Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All.

I play a lot of games with my girlfriend.

Games that work
Small world, Twilight, game of thrones, Android, Summoner wars, Pillars of the earth.zombicide, descent, hive. Thunderstone, dungeon petz, galaxy trucker, category 5,drako, Mission red planet.

Games that don't work.
Wings of war (theme) King of tokyo, lost cities dry euros.

Are there any good two player area control, theme heavy games that you recommend? Campaign mode for continuity would be a bonus, not bothered it plays with more than two.

I have risk legacy and game of thrones but neither work two players, Small world and Misson red planet sort of cover area control.

I was looking at war of the ring second edition? any other contenders?

I'd rather not a skirmish style game as we have descent, zombicide and summoner wars. definately after big map pretty game, visual and theme are key. Themes can be a turn off for her so WW2 games might be out, We are up for heavy or war games, (twilight, dungeon pets)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring or D & D Conquest of Nerath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
So does this mean you've already tried Risk? If not I'd suggest Risk: Balance of Power
The map might be a bit small for what you are looking for though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played it, but there is a two player version of Risk: Risk: Balance of Power.

Axis & Allies works well with two players, as one person plays the axis and the other allies.

The board was a little open, but I liked Attack! with just two.

Finally, Empires of the Void scales down to two and still works fairly well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
And there is a 2 player Antike (Duellum?) coming out. Even without the new version, normal Antike using the Definitive 2-player variant found here works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played risk for years. I was loosely aware of the other flavours of risk.

I haven't done much research into area wasn't sure where to begin!

I will look into the other games.thank you so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God. 2 Player game, area map and heavy theme (100 years War). More important, a good, fun game to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:
War of the Ring or D & D Conquest of Nerath.

War of the ring....for sure..

Nerath to me personally is best with 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FOr something more abstract, there's Sun Tzu

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle might not be a "conquest" type of game, but it's definitely area-control over a map and it's a 2-players game.

The fact it's the #1 ranked game on BGG would at least require to take a look . It's there for a reason.

Everybody i know who played this were not really interested in the theme... then they played it and all would like to play again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got and love Twilight struggle, great game, and theme works perfectly. We'd like a game a bit like game of thrones, which forces / supply lines and battles.

This is not an area I've looked at before. My collection is quite balanced with 1 - 2 games covering most themes and set for 1-7 players.

We tried Memoir 44. theme wasn't perfect and it was a bit too skirmishy.

I did look at legends of andor but seems too simple.

Risk balance of power is cheap, i might pick that up.

Thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
You could take a look at Alien Frontiers and consider the Alien Frontiers: Factions expansion if you want some more flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage. Excellent game and a step up in theme and interest from Risk et al.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people find Tigris & Euphrates dry but I find it quite thematic and very engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom dietl
Germany
regensburg
bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
take a look at:

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikusa may be something you'd like. It's a very theme heavy area control game set in feudal Japan. You have warring Daimyo and armies, all based on Japanese history. It's kind of like Axis & Allies, in that you have different types of units that attack differently. There are bowmen and gunners that get to attack early, as well as swordsmen, spearmen, ronin (wandering samurai you can hire), etc.

It's a pretty deep game, and it can take a decent amount of time. It took my friends and I about 6 hours to finish a game, over 3 different sessions. The game was really close too, as it came down whoever was able to hire the ninja on the final turn (the ninja can assassinate a daimyo). I put a ton of Koku into hiring the ninja but so did my opponent, so neither one of us got to hire him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything from the Axis and Allies series would work. It's a less abstract version of RISK with more depth. Theme is an obvious issue here as it's WW2, but it's worth a try. Some of the various versions have significantly different gameplay also.

I see you did Wings of War and noted the theme as the problem. If you liked the general gameplay, but just the theme was a problem, how about the new X-Wing miniatures game? Dogfighting X-wings and Tie fighters was a huge hit at my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.