Subject: AC-130 cannon attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
Each cannon acts independently, right? So can it fire at one or all units in one hex, or in both hexes? Can each cannon take more than one hit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Roberts
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read it, a cannon can only attack a single enemy in the same hex as the aircraft firing it.
see attack choices on p.15, at the bottom it says:
"OR
Attack one Enemy Unit with Cannons, if it is in your same Terrain Hex."

As far as taking more than one hit, I'd say yes it can.
P.18 says "an aircraft can suffer from the same type of damage more than once."
I can't find anything to say that cannons are an exception.

[edit] Forgot that the AC-130 fires into adjacent hexes to its left rather than the same hex, but I still think each cannon fires at a single enemy target. Each cannon can be fired at different enemies though for a total of 3 targets.
It says on p.24 that it "can target units in one or both of its side hexes" so they do act independently. (emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
NezRobbo wrote:
The way I read it, a cannon can only attack a single enemy in the same hex as the aircraft firing it.
see attack choices on p.15, at the bottom it says:
"OR
Attack one Enemy Unit with Cannons, if it is in your same Terrain Hex."

As far as taking more than one hit, I'd say yes it can.
P.18 says "an aircraft can suffer from the same type of damage more than once."
I can't find anything to say that cannons are an exception.

I'm well aware of that. I just thought that some of these rules might be twisted since AC-130 behaves a bit differently. thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Roberts
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly, although I can't see anything to say so.
Maybe a more experienced player will stop by with a definitive answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

according to page 24 of the rules ...
each turn, a SPECTRE can attack up to a total of three targets located in one or two of the eligible hexes. Assign each cannon to a target before rolling for all three of them.
The game system abstractly distinguishes between the three weapon types (attack values 1, 3 and 5) (actually the US Air Force equipped the AC-130A/H/U with several different weapon types, including a 105 mmm howitzer, different types of autocannons and gatling guns, even mortars).
If the SPECTRE suffers a cannon hit, eliminate one random weapon. Each weapon is destroyed when suffering a hit.

That's how I play it.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tuner 13 wrote:
Hi from Germany,

according to page 24 of the rules ...
each turn, a SPECTRE can attack up to a total of three targets located in one or two of the eligible hexes. Assign each cannon to a target before rolling for all three of them.
The game system abstractly distinguishes between the three weapon types (attack values 1, 3 and 5) (actually the US Air Force equipped the AC-130A/H/U with several different weapon types, including a 105 mmm howitzer, different types of autocannons and gatling guns, even mortars).
If the SPECTRE suffers a cannon hit, eliminate one random weapon. Each weapon is destroyed when suffering a hit.

That's how I play it.

Cheers
U.L.H.

+1

The AC-130's cannons are also weird because they're considered Stand-Off weapons, and they cannot ever hit enemies in cover because of the in-cover rules.

Still one of my favorite aircraft in the game, though. I like combining it with an A-10 or an Apache. The AC-130 blasts everything it flies by and absorbs a lot of damage, while the other aircraft takes out major threats from a distance and plays clean-up on anything that went into cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it often alone to damage C/S battalions (it doesn't suffer from WP penalty and a C battalion isn't tough enough to resist its power). Yes, enemies can use cover, but normally you can at least damage the battalion and deny its bonus (+2 to move roll can be a big problem!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.