Subject: Bring back Dreamblade! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Stoker
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading about/just ordered Mage Wars, and I feel obligated to try to drum up support for the best magic-y minis game there was, the game that brought me back to gaming...Dreamblade. If you missed it, it hit the sweet spot Mage Wars is gunning for--a combination of magic deck building, miniature-like strategy, perfect time length (under an hour, allowing for tournaments without arbitrary restrictions),incredible depth, and fun. Why did it die? In my opinion, cost--it was an incredibly expensive game, something like $45 to get enough pieces to play sealed. WOTC tried to overcome this by throwing big dollar tournaments at it immediately, but they failed to appreciate that this is a bad way to start a game this deep. About two dozen people won all of the tournaments, me included. For the vast majority of gamers, this was just an incredibly expensive game.

If it failed once, why talk about it? If I am right, and cost was the biggest detriment, it could be made cheaper. Follow Mage Wars--a mins game with no minis, just cards. Or, use tiles with pictures. Something, just make it cheap, and let it grow. It could be a very cheap game, and just as good. It was too good a system to let it die because it used over-ambitious components.

Bring back Dreamblade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Berti
Italy
Correggio
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree with you...it should be very simple to transform Dreamblade into a card based game instead of miniatures based.
It's a pity because the minis are gorgeous, but if that's the price to pay to play this wonderful game..

So, is there anybody out there with some graphical skills?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see this game make a comeback.

I discovered it just as it was on the way out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stoker
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up to you both in my one (don't worry, and only) bump. I really do miss the game, though. Maybe get arcane wonders to re-skin it as a Mage wars game? Or FFG as a LCG? Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I think reskinning it as a card game is an excellent idea. It would cut the cost tremendously. Keep everything else the same, but just put the info on cards instead of minis. I also think Jim's idea of a Dreamblade LCG would be just right. You'd get 3 copies of each card, which just so happens to be the limit in warband construction...

Man, you've got me excited even though I know this will never happen. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stoker
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having my biannual whoa I miss Dreamblade attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
There really hasn't been a gaming precedent set for situations like this: Bringing back a basic game design in a different format to combat cost issues. I think WotC depended on the "wow factor" to sell the minis the 1st time around, and when that wasn't enough to totally propel sales thru the roof then they just folded it. I wonder how appealing the game would be without the physical minis? Does it then become lost in a sea of fantasy board/card games? Of course the existing players (what few are left) know how fun the game can be, but how do you really reel potential buyers in without that awesome Dreadmorph Ogre sculpt? Or the thrill of chasing an Unsated Ragedrake? Turning it into a flat 2D game stands a good chance of coming off... well... flat.

Although there is the irony of WotC coming out with their D&D Dungeon Command series, which is in some ways an LCG type, fixed-distribution format of the D&D blind-purchase minis game. Although that has the D&D name to bolster sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't thumb this one enough, would love to see the game come back. Not sure how I feel about counters/cards though. Cards would be problematic with up to 9 (and in some corner cases more) in a cell.

I love the minis, they really add a lot to the game's visual and tactile appeal. For me the game still lives on. I've made many proxies and continue to search ideas for customs to extend the life of the game.

Official stuff would be a *very* good thing though! Would love to see FFG make this a LMG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stoker
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My best case is that someone releases it with cards, to make it cheap, and builds a player base. They than offer minis for sale just for convenience/aesthetics. I would buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:
Official stuff would be a *very* good thing though! Would love to see FFG make this a LMG.

LMG! Haha! That was just what I was thinking.

I've been considering cards or tiles, but it doesn't seem like anything really takes the place of minis. Cards would be especially problematic, unless they were very small. Standard, playing-card size cards would be much too big.

I'm not sure how an LMG would work, though. Minis are a lot more expensive than cards. Also, LCGs have 3 copies of a card in a pack. The original boosters had 7 minis, so that means...you'd get 2 figures per pack.

I guess you could sell packs of warbands. The maximum size of a warband is 16, so you could have, say, a pack of 18 Passion minis, which would give you enough for a warband, with 2 left over. That's 3 copies of 6 minis (6x3=18). I don't know how much something like that would retail for, but I'll bet it'd be expensive.

Maybe we'll just have to wait until there are affordable 3D printers available, and then we can just download the pieces and print them out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Ramstad
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:
telengard wrote:

LMG! Haha! That was just what I was thinking.

I've been considering cards or tiles, but it doesn't seem like anything really takes the place of minis. Cards would be especially problematic, unless they were very small. Standard, playing-card size cards would be much too big.

I'm not sure how an LMG would work, though. Minis are a lot more expensive than cards. Also, LCGs have 3 copies of a card in a pack. The original boosters had 7 minis, so that means...you'd get 2 figures per pack.

I guess you could sell packs of warbands. The maximum size of a warband is 16, so you could have, say, a pack of 18 Passion minis, which would give you enough for a warband, with 2 left over. That's 3 copies of 6 minis (6x3=18). I don't know how much something like that would retail for, but I'll bet it'd be expensive.

Maybe we'll just have to wait until there are affordable 3D printers available, and then we can just download the pieces and print them out...

$1750 is pretty affordable, all things considered.

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-404.html

I've been really surprised at how quickly 3D printing is dropping in cost. It's almost affordable for a hobbyist -- if you are into something that requires a lot of models, or you are prototyping games regularly, it might actually save you money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Berti
Italy
Correggio
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, i know, the "feeling" and coolness of the minis can't be replaced by a bunch of cards, but...am i the only one who thinks that this game is a nice piece of design by itself?
Take a look at Summoner Wars and his success, i think a Dreamblade LCG/customizable format could be a successful product...at least i would buy it

Hear me FFG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stoker
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More detail...

If it was a LCG, they could use their small cards (like in the old wings of war or chaos in the old world) with pictures of minis, and normal sized cards with statistics. You would only need one of each stats card, but multiples of the mini cards. That would ease the crowding on the map, and make the sizing easily transferable to mini use if they started making them.

One more thought--they could sell randomized "sealed" decks, in addition to the standard LCG packs, if they wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call of Cthulu "monster chits" would be ideal -- the artwork on one side would replace the fig on one side, and the stats/info on the other would be the same. Cheap as heck to produce, I imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Spicer
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Hey Jim,

It's been a long time, buddy. I just want to jump on this bandwagon and say, "I AGREE! Long live Dreamblade!"

Marcus Spicer
Recap Council Member (Southeast Region)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.