Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a HQ move from one hex to another hex by moving from one stationary unit to the other stationary unit in the adjacent hex.

Can the HQ in T9 move to T8 (and possibly U7, then V7) without having to move any of the original accompaning units from T9?

Interpretation 1: Yes. Para 1.3.3.1 says a HQ may only move when accompanied by a unit from it's formation. The HQ is with (i.e. accompanied) by a unit from it's formation in each hex. Units only need to be in adjacent hexes for a HQ to move from one unit to the other.

Interpretation 2: No. The HQ is not accompanied during the actual move from hex to hex. Essentially a "gap" exists between one hex and the other and a HQ can't move unless the unit it is accompaning moves to fill that gap (moves from one hex to another). Units need to be in the same hex for a HQ to move from one unit to the other.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interpretation 2 is correct. Moving is moving, even between adjacent hexes. The rules do not prohibit an HQ from effectively changing accompanying units by "switching" when it is stacked with two units, and moving (or not) with a different unit.

BTW, previous editions of WaW (BnB and older) allowed HQ's to move. But, the HQ movement rules were fiddly, and seldom used, so they were dropped simplified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent.

As always thank you for your answer and your patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mark. That's exactly right. In War of the Worlds I'm testing something new. Headquarters and Formation markers will be folded into something I call Point of Command Markers.

They are placed in the cup. When drawn you place them on a unit on the map. Command range is drawn from that point, and they supply a small bonus to units in that hex. After the activation, they are removed.

Eliminates A LOT of silly rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parker
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
...Point of Command Markers. ...you place them on a unit on the map. Command range is drawn from that point....

Does that mean the battalion TOC can scoot across open spaces by beaming down from where it was last activation onto a unit hiding behind a town or woods? Ever ridden in a M113? Sloooooow.

On the other hand, I like it that it would reduce the chances an enemy would always target the HQ hex. Know how to tell the command tanks? Count the antenna. I always asked why tankers didn't mount old broken antennas so that all tanks had as many antennas as the battalion commander. Just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Thanks, Mark. That's exactly right. In War of the Worlds I'm testing something new. Headquarters and Formation markers will be folded into something I call Point of Command Markers.

They are placed in the cup. When drawn you place them on a unit on the map. Command range is drawn from that point, and they supply a small bonus to units in that hex. After the activation, they are removed.

Eliminates A LOT of silly rules.

Retro fit for Waw?

Extra counters in an up coming LOF Mag maybe?

A great idea, but that is going to hurt both sides (as far as combat goes)....well then that is ok, right?
I'm one of those HQ hunter ho's, on the one hand and a HQ stack it where it does the most damage (especially firing into cities)people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kev,

Check out the variant article I had in LOF #12. Takes out the HQs the in WaW. Instead, the HQs function as abstract markers to determine command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
ohhh.. Jeff. I read that article.

That is core, canon blasphemy.

A major change, I cannot be using. I think it is headed in the right direction towards a solution for a minor problem, that players can already adjust to as a quirk, unique feature or whatever you desire to call it.

But it fundamentally in one fell swoop for good or ill changes the game.

It does not not make a minor change, it is a major change to how every single scenario will play out.

That would erase the value in my minds eye of 2 years of game play.

Not happening on my board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ha ha ha.

Yeah I can understand how you can feel that way. Aside from testing it, I haven't actually used it myself. It was meant though to counter some criticisms that have been levelled at the game:

1) HQ bonuses are too strong

2) It's still too easy to hunt HQs

I think the variant rules address those concerns well. Overall I don't think it changes game balance all that much, but there may be scenarios where they do swing balance. Two other effects are that it is now a bit easier to spot for artillery, and formations have a bit more flexibility in deployment now that you don't have to worry about HQ vulnerability.

It sounds like my variant may have planted a seed for the upcoming War of the Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parker
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a battle captain in an infantry battalion TOC and believe me, the battalion (task force, brigade) TOC isn't going to be moving around to confer some real life assist to the assault power of a unit assaulting a town. If the HQ's focus on one small part of the battle, the overall situation spins out of control. US infantry platoon leaders can call for fire and when I led two platoons (the first in 2000) we often had FO's attached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.