Subject: 7 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
I don't like playing with BSG for various reasons with 7 players. But one of the reason is that I don't think its very fun to play BSG with 7 players as a Cylon leader. Has anybody come up with a balanced approached to play BSG with 7 players? There are some people I know that will play BSG with 7 players (even though I think 7 players are the absolutely worse to play with).

I remember one time playing a 7-player BSG game with only 2 cylons and a sympathizer and that didn't seem to work either. And I'm not sure if its balanced to do it with 3 cylons and 4 non-cylons.

So I'm curious what people have come up with as the best way to play this with 7-players. Again, I personally don't like playing this as 7. But I'm just looking for what will be the least painful for me to play, based on other's people experience. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 player game was boring for some players because the turns took so long. Also the the options you have are quite slim as a cylon, you need to reveal fast because every time you get your regular turn, you might have made a complete jump cycle again...

- Limit the time of the discussion to minimum before taking a decision or doing a check
- put the cylon leader into position 3-4 after the starting player
- strict rules about secrecy and so on also to reduce possibility of discussions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:
I don't like playing with BSG for various reasons with 7 players. But one of the reason is that I don't think its very fun to play BSG with 7 players as a Cylon leader. Has anybody come up with a balanced approached to play BSG with 7 players? There are some people I know that will play BSG with 7 players (even though I think 7 players are the absolutely worse to play with).
[shrug] 2 concurrent games of BSG with 3p and 4p?

If you're the only who doesn't enjoy playing as a CL, let someone else do so, unless it realy is everyone who feels that way?

If humans win alot, handicap them with stricter secrecy rules. If cylons win more, handicap them by giving humans a wild, freebie resource.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/773669/adding-a-resource...

Short of those, go with some untested variants, like...
3rd cylon gets the cylon-symp card instead, and/or deduct start resources like with FFG's official no-symp variant.

hobbes27 wrote:
I remember one time playing a 7-player BSG game with only 2 cylons and a sympathizer and that didn't seem to work either. And I'm not sure if its balanced to do it with 3 cylons and 4 non-cylons.
Sympathetic cylon should only be for 4p or 6p games only. You use Cylon Leaders (CL) for 7p games. Assuming that's what you meant, there is a difference, as a CL gets the whole game to try to get his agenda in, whereas a Symp-cylon only has from since 4-distance to 6-distance to do so (as few asl just 2 jumps left for a human win). The other thing with that has been how people report Agendas can be unbalanced or skewed (which if ya ask me, the way cards come out do that right there).

The old thinking is the game itself is a "cylon player" (a necessary one at that since it of course is the only place to get jump icons or its equivalent). So a 3p game becomes evenly matched since it's 2vs2 while 5p games are 3v3. However, the comparison ain't linear in larger scales, as 7p thinking it's straight up 4v4 actually ends up with cylons having the lead. 1 extra super crisis card and that extra cylon turn isn't made up by having an extra human player it seems, and it makes sense the official 7p game requires a CL. IIRC, the PBF games as well as BGG users IRL games tried 7p games with 3 full cylons, and overall, it was too much for the humans.

For comparison's sake....
The sympathetic cylon is half and half, so in a 4p game, it's 2.5 humans vs. 1.5 cylons + the game for 2.5 vs 2.5. In a 6p game, it's 3.5 humans vs. 2.5 cylons + the game for 3.5 vs 3.5

The cylon sympathizer is either half a human OR cylon, so in a 6p game, 3 vs 3.5 if cylon symp turn cylon, or 3.5 vs. 3 if cylon symp gets Brigged and is human (not counting if symp cylon turns out to be a full cylon)

hobbes27 wrote:
So I'm curious what people have come up with as the best way to play this with 7-players. Again, I personally don't like playing this as 7. But I'm just looking for what will be the least painful for me to play, based on other's people experience.
see above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather play a 7 player game than a 5 player game with a Cylon Leader. That said, yeah there are still problems.

1) The agendas need tweaking. Genocide should be less stringent, as a CL has no reliable way to influence Food loss. Mutual Annihilation needs a complete redesign.

2) Give the Cylon Leader a fixed position in the player order. Position 3 is probably the fairest. With so few turns per player, this gives him a little boost in achieving his agenda.

3) Read my suggestions in this post. Since the Cylons get to draw cards less frequently, and can't wait for a perfect reveal, they need a little boost in that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A way I've played 7 before with no problems* is like this:

Create a loyalty deck of 11 (12 with Exodus) Not a Cylon cards and 2 Cylon cards (you may prefer to only use 1, however I think 2 makes for a more fun game).
At the sleeper phase, add Cylon cards until there are three in the deck total (so add one if your starting deck had two, or add two if you started with one), shuffle, and deal loyalty like normal.
(Note: Add 1/2 extra YANAC cards for Baltar/Boomer/both as normal)

The end result is that you can have a 3v4 game, which is quite nasty on the humans, but a few factors mitigate this slightly - you certainly don't have three before sleeper, quite likely only one, and there's a higher chance of having a double Cylon (I think) which reduces Cylon firepower slightly.

*I was using Exodus though. Not sure you have enough loyalty cards without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played a couple of different ways and observed a few more. Real answer is, 7p just doesn't work well. The turns take too long, agendas are really hard to fulfill with so few turns, and 3v4 is just too harsh. It makes boarding parties a lot more painful to deal with. The closest I've ever seen to a balanced 7p game is Vollick's variant rules, but he likes to take advantage of the PBF format for his variants, so he likes being able to hide info from the players and having a moderator manage everything. The first part includes that I don't think he has published all his agendas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.