, I'd purchase in this order:
Intrigue
Seaside
Prosperity
Hinterlands
Alchemy
Dark Ages
Cornucopia

The first two have a lot of player interaction.
Prosperity usually accelerates the game, but it does have some pretty nasty attacks. Interaction from this set is (normally) more of a race for the stronger enablers.
Hinterlands adds some indirect attacks and adds a lot of more complicated cards. I don't reccomend this for newer players.
Alchemy is a small expansion that tends to get a bad rap for adding potions (alternate currency) to the mix, but it has some great attack cards.
Dark Ages I haven't played yet, but it looks like a lot of the cards are very complicated and the benefits of many are not very obvious.
I like Cornucopia a lot, but as a small expansion it doesn't have a lot of attack cards or a lot of added player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Svengaard wrote:
I like Cornucopia a lot, but as a small expansion it doesn't have a lot of attack cards or a lot of added player interaction.

What?

Followers (gained via Tournament)
Fortune Teller
Young Witch
Jester

That's 3 kingdom attack cards plus a 4th non-kingdom attack cards, a much higher percentage than any other set released.

Horse Traders is a Reaction, providing additional interaction. There tends to be races for Tournaments, and the revealing of Provinces provides interaction. Young Witch requires a Bane pile, adding interaction in addition to the attack. And there tend to be runs on Hunting Party (I consider races for must-buy cards a form of interaction).

In terms of total cards, Cornucopia might not have the most attacks/interaction because it is a small set. But in terms of percentage of attacks/interactions, Cornucopia has the highest by far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Jester. It's fun to either get great cards or give more crap cards to your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've something like this before, but not since Dark Ages. So here is a list of the attack/interactions from each set:

(I'm doing it a little different this time, and including a new category - "must buy" cards. Those are cards that people will occasionally race to get the most of, depending on the kingdom setup. Not always a must buy, but when they are, the whole stack gets bought. The choices here are a little bit subjective and will probably be debated over.)

Base (25 kingdom cards):
5 Attacks (Bureaucrat, Militia, Spy, Thief, Witch) - 20%
1 Reaction (Moat) - 4%
4 "must buy" cards (Garden, Festival, Laboratory, Market)
Total different interactions (without "must buy" cards): 6 - 24%
Total different "interactions": 10 - 40%

Intrigue (25 kingdom cards):
4 Attacks (Swindler, Minion, Saboteur, Torturer) - 16%
1 Reaction (Secret Chamber) - 4%
2 Non-Attack/Non-Reaction Interactions (Masquerade, Tribute) - 8%
4 "must buy" cards (Great Hall, Conspirator, Minion, Nobles) - 16%
Total different interactions (without "must buy" cards): 6 - 24%
Total different "interactions": 10 - 40%

Seaside (26 kingdom cards):
5 Attacks (Ambassador, Cutpurse, Pirate Ship, Sea Hag, Ghost Ship) - ~19%
1 Non-Reaction Attack Prevention (Lighthouse) - ~4%
2 Non-Attack/Non-Reaction Interactions (Embargo, Smugglers) - ~8%
6 "must buy" cards (Fishing Village, Caravan, Island, Bazaar, Treasury, Wharf) - ~23%
Total different interactions (without "must buy" cards): 8 - ~31%
Total different "interactions": 16 - ~62%

Alchemy (12 kingdom cards):
2 Attacks (Scrying Pool, Familiar) - ~17%
1 Non-Attack/Non-Reaction Interaction (Possession) - ~8%
2 "must buy" cards (University, Alchemist) - 17%
Total different interactions (without "must buy" cards): 3 - 25%
Total different "interactions": 5 - ~42%

Prosperity (25 kingdom cards):
3 Attacks (Mountebank, Rabble, Goons) - 12%
1 Reaction (Watchtower) - 4%
4 Non-Attack/Non-Reaction Interactions (Trade Route, Bishop, Contraband, Vault) - 16%
5 "must buy" cards (City, Venture, Grand Market, King's Court, Peddlers) - 25%
Total different interactions (without "must buy" cards): 8 - 32%
Total different "interactions": 13 - 52%

Cornucopia (13 kingdom cards):
3 Attacks + 1 (Fortune Teller, Young Witch, Jester, Followers from Tournament) - ~23% or ~31%
1 Reaction (Horse Traders) - ~8% (Young Witch's Bane is technically not a Reaction, and Young Witch has already been listed)
1 Non-Attack/Non-Reaction Interaction (Tournament) - ~8%
2 "must buy" cards + 1 (Tournament, Hunting Party, Young Witch's Bane) - ~15%
Total different interactions (without "must buy" cards): 5 - ~38%
Total different "interactions": 6 - ~46%

Hinterlands (26 kingdom cards):
3 Attacks (Oracle, Noble Brigand, Margrave) - ~12%
3 Reactions (Fool's Gold, Tunnel, Trader) - ~12%
1 Non-Reaction Attack Prevention (Jack of All Trades) - ~4%
3 Non-Attack/Non-Reaction Interactions (Duchess, Embassy, Ill-Gotten Gains) - ~12%
6 "must buy" cards (Fool's Gold, Tunnel, Highway, Ill-Gotten Gains, Stable, Border Village) - ~23%
Total different interactions (without "must buy" cards): 10 - ~38%
Total different "interactions": 13 - 50%

Dark Ages (35 kingdom cards):
6 Attacks (Urchin/Mercenary, Marauder, Knights, Cultist, Pillage, Rogue) - ~17%
2 Reactions (Beggar, Market Square) - ~6% (not including Hovel because it is not a kingdom card and does not react to opponents)
2 Non-Attack/Non-Reaction Interactions (Forager, Grave Robber) - ~6%
I haven't played Dark Ages enough to know what cards are "must buy", so I won't even attempt it.
Total different interactions (without "must buy" cards): 10 - ~29%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
And there tend to be runs on Hunting Grounds
Given the context, I assume you mean Hunting Party?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely wouldn't call market or treasury "must buys", even if you consider "must buy" to mean a card that is frequently purchased and will often deplete. Market is only really strong for the +buy and in some combos; chaining them en masse is generally a weaker use of your 5 cost buys. Treasury can be pretty strong, but isn't particularly great within strong engines for the same reason as market; +1 card, +1 coin, + 1 action is generally not the best use of 5 coin.

Ill-gotten gains is the +copper card? I definitely wouldn't put that as a "must buy" either.

I appreciate the numerical analysis of the rest though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Stunna wrote:
Definitely wouldn't call market or treasury "must buys", even if you consider "must buy" to mean a card that is frequently purchased and will often deplete. Market is only really strong for the +buy and in some combos; chaining them en masse is generally a weaker use of your 5 cost buys. Treasury can be pretty strong, but isn't particularly great within strong engines for the same reason as market; +1 card, +1 coin, + 1 action is generally not the best use of 5 coin.

Ill-gotten gains is the +copper card? I definitely wouldn't put that as a "must buy" either.

I appreciate the numerical analysis of the rest though.

As I said, it is all subject to debate. But I have seen Market and Treasury run out most of the times they are available (even though it may not be the smartest move). And about the only times I don't see Ill-Gotten Gains run out is if there is something like Traders to make Curse distribution a bad thing. Of course the number of players makes a difference too. These cards will occasionally run out in 2-player games, but almost always in 3+ player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
Svengaard wrote:

What?

Followers (gained via Tournament)
Fortune Teller
Young Witch
Jester

That's 3 kingdom attack cards plus a 4th non-kingdom attack cards, a much higher percentage than any other set released.

And that's why I shouldn't be trying to post anything late at night.
If you remember those attacks then Cornucopia should be rated higher. I'd get it before Dark Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Higginbotham
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My advice on this is to look at the cards in each expansion and choose the expansion that you think would be most interesting with your play group.
You can look at the cards either here on BGG or you could go to rio grande game's website and look in the rule books, which proved full and very detail descriptions of the cards and how they work.
Just about everyone here has their take on which expansions are the best and which ones provide the most "interaction." What I find, is that all the expansions are pretty well balanced for "interactive" cards and that what really makes the game interactive is the people you play with and how they play the game. Each expansion adds a certain level of new complexity to the game (Intrigue adds choice to what cards do, Seaside adds cards that remain in play for more than one turn, Alchemy adds a separate currency - potions, Prosperity just makes everything bigger -everyone's trying to crank their hands up to 11 for a Colony- and you get to rack up points outside your deck, Cornucopia adds a set of cards not in the supply, Hinterlands has cards that do something when you purchase them, Dark Ages has cards that do something when you trash them). With that in mind, do your research, figure out what will be the best fit for your group. If all else fails, treat it like Pokemon and try to catch them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could choose only one more Dominion expansion aside from Base + Intrigue I would say:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Dominion: Seaside

THANKblankYOUblankFORblankTIME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.