Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*Deep Breath*

This is it (kinda) I have made the choice (sort of) to list my copy of Space Hulk up for sale.

Based on the demand for this game, plus the beautifully painted models and the battle foam inserts AND the new and improved egg timer (which actually really is a big deal.) I am looking for suggestions as to what this should be sold for, I have previously tried this before however it varied it usefulness.

Alternatively if you would like to make me an offer of cash, or cash and games then please feel free to post in this thread to judge if it’s a fair price. Although accepting £10,000 would be nice I simply couldn’t sleep at night. Therefor this game is really up to you to decide its cash value, my game in your hands (for a reasonable offer!)

Dan

On a side note any sale would go through BGG to ensure they get their %

UPDATE -
Thank you for all your comments, based on the general view of things and the unbeatable egg timer!

As was stated in my original post I would be willing to except cash OR a combination of cash and games which equal the value of missing money ie 2/3s cash 1/3 worth of games (value open to interpretation based on if its new / sought after (rarity) etc.).

The reason for this is that although the physical money would be good in my wallet I would spend some of it on games anyway. Living in an area which is difficult to get games from a shop (other than Waterstones) I often find it hard to get some of the more sought after games which aren’t mass produced or are no longer in print.; as such this seems like as good an opportunity as ever to try and get a copy of Ghost Stories / Thebes / Lord of the Rings Battlefield / Lost Cities and so on.

I think the price takes into account the sought after-ness of the game, the paint job on the models (including door holders,) the egg timer, the foam, the blackening of all the tile & counter edges, the bags which hold all said tiles... ... ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crowd Evaluation test, open to reasonable offers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
What was that about a 'new and improved' egg timer? There isn't one in the pics.

It looks like the primary attraction of your offer is painted minis; I would check eBay to see what fully painted sets of Space Hulk minis are going for, you see them for sale quite often.

My guess is that the entire game with the painted minis could sell for between $550 and $600. With the battlefoam and presuming that includes a case (not in the pics so I'm not sure if you're referring to what I think you are) I'd put a resonable offer at $750.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew CARLESS
Italy
Inveruno
MILANO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are wonderfully painted, really well done indeed!!!

I can't remember the number of miniatures in the game off-hand (I'm not at home and can't check the box) but probably, fwiw, miniatures of that sort of quality would probably get anywhere from 25 Euros each (or more) to be done professionally (recently you spend 5-10 and you get nothing similar...). I've seen some people paying 100 Euros for a large miniature but it was a work of art.. would need to check it close-up.

Another way of finding a price would be check time spent painting.. at a reasonable rate per hour... you get the idea

So multiply the number of minis by the price and then add extra for board and bits..

Of course it's easy to say that you want 1000+ euros for the game (if there are 10 Marines and 25 Aliens), but it also depends on how much people will pay and what they want to do with their hard-earned money. If I was a millionaire I would already have sent you a message to buy it. And I'd probably have commissioned someone else to build 3d pieces for the game too.

It looks like a collectors' item at that level, I wouldn't want to risk rolling a dice into one of those guys!

Sorry can't be more help but good luck and, again, that's some fabulous work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
At your level of painting, you'd typically be looking to charge the value of the figures in painting costs, maybe a little more, based on local norms. In some places, skilled labour is more expensive than in the UK, in others, less so.

Ignoring the profit gouging then, reasonably, you'd be looking at:
Space Hulk: £60 (original retail)
Painting: £60 (market typical value)
Battlefoam: £20 (original retail)

For convenience and such then, £145 is entirely very reasonable.

However, there is also a rarity value attached to this game, and a large number of adherents who are unable/unwilling to paint at all, so that adds a subjective premium. £200-£250 would not be too unusual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off..

I would not sell it, at this point its a collectors item unique to you.

IF you were to sell it, post it at $1000. The reason for the high price is the quality of the work plus your personal non financial investment.

IF some one appreciates what you did for your asking price then let it go. otherwise the appreciation is not there as it would be for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
At your level of painting, you'd typically be looking to charge the value of the figures in painting costs, maybe a little more, based on local norms. In some places, skilled labour is more expensive than in the UK, in others, less so.

Ignoring the profit gouging then, reasonably, you'd be looking at:
Space Hulk: £60 (original retail)
Battlefoam: £20 (original retail)

For convenience and such then, £145 is entirely very reasonable.

However, there is also a rarity value attached to this game, and a large number of adherents who are unable/unwilling to paint at all, so that adds a subjective premium. £200-£250 would not be too unusual.

Do you mean that the paints and brushes cost £60? That sounds reasonable. Then you need to also value the dozens (if not hundreds) of hours of painting.

I'm getting close to finishing painting my copies of Space Hulk. Mine don't look nearly that good (I take some shortcuts compared to the official guide for painting these), and yet I still spent about $80 on paints and brushes, and my time is certainly worth more than £60 for the couple hundred hours I've put in so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Darling
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
"How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist..."
badge
Bacon pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, Take some bacon and I'll put it in a pancake, Bacon pancakes, that's what it's gonna make, Bacon pancaaaaake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really adding anything to your OP questions. Just wanted to say awesome job on the painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Behold the Egg Timer !!!

Dislaimer - Egg Timer isnt that amazing, still have the originaly if buyer wants 100% completion

Also heres a shot of the battlefoam, which fits into the original Space Hulk Box (which also is obviously included if sold.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Thalamus
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Slev wrote:

This set contains 36 figures, so where are you finding people to paint to this level for only £1.66 per miniature? I can't even commission a "slop and go" job for that price.

Seriously, if you know of a web site with work examples and a list of fees, please share it.

Joanie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Do you mean that the paints and brushes cost £60? That sounds reasonable. Then you need to also value the dozens (if not hundreds) of hours of painting.

I'm getting close to finishing painting my copies of Space Hulk. Mine don't look nearly that good (I take some shortcuts compared to the official guide for painting these), and yet I still spent about $80 on paints and brushes, and my time is certainly worth more than £60 for the couple hundred hours I've put in so far.

Pock_Suppet wrote:
This set contains 36 figures, so where are you finding people to paint to this level for only £1.66 per miniature? I can't even commission a "slop and go" job for that price.

Seriously, if you know of a web site with work examples and a list of fees, please share it.

As I said further up, the amount you would depend would depend on local skilled labour values.

Typically, here in the UK, 25mm minis at the average quality of those minis, goes for the value of the minis. Thus, typically, around £60. Markets for such items may vary by location. It has been pointed out to me, for example, that in the USA, semi-skilled and skilled labour costs are comparatively much higher than here in Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
As I said further up, the amount you would depend would depend on local skilled labour values.

Typically, here in the UK, 25mm minis at the average quality of those minis, goes for the value of the minis. Thus, typically, around £60. Markets for such items may vary by location. It has been pointed out to me, for example, that in the USA, semi-skilled and skilled labour costs are comparatively much higher than here in Europe.

If you could paint a miniature to this quality in 2 hours (not possible in my experience), then you're suggesting £0.83/hour (not to mention free paints and brushes).

Damn! If that's the case, I'm gonna hire some Brits to paint my next game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

Pock_Suppet wrote:

Give me a link to a UK commission painter who will do a hulk set for 60
pound to the standard shown above. I don't believe they exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to drop by and say that the minis are wonderfully painted. Good job! thumbsup

Also...
I think £60 is a bit low. I got paid $400 to paint a set of these. Perhaps that is a little more than normal, but I think £60 is rather low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:
Just wanted to drop by and say that the minis are wonderfully painted. Good job! thumbsup

Also...
I think £60 is a bit low. I got paid $400 to paint a set of these. Perhaps that is a little more than normal, but I think £60 is rather low.

Well, obviously people everywhere seem to think my estimate too low for the paint job, I am only speaking from experience. In the UK hobby scene, all this is usually done word-of-mouth, but those are the rates I'd typically expect to pay/charge over here. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Current ebay price (UK) for painted space hulk minis is £7-10 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your comments, based on the general view of things and the unbeatable egg timer! Would £550 be acceptable / reasonable?

As was stated in my original post I would be willing to except cash OR a combination of cash and games which equal the value of missing money ie £400 cash £150 worth of games (value open to interpretation based on if its new / sought after (rarity) etc.).

The reason for this is that although the physical money would be good in my wallet I would spend some of it on games anyway. Living in an area which is difficult to get games from a shop (other than Waterstones) I often find it hard to get some of the more sought after games which aren’t mass produced or are no longer in print.; as such this seems like as good an opportunity as ever to try and get a copy of Ghost Stories / Thebes / Lord of the Rings Battlefield / Lost Cities and so on.

I think the price takes into account the sought after-ness of the game, the paint job on the models (including door holders,) the egg timer, the foam, the blackening of all the tile & counter edges, the bags which hold all said tiles... ... ...

How would you recommend me going about this? Should I start an auction in this forum? Any tips would be nice as I have never sold something at this value on here before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Space Hulk 3rd Edition - For Auction, Starting at £500. Accept either cash or combination of Cash and Games from winner...MAKE ME AN OFFER
nyhotep wrote:
Current ebay price (UK) for painted space hulk minis is £7-10 each.

Based on that figure then, you'd be looking at £245-£350.

Actually, that price makes sense if you take into account the way minis have improved in real-value value for money over the last decade or so, since I last painted for money...

Thus £325-£430 is reasonable without taking rarity into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no offers on this, is any one intrested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Slev wrote:

If you could paint a miniature to this quality in 2 hours (not possible in my experience), then you're suggesting £0.83/hour (not to mention free paints and brushes).

Damn! If that's the case, I'm gonna hire some Brits to paint my next game!

hell at that price im gonna hire them to paint every game I own !! (and my house, and my car, and .......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst I appreciate the discussion regarding these guys opinion..Is anyone going to take this off my hands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.