Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So after having bad die rolls during Masquerade Ball (failed door check, lieutenant did not fail a single one) and Castle Darion (our friendly knight failed 4/5 willpower checks), things are looking bleak for our heroes in terms of winning.

The big kick in the pants is we won the first encounters for both, but lost in the second encounters.

Luckily we ended Castle Darion with 300 gold, allowing us to get Mage Staff for our Necro, a good Axe and Leather Armor for our Knight (giving her iron shield to our Spiritspeaker and a heavy cloak to the Disciple/Cleric). We hope the next big battle we choose will go better.

So the question is, how hard does it get for the heroes if they lose
the rest of act 1? Are things recoverable if they get good equipment? What about the skill choices?

I'm saving my 2 XP as the disciple to get Radiant Light, even though Time of Need is excellent too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Zervakis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I knew beforehand, as an OL I'd advise the heroes to not choose "Masquarade Ball" as a first Act I quest - since it's almost certain they win the introductory encounter and get the chance to choose. In case the OL wins it, Bones of Woe is a great plus for him throughout the game. Maybe Fat Goblin or Death on the Wing are more suitable for a good start.
Castle Daerion is almost a certain win for the OL, so they should try to keep away from it. I'm personally considering having 2 white defense dice for Sir Palamon next time through it.
Now, have the heroes had bad luck throughout the whole Act I and Interlude, yes it is possible to turn the tables as long as they have tried to get 2 or 3 search tokens (4 player game) per encounter. It's a game of dice; anytime is possible to favor one side or another.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Brutalien wrote:
If I knew beforehand, as an OL I'd advise the heroes to not choose "Masquarade Ball" as a first Act I quest - since it's almost certain they win the introductory encounter and get the chance to choose. In case the OL wins it, Bones of Woe is a great plus for him throughout the game. Maybe Fat Goblin or Death on the Wing are more suitable for a good start.
Castle Daerion is almost a certain win for the OL, so they should try to keep away from it. I'm personally considering having 2 white defense dice for Sir Palamon next time through it.
Now, have the heroes had bad luck throughout the whole Act I and Interlude, yes it is possible to turn the tables as long as they have tried to get 2 or 3 search tokens (4 player game) per encounter. It's a game of dice; anytime is possible to favor one side or another.
Good luck!

Thanks. I'm just afraid that the balance/momentum is going to easily shift to the OL now that he has a couple wins under his belt. Bones of Woe and the extra XP he's earned will make things very difficult for the heroes I feel.

Hopefully the good equipment we picked up will help us out though I'm not sure. Maybe the Necromancer can do more than just summon now too. He couldn't do damage before but the Mage Staff should change that. Our hardest hitter was actually our Spiritspeaker who has a Crossbow. That seems bad considering we have a Knight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to focus on search tokens during the first and second quest of an act.

Quote:
I'm saving my 2 XP as the disciple to get Radiant Light, even though Time of Need is excellent too.

Divine Fury is another excellent choice for the Disciple. Use it on a Berserker (Whirlwind), Leoric (Heroic Ability), or Runemaster (Exploding Rune).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Overlord rewards for winning generally aren't as great as the Hero rewards. I would say that if you're being steamrolled by the Overlord through the Act I Quests, then your chances of bouncing back are slim. But if you're competing pretty well and only losing on bad luck dice rolls, you still have a good shot later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dexter345 wrote:
The Overlord rewards for winning generally aren't as great as the Hero rewards. I would say that if you're being steamrolled by the Overlord through the Act I Quests, then your chances of bouncing back are slim. But if you're competing pretty well and only losing on bad luck dice rolls, you still have a good shot later on.

We are competing fairly well. I've just felt the second encounters in both quests have favored the OL heavily. Not because of our play, but because of the setup. Both second encounters were close but we knew one or two turns in advance if the OL was going to win, especially in the second encounter of Castle Darieon.

The person we were to protect took 20 wounds in 3 or 4 turns. We killed the master ettin monster by turn 3 as we had bad die rolls getting through flesh moulders that were blocking the stairs.

I still dislike the idea of bad rolling completely determining the outcome of a game, but there's not really a good way to go about it. Better equipment now may be exactly what we needed.

Hopefully our third Act 1 quest will result in a victory for the Heroes for once. If not, it looks VERY bleak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the critical quest is the interlude. If you can win that you might be ok, since the relic reward is very good for that quest.

If you lose the interlude then you are in big trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
Actually the critical quest is the interlude. If you can win that you might be ok, since the relic reward is very good for that quest.

If you lose the interlude then you are in big trouble.

Though sadly the OL can't use his version of that relic until the Finale cry .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
And don't forget that the OL can only use Bones of Woe if he has a (living) Lieutenant on the map - it's not like the OL gets to use it all the time (more's the shame...) devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.