Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I just focus on getting boosters? Or pick up cheap lots of commons?

I think that tons of commons can be acquired for much less money than boosters, but boosters might have better units. However, having a ton of units would give more options for building warbands, so maybe I should choose quantity over quality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would get a big lot of figures first. You might even get lots that include Uncommons or Rares for far less money per figure than buying boosters.

And having a bunch of minis will give you more options to build bands and allow you to get a better feel for the (variety within the) game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way, in my opinion to get into this game is try to buy cases of the minis from e-bay. They aren't as available as they were after the game died, but I still see them on an occasional search and they are still a heck of a lot cheaper than the game was when it was in production. If your going to center in an area, the base game and baxter's (sp) were designed together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Laudwic wrote:
If your going to center in an area, the base game and baxter's (sp) were designed together.
I'll echo this. The Base Set and Baxar's War are probably the best entry point (before the mechanics began multiplying & gameplay got marginally more complex.) eBay lots are probably the best bang-for-your-buck. Although if you can find a sealed case, you could go with that.

Things to keep in mind:
1) You don't "need" the special Dreamblade dice. A simple D6 will do, just use 4 & 5 for blanks and 6 for the blade.
2) The vinyl play-mats are nice, but pretty rare these days. The paper mats from starters work just as well (and have a beginner side to them that explains a lot of the scoring
3) Rares aren't always necessarily the best figs. There are plenty of rares that no one uses (Jack-in-the-Box) and plenty of commons that people do (Spellbound Scissors.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
There are plenty of rares that no one uses (Jack-in-the-Box) and plenty of commons that people do (Spellbound Scissors.)

Blashphemy!

Wait until you're staring down the barrel of a Jack-in-the-Box/Buzzclaw combo. Then we'll see who's mad. Oh, we'll see...

But in general, the mayor is completely right. There are many commons that are absolute staples (Spellbound Scissors, Cannibal Pariah), and there are a good share of rubbish rares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
the base game and baxar's were designed together.

I've heard this stated before, but does anyone know where this info comes from? Are there Dreamblade design articles anywhere that talk about the genesis of the game and the expansions?

Man, would I LOVE the same thing for Netrunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.