Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hawkins
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Blue Moon City recently. I have a small game collection, and I am slowly building it up to fit the gaming situations I find myself in. I am avoiding the longer 3+ hour games because (1) they hit the table less often and (2) the kind of people who will play them with me already own them. I wanted a game of moderate length and complexity that might appeal to a broad audience — a game that is not overwhelming for non-gamers and not too simple for gamers.

I played my first game with three other gamers who regularly attend a strategy games Meetup. I explained the rules and passed out reference sheets created by Evan Stegman.

Gray - Andy
White - Scott
Purple - Beth
Blue - Chris (me)

I have read here on BGG that the first turn gives an edge, so I suggested that I go last. Gray started by moving east and completing a building with a single 5 section. The rest of us tended to spread out, according to our cards' building opportunities. As the one teaching the game, I was glad that in the table talk, the other players were keeping the neighborhood bonus in mind.

Purple made the first offering to the Obelisk. I followed up with a double offering, thanks to a yellow pillar card. After a while, all players were tied at two offerings.

One late-game move that stuck in my mind happened on the building with 4 wild sections. Gray had already secured the master builder bonus with the 5 and 3 sections. I built a 4 section to get part of the upcoming payout. White arrived there, but he did not (and apparently could not, with his cards) build on that turn. I moved away to do something else. Gray shut White out by building the final section. This move may have contributed to the game's final outcome because Gray hurt both himself (with an inefficient move) and White.

If I remember correctly, there were three scorings of dragon scales, and I won two. At the end, I had accumulated a large stash of crystals. Gray pointed out that if I had a pillar card for a double offering, I could win on my next turn because no one else had enough crystals. I had in fact just drawn two pillar cards, so the others conceded without playing out the round.

The game seemed to flow well. Each of us had instances of AP, as others have noted in these forums, but only on the order of a minute or two. The downtime on others' turns wasn't bad at all. The combination of simple mechanics and strategic depth appealed to everyone. They commented positively on the art and component quality, and one player joked about not knowing what to think of the Vulca race with the flaming heads.

All of us were gamers, so I can't say from experience how non-gamers will react to Blue Moon City. However, my overall feel for the game is that the non-gamers of my acquaintance will pick it up quickly and are likely to enjoy it as much as this group did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, nice to see a review of a relatively "older" game. I think I bought Blue Moon City in 2006? It plays extremely well with my non-gamer friends. So yes, I agree with you. Non-gamers will pick this up quickly and will probably have a great time playing this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great game. One of Knizia's last gasps of greatness IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.