Hide
7 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: How is this different then Zombies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Blanchard
msg tools
This isn't meant to start an arguement, but an honest question from someone who owns Zombies already, who had the chance to playtest Zombicide tonight.

I do realize the map is laid out already with zombicide and the zombie placement is a bit different. I also found zombicide to be a bit deeper. But not enough to dive into.

We played scenario two and a tutorial level, neither of which generated much tension and we won both easily. Granted the Tutorial you are supposed too. With scenerio two we even added an extra victory condition and still won with ease.

I really wanted to like it, but was underwehlmed...am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex de Burgh
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario two is known to be broken (way too easy). Try Scenario 01 instead, that should give you a much better feel for the game.

It's not really like Zombies at all, well except from the obvious - they both have zombies in them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rune_74 wrote:
We played scenario two and a tutorial level, neither of which generated much tension and we won both easily. Granted the Tutorial you are supposed too. With scenerio two we even added an extra victory condition and still won with ease.

Well, I don't have, and have never played, Zombies!!! so I won't compare or contrast Zombicide and it, but I can tell you this, if you only played the Tutorial and Scenario 02, you played the two easiest scenarios in the game.

Try 01, or 05, or 09.

Or even 03, 04, 06, 07, 08, and 10.

Or the Switch City Campaign.

Or the new Lost scenario.

Or any one of the player-made custom scenarios.

Or create your own scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle

Seabrook
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Zombies and have played both games several times.

Zombies!!! Is fun if you have never played a zombie game before but loses it's charm over time.

Zombicide is usually not as exciting the first time because you play a relatively easy level and are learning the rules. Where Zombicide really shines is when you play really hard levels. It just keeps getting better each time you play.

I started play testing a custom scenario for the Guillotine contest with a friend last weekend. We ended up playing for five hours and never won once, always just me more game. It was really tense and there was two way excitement. At times we were close to winning and every roll and spawn card mattered. We were discussing odds and it was incredibly fun (unlike an intense game of chess or other thinking games).

At other times there were negative reactions and excitement when things couldn't possibly go worse. On two games we spawned an abomination on the very first spawn card (yes the cards were shuffled).

Of course there are the obvious gameplay difference like coop vs competitive, movement, combat, etc bit I don't think that is what you were asking about. I suggest playing different scenarios and seek out the hard ones with extensive play testing and verification that they are indeed challenging. Otherwise it's just a really long moderate game, move this here, roll dice now...

(I plan to post the custom scenario when I'm finally finished modifying and play testing, it's still a bit too hard.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex de Burgh
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a thread with difficulty ratings for scenarios (an official one is due to come out as well)

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/857214/the-guide-to-scenario...

Hope this helps (and that I've posted the link properly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What I really like about Zombicide is how it is a co-op game, but when things start to look really grim, my group (including me) have a tendency of turning it into every man for himself.

Like the last time I heroically took a chance when my Nick jumped into the zombie fray trying to save Wanda. On several turns we were stuck on that zone with the Abomination and all things zombie closing in on us. In the darkest hour luck was on our side and Nick cleared the horde of 6 zombies in a turn. Which gave Wanda the choice of staying and sticking it to an almost certain death or flee and leave Nick, (the guy who had just saved her sorry A...). And so Nick ended his life while Wanda rolled away..
You do not see that in a game of Zombies!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rune_74 wrote:
I really wanted to like it, but was underwehlmed...am I missing something?

Nope. It's just another me-too-zombie game. I don't get it myself.

But I don't envy the amount of heat you're about to get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.