Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion:

I had really high hopes for this game, but it didn't quite live up to my own hype. I was hoping for a fun little adventure game with cards, but instead it was very highly abstract and one of those games where I put a card down I don't want to just so the game moves ahead.

This is not your normal dungeon crawler or adventure game. Everything is very abstract and you do not upgrade your armor or purchase items. There is a very odd upgrading your group atmosphere, but you need to be careful upgrading your team as there is no way to dump a bad character later.

This is a game that is very different from other games and really stands alone. The question for me came down to how much I would actually play this game. It was a tad too abstract for me and it never felt like I was going on an adventure. It also lasted a little too long for my taste for a game of this weight.

In the end, I did purge the game, but not for the usual reasons. I normally purge a game because I did not like it. Instead, I purged this game because I had better games to play. The game is okay and plays fine, just not to my taste.

Components:

The components are all standard fare. You get some undersized cards with okay artwork. You get some cubes, chits, and a very abstract board. Everything is fine for a abstract game and/or a Euro game, but not for your normal adventure game. Yet, I guess this is a Euro-Adventure game, not an Ameri-trash game.

Rule Book:

The rule book is very good. The game is not overly complicated, yet there are some medium level concepts in the game and the rule book does a great job of explaining the rules and giving examples. While not the greatest rule book over and the game is not full of rules like a war game, the book does a good job overall.

Flow of the Game:

On your turn, you get two options. Place a card and get the symbol on it (coins or otherwise) or you can move from an area to another area (thus fighting evil guys or gaining characters for your party).

The trick is knowing where to place your cards, when to make your move, and which characters to add to your party. Each adventurer also has a unique goal to attain and when they do they can level up.

The last action that can be done is a temple action. These allow you to break the rules and perform a special ability. Each temple (placed around the board) allows a different ability to be performed.

Where you place your cards is very important. Do you get the resource you need or do you place on the path you want to go down? Tough decisions. Sort of.

Should I buy this?:

Maybe. If you want an abstract, medium length, easy to play, adventure game (and I use adventure game loosely) then this might be for you. This game can be fun and it does play well with two. I don't know if I can recommend this game fully as the game is forgettable. I think you can find a better game to play, yet I'm sure someone will post that they love this game and it is the best game ever. Even so, it is a decent game, maybe even a good game, yet somehow easily forgotten.

I'm going to purge, but it is a soft purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
I think this review sums up my feelings pretty well - it's not a remarkable game...it's just kind of 'there'. I've only played the game a few times (all with 3+ players), but it didn't receive anything other than lukewarm/meh responses from the other players. There was also a potential issue in one game where someone got the level 3 power 'walk along incomplete paths' and basically stomped all over the other two players for the next 45 minutes or so. Ouch.

I had some idea what I was getting into before I bought the game (a more euro-ey design, despite the theme) but I'm still a little disappointed. It's the very eptimome of 'screw yourself to screw the other guys up even more', and that kind of game play grates on me pretty quick. I'm quite fond of euro-games that don't follow the more typical themes (Core Worlds, for example), so I thought I'd try out this one too. Looks like it just didn't click with me (or anyone else I played it with), though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think thats a fair summary. I own the game and enjoy it. Its not great and its not really an adventure game it feels more like a puzzle solving game. There are a few different ways to play it .

I think if you go into with the mindset its a puzzle game its fine. I dont enjoy it enough to want to play it every week but do enjoy it enough to get it out every few months. At an hour a game it has the feel of a meaty or medium weight filler.

I enjoy the theme and 'feel' of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect response.

Clwe wrote:
I think this review sums up my feelings pretty well - it's not a remarkable game...it's just kind of 'there'. I've only played the game a few times (all with 3+ players), but it didn't receive anything other than lukewarm/meh responses from the other players. There was also a potential issue in one game where someone got the level 3 power 'walk along incomplete paths' and basically stomped all over the other two players for the next 45 minutes or so. Ouch.

I had some idea what I was getting into before I bought the game (a more euro-ey design, despite the theme) but I'm still a little disappointed. It's the very eptimome of 'screw yourself to screw the other guys up even more', and that kind of game play grates on me pretty quick. I'm quite fond of euro-games that don't follow the more typical themes (Core Worlds, for example), so I thought I'd try out this one too. Looks like it just didn't click with me (or anyone else I played it with), though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game and for me it has gotten better with time, probably because it is so different than what most adventure games present themselves as. I like the artwork and design, and I think that the cards are pretty thematic, like the captain wanting to arrive at the shore. I would argue that the character ambitions are as thematic as traditional character stat systems, if not more since they are more down to earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mlock wrote:
I really enjoy this game and for me it has gotten better with time, probably because it is so different than most adventure games that I had to get the used to it. I like the artwork and design, and I think that the cards are pretty thematic, like the captain wanting to arrive at the shore. I would argue that the character ambitions are as thematic as the traditional character stat systems, if not more since they are more down to earth.

Maybe we did something wrong, but I would have liked to have been able to drop people from our party. It also seemed we upgraded our party pretty quickly and then that part of the game was over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At that point it is all about scoring big points for adventures.

william4192 wrote:
mlock wrote:
I really enjoy this game and for me it has gotten better with time, probably because it is so different than most adventure games that I had to get the used to it. I like the artwork and design, and I think that the cards are pretty thematic, like the captain wanting to arrive at the shore. I would argue that the character ambitions are as thematic as the traditional character stat systems, if not more since they are more down to earth.

Maybe we did something wrong, but I would have liked to have been able to drop people from our party. It also seemed we upgraded our party pretty quickly and then that part of the game was over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.