Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So you think that $10/$20 delivery charges you pay for buying your board games is just crazy ? Well you are about to feel a whole lot better .

Welcome to the wonderful world of buying board games from abroad, where I wish I would pay $10/$20/$30 and be done with.

Country of experience : India

1. I'm sharing information about my actual purchases from Nov 2011 till now
2. I always need to cross $200 threshold to make it economical (or really heavy game) to achieve shipping cost = 55% of my purchases .
3. After you place an order you never know how much import duty / taxes you will have to pay. Of 4 orders I've placed with Cardhaus , I've paid a duty of $20 each on two.
4. Once you've paid such a premium it's quite difficult to wait for 15/18/21+ days for your order, I'm sure impatient people like me can vouch for this.
5. The purpose of the post is to know about cheaper alternates(please don't suggest print and play) , make sure you feel bad for me whistle but more importantly I want to feel better if others are paying higher prices devil

Amazon (FEDEX)
Once upon a time , I was naive/very excited to buy my 1st board game (and didn't know about boardgaminggeek) and I bought stuff from Amazon. It burned a hole in my pocket so deep , I still kick myself for not researching well.

Not only was I charged horrendous import taxes , the shipment was delayed by more than 2.5 weeks.
Quote:

Ascension Chronicle Of The Godslayer - $30.03
7 Wonders: Leaders - $21.55
Ascension: Return Of The Fallen Expansion - $23.39
7 Wonders - $36.15

Subtotal: $111.12
Shipping & Handling: $81.15
Import Fees Deposit $59.76 cry
Grand Total: $252.03

Cardhaus (UPS)
Absolutely love my experience with them, my stuff usually arrives in 3-5 days flat. It's easier to track the package as well.
Quote:

- 1x The Settlers of Catan - 5-6 Player Extension, $16.00
 - 1x Settlers of Catan: Cities and Knights of Catan , $16.00
 - 1x Settlers of Catan: Cities & Knights , $33.60
 - 1x Civilization by Sid Meier , $38.95
 - 1x Civilization: Fame and Fortune Expansion $23.95

Subtotal: $128.50
Shipping: $118.38
Total : 246.88

- 1x Stone Age, $29.95
 - 1x Claustrophobia: De Profundis, $32.95
 - 1x Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 - India & Switzerland, $20.95
 - 1x Twilight Struggle: Deluxe Edition , $39.95

Subtotal: $123.80
Shipping: $110.45
Total:    $234.25

- 1x Eclipse, , $99.95
 - 1x Dominant Species 3rd Edition, $55.95
 - 1x Dixit: Journey,, $23.95
 - 1x Agricola, $48.95

Subtotal: $228.80
Shipping: $125.69
Total:    $354.49

CLSGames (USPS)
You can never beat Robert in replying to email , he always replies in great detail within few hours . CLSGames have better inventory as well. At first , I hoped to replicate success of Cardhaus and use USPS Express International which delivers in 5-7 days but at last moment we discovered it doesn't deliver to Mumbai , India. Instead we had to use Priority Express which takes around 15-20 days . Robert shipped it on 15th Sep, I expect to receive in 6-7 days (It's Sep 26 today).

UPDATE RECEIVED IT ON 27th Sep
Quote:

Stone Age: Style Is the Goal - 21.95

Die Macher (open copy) - 59.95
Railways of the World Event Deck -6.95
Trajan - 49.95
Commands & Colors Ancients 4th Edition - 36.95
Lost Cities -14.95

Haggis -9.95

Troyes - 33.95

Subtotal - $234.60
Shipping - 114.50
Total 349.10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not far off here in New Zealand where shipping is usually $45+ US

eg

a game worth $25.97

United States Postal Service (1 x 5lbs) (5lbs, 0oz) (Priority Mail International (6 - 10 business days) ~~Insured for $25.97~~):

$58.00

Total:

$83.97

But for priority with insurance it's $114 and then the price of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Worse so when not all the top games are easily available in nz either.
zombiezombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you shop around here in Australia, you can get games for roughly double the price that you would pay to buy from a US online store like CSI or B&B. I have a spreadsheet with 50-60 games on it that I'm interested in where I have the best US price I can find up against the best Aus price I can find, and typically the US price is 50-60% of the Aus price.

If you buy from the US, the shipping brings to up to within a few bucks of the price you can get here. So the equation becomes - would I prefer to save a few bucks and wait 2-3 weeks for my stuff to get here? Or pay a little more and get it Right Now. My impatient nature demans the second option most times.

And this is why I have about $350 worth of games ordered to be delivered to a hotel in the US so I can pick them up when we travel there next week! Free shipping from B&B and Cool Stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Ordering online from the States just isn't done, it's ridiculou. You order from an online shop here and pay something between 100%–150% of MRSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy moly.

There's a store in Quebec that charges $5 for shipping. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will never complain again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
I will never complain again leave the US

Fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Most Dutch webshops offer free shipping after a certain amount (30 to 50 euros) and otherwise it is €6.75 flat...

Ordering outside of the Netherlands is a whole other story tho, even from the UK it isn't all that cheap...

Plus games are more expensive in Europe than in the US...

For instance your first order mentioned:

Ascension Chronicle Of The Godslayer - $30.03 -> €36.95
Ascension: Return Of The Fallen Expansion - $23.39 -> €24.95
7 Wonders - $36.15 -> €36.95
7 Wonders: Leaders - $21.55 -> €17.95
-------- --------
$111.12 -> €116.80

€117 is currently roughly $150...

If you also consider that we have to pay VAT (included in above prices) which is now 19% and will go up to 21% coming monday (cry), it isn't all that bad...

Also these are prices from just one shop, if you shop around it probably can be bought cheaper and also with this shop you can usually ask for a small discount if you order regularly...

Also if I want to buy quite a lot in one go I still might order in the UK since the UK prices plus the massive discounts some give (boardgameguru, gameslore) the more you buy makes the high shipping prices go away completely...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Holy moly.

There's a store in Quebec that charges $5 for shipping. :blush:

Care to share the name? Eh good buddy? :)

But I feel the pain for the OP - shipping even to Canada can be very costly. I'm very grateful for my 3 local game shops that compete with each other over pricing to make sure they are competitive not only with each other but online as well. Most games I buy I pay US cover price or lower (a difference ime of between 5-20%) and get it right now (or at most a week if they inexplicably don't have it in stock!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
jmsmith2434 wrote:
keso55 wrote:
I will never complain again leave the US

Fixed

Although from the money I for instance safe on health care each year compared to the US I can buy quite a few games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Low
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Singapore it is not too bad (eurogames). Wargames are a bit more difficult to find so I have to fork out the cash, especially p500s, where usually it is per game shipping zombie.

Do you guys have shipping services such as http://www.borderlinx.com?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to use a freight forwarding company (Shipito) for US purchases. For example:

US$40.00 = cost of item (three fairly small card games)
US$9.50 = shipping within USA
US$8.50 = Shipito fee
US$12.00 = International postage

Took several weeks. Unfortunately their cheap airmail option is no longer available. Now they are using Fedex, UPS, DHL, USPS like everyone else and it's no longer viable.

PS: Ticket to Ride Europe costs about US$70 retail here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
And this is why I have about $350 worth of games ordered to be delivered to a hotel in the US so I can pick them up when we travel there next week! Free shipping from B&B and Cool Stuff

I share your pain but lack the handy hotel room in the US to ship games to But my fiance's new job should be sending her to the States a few times a year so there is hope yet

---

And to the O.P., prashantmaheshwari, sadly this is the world we live in Unless you live in the U.S. or Europe you are really going to struggle to not pay an arm and a leg on postage for games.

What that meant for me was being overly selective of my purchases. Joining BGG a couple of years ago now, I had a WTB list of roughly 60+ games. That has been reduced further and further down (not thought purchase, but being selective) to what is now 2 games (Epic 40k is kind exempt). Personally I'd prefer quality over quantity, especially if I'm paying $100+ per game.

Looking at your orders your average cost-per-game actually isn't too bad in comparison; coming in at roughly $50-$60 per game. My most recent purchase was Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game at $100 straight off the store shelf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purchasing games from around the world going to the US isn't a whole lot better but I do feel for those who don't have distributors of many major games shipping around the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffcuetis wrote:
swheelock wrote:
Holy moly.

There's a store in Quebec that charges $5 for shipping. blush

Care to share the name? Eh good buddy?

Pas de problem; c'est http://levalet.com/

$5 ground shipping to Canada, $10 to the U.S. Their prices are generally higher than other Canadian OLGS: more than German Games, but on par with Fun Games Cafe. Just make sure you don't order the French version of a game by accident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah shipping to Iceland is not fun.

First of all, just the shipping cost is going to be from $60-$80 for ca $150 worth of games. Then I have to pay 10% customs, $5 customs fee, and 25,5% VAT on top of the whole thing, so it usually comes out to around 35-40% added cost, on top of both the price of the game and shipping.

A $40 game would come out to costing maybe $80-$90 shipped. Games in game stores here are around $100, so at least I save 10-20%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just bought some clothes from a US online store (DrJays) and was charged a pittance for shipping (inclusive of import taxes)- they use I-Parcel http://www.i-parcel.com/global-logistics-solutions.aspx

Too early to tell - I've only just placed my order but perhaps this is a new solution for expensive game imports? - Will update once received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:
losfp wrote:

I share your pain but lack the handy hotel room in the US to ship games to But my fiance's new job should be sending her to the States a few times a year so there is hope yet

I'm already dropping subtle hints to my parents who are doing a USA tour next year that I might be ordering something to arrive at their hotel so they can bring it back for me.. lol

Now I just hope we've got enough luggage space.. There's 3 of us, so we can get 6 bags, 23kg each... I hope that's enough......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
archivists wrote:
I just bought some clothes from a US online store (DrJays) and was charged a pittance for shipping (inclusive of import taxes)- they use I-Parcel http://www.i-parcel.com/global-logistics-solutions.aspx

Too early to tell - I've only just placed my order but perhaps this is a new solution for expensive game imports? - Will update once received.

I'd be interested to know what the cost was per pound and the delivery time.

Seems that these types of services only work if the product sits in their warehouse. Having to pay shipping cost to the freight forwarder, then the freight forwarder sends overseas, and then in country shipment from the freight forwarder to the local address is rarely more effective than the USPS international shipment.

My experience with USPS has been good - usually a week to Northern Europe, but longer to Southern Europe, Southeast Asia and Latin America. I have found no difference in shipment times between USPS first class and priority shipping, maybe priority is one day faster. That said I live very close to the Oakland airport and in most cases that is where the USPS planes fly out of, so packages are usually in the air in under 24 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Delivery times are here: http://www.drjays.com/content/customerservice/international/... it was quoting 6-8 business days to Europe which is pretty good and faster than the 8-10 of USPS.

Cost wise - it was £6.13 for a pair of trainers (sneakers - [for sneaking ]) and after adding and then removing other items this appears scalable. No idea on whether shipped direct from a warehouse you would have to investigate.

I'd love to see cheaper postage as we could take advantage of more competitively priced USA imports. Games are massively overpriced in the UK

As an aside, I was going to buy some levis on the same site, but Levis place a restriction on international orders - which is why I always get my American friends to bring over a pair or two. It seems that free market rules do not apply to some clothing companies, electronics or boardgames...

T Worthington wrote:
archivists wrote:

I'd be interested to know what the cost was per pound and the delivery time.

Seems that these types of services only work if the product sits in their warehouse. Having to pay shipping cost to the freight forwarder, then the freight forwarder sends overseas, and then in country shipment from the freight forwarder to the local address is rarely more effective than the USPS international shipment.

My experience with USPS has been good - usually a week to Northern Europe, but longer to Southern Europe, Southeast Asia and Latin America. I have found no difference in shipment times between USPS first class and priority shipping, maybe priority is one day faster. That said I live very close to the Oakland airport and in most cases that is where the USPS planes fly out of, so packages are usually in the air in under 24 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg White
New Zealand
Upper Hutt, Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a lot of the services base the cost on the dimensions of a game. is there anywhere this data is readily available on BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NZRPGR wrote:
a lot of the services base the cost on the dimensions of a game. is there anywhere this data is readily available on BGG?

I've had some luck finding dimensions and weight on Amazon for most games. You'd have to add a bit to both for shipping materials of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like living in board gaming paradise then. Some online shops here in Germany offer free shipping if you just buy games with a total worth of 15-25 Euros. And even if I have to pay shipping it's rarely more than 5 Euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ploedminka wrote:
I feel like living in board gaming paradise then. Some online shops here in Germany offer free shipping if you just buy games with a total worth of 15-25 Euros. And even if I have to pay shipping it's rarely more than 5 Euros.

I hate you yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.