Hide
12 Posts

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!» Forums » General

Subject: Similar game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff James
msg tools
Everyone I play this game with realy like this and I was looking for a similar game maybe with a little more depth, any suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Survive was one of the first games that got us in to Gaming in our house and is still the most played, we have built our Games up and Great games with a little more meat that are family fun I would suggest

Ticket to ride with alvin and dexture expansion we prefer europe version.

Airlines Europe, My wifes favourite game at the moment.

Ogre Castle...............Great fun

Robo Rally...............Great fun

Pirates Cove ............Great fun

IMO you can notgo wrong with any of the above for light to medium fun Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff James
msg tools
I have been looking at ticket to ride for some time. I have it on my iPad and enjoy it a lot. The price is the only thing that keeps me from buying it. Waiting to see some sale at target like 25% off. Pirate cove looks interesting.
Would you suggest the mini expansion for survive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squid makes it more spiteful 5-6 player is more fun so yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was looking for a similar game

Ticket to Ride, Robo Rally, etc aren't exactly what I would call similar.

My suggestion is The Downfall of Pompeii.

It's similar in the fact that you're trying to escape an erupting volcano, but it has more strategy. In Survive you're just trying to escape, but in DOP you need to get as many pieces onto the board as close to the city exits as possible, and then you place lava tiles in such a way as to block exits and kill pieces.

Check it out, I think you'll like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also give Eruption a look.
I haven't played it so I don't know if it has more or less strategy than Survive, but it certainly seems to be similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff616 wrote:
Everyone I play this game with realy like this and I was looking for a similar game maybe with a little more depth, any suggestions

What do you mean by similar? Depth of strategy? Theme? Play time? Player interaction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff James
msg tools
I was thinking game play/mechanics. Like the "take that" style. Doesn't have to be island themed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Courtland-Smith
United Kingdom
HASTINGS
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Jeff,

As your family love playing 'Survive: Escape from Atlantis' my suggestions for a couple of similar retro games to play are;

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs which I designed and Alaska invented by Eric Solomon. Both games were around in the early 80's are can be looked up on the BGG.

Oddly, I never met Eric even though we shared the same agent and he lived nearby me 30 years ago. I do remember he was an ace croquet player! It was Eric's Alaskan game that contains a single polar-bear that inspired me to add 3-D playing pieces to games. Plus, of course, hexagonal spaces. Credit where credit is due!

Jules

Waddingtons 'Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs' 1980's.
Ravensburger 'Alaska' 1979.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff616 wrote:
I was thinking game play/mechanics. Like the "take that" style. Doesn't have to be island themed.

Two 'take that' games we like are The Downfall of Pompeii and Manhattan (although I wouldn't really say that Manhattan has more depth.)

But we also like Cosmic Encounter for all of the fun interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Paul Arends
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Ravensburger game Alaska is probably the closest thing to Survive!. I think it even might be the inspiration behind Survive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Paul Arends
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't even read the reply Julian Courtland-Smith gave. To mister Courtland-Smith: I own three versions of the game Atlantis! I love that game. My girlfriend actually bought the game Alaska first at a Thriftshop thinking it was the game that i was looking for but she didn't remember the name. When i saw Alska i thought: That actually might have been the inspiration behind Atlantis and when i finally found Atlantis at another thriftshop i compared the boards and convinced myself i had to be right. Happy to read that that really was the case. Atlantis is a better balanced game then Alaska though. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.