Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game» Forums » General

Subject: What extras are you getting on top of Jack/Striker pledge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tequila zen
Finland
flag msg tools
Did not see a similar topic so here goes.

I am trying to figure out what extras I want/need on top of my Striker pledge. Do I need any extra figures for Season 1 (doubt it); do I want keepers or should I just go for 4 extra Season 2 teams for $50 (that I won't get until next year, sigh); coaches look cool and so do cheerleaders; do I need an MDF board to be able to host two simultaneous games at my game club, oh wait, I guess will need extra cards for that (but they are not shipping until next year), will I then need extra counters as well? How many extra hex bases I need for all the figures coming with Striker (2x24)? So many decisions and my wallet isn't getting any bigger.

I guess my question is: what are you getting, let me know your pledge level and all the extras you will be getting and why. I'm interested in hearing the reasons behind the decisions on what extras to get.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting 4 of the season 2 teams. (I'm passing on the female humans, because I think they should be sculpts for the human team.) I'm also getting the season 1 Keepers, and have pledged $5 for two of those simple figure cases.

I'm still trying to decide on the season 2 Keepers: the insects are among my least favorite teams going in, and I'm not sure I need a second human keeper. The extra Ref and ball for $5 is also pretty cheap. And the cheerleaders: usually I'm not a big fan of sideline figures, but cheerleaders with wacky field effect accessories are novel at least. Kinda like the hackers in Infinity, with their HUD pieces.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have currently:

Striker
4x Season 2 teams
Coaches
Season 1 keepers
2x bases

I am probably going to get the season 2 keepers and the Cheerleaders, however, I question the wisdom of getting any of the keepers as having only one of each will most likely not be enough and you can simply mark which guard is a keeper anyways. I am also not exactly happy that the season 2 teams will only have 10 figures each vs 14 for season one. That could cause me simply to retreat to Striker....

-Ski
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pledge:
Striker

Definite Additions:
Robot team
Z'Zor team
Judwan team
Female Corporation team
Asterian team
Keepers (x2)
Season 2 Keepers (x2)
2x Base Sprues

95% Sure:
Refbot & Ball
Deck of Cards
Acrylic Counters
Acrylic Board
Orange acrylic zones for board
MVP: Jonathan "Gabe" Gabriel

Probables:
Cheerleaders

Not Getting:
Coaches
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not entirely certain myself what advantage having 14 figures for season one affords you. The game by default was going to ship with 8, no? So I'm guessing that's the size of a team. Does it just afford you more variability in team composition? Do we even know the rules for that?

Also, it was mentioned that the Judwan team from season 2 is entirely composed of a single type of player (I forgot which, Striker maybe?), and individual players on the robot team can change player type mid-game, so the extra variability there isn't an issue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I am probably going to get the season 2 keepers and the Cheerleaders, however, I question the wisdom of getting any of the keepers as having only one of each will most likely not be enough and you can simply mark which guard is a keeper anyways. I am also not exactly happy that the season 2 teams will only have 10 figures each vs 14 for season one. That could cause me simply to retreat to Striker....

I don't get this.

You're paying for $12.50 for eight figures and getting two free. They have said they will likely have packs available in stores with extra figures. Yes, it would be nice if they made it possible to upgrade your teams to 14 figures, but then you could always buy two starters for each team and trade or sell the four extras to someone.

If you end up not getting them in the KS campaign you will end up paying $50ish to get one complete team later. Of course, you might not want more than one of the teams and that could mean you save a little cash in the long run. Still, $75 for eight players of six teams (yes, I'm optimistic we'll see a sixth team) with getting two free for each team is a steal.

With the season two keepers, you can get two for one of the teams using the BOGOF. With only six players on the pitch at a time, I suspect one keeper might be all you need in the long run for most teams. I am still going to get two of each for those just in case situations. I'd be more judicious in my spending if I was paying retail for them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Todd
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to word this poorly, so bare with me. They've said that you can have at most 2x your starting team's positions on the field at one time (So if you're base set comes with 2 strikers, you can have at most 4 on the field). Then you have to knock your team down to 14 players. I guess the 16 thing is to offer as much variety while still limiting your team options.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Foolio949 wrote:
I'm going to word this poorly, so bare with me. They've said that you can have at most 2x your starting team's positions on the field at one time (So if you're base set comes with 2 strikers, you can have at most 4 on the field). Then you have to knock your team down to 14 players. I guess the 16 thing is to offer as much variety while still limiting your team options.

That's what I've been assuming.

Really, if you want a complete team you would want to have 16 figures for each team. When the individual blisters are available, I suspect I might end up picking up the extra two figures for each team myself.

And yes, I was considering buying two of each season 2 team.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy waffles
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Yeah, that is the big problem right now. I want full options, but having the currently number of models included means I have extra models.

I am hoping for an upgrade option to round all the teams to maximum options so I don't get stuck with extras. The other problem could be that one of the teams is striker or jack only, then you would only need 14 to have a full roster. So once again buying 2 sets is overkill.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
Teamski wrote:
I am probably going to get the season 2 keepers and the Cheerleaders, however, I question the wisdom of getting any of the keepers as having only one of each will most likely not be enough and you can simply mark which guard is a keeper anyways. I am also not exactly happy that the season 2 teams will only have 10 figures each vs 14 for season one. That could cause me simply to retreat to Striker....

I don't get this.

You're paying for $12.50 for eight figures and getting two free. They have said they will likely have packs available in stores with extra figures. Yes, it would be nice if they made it possible to upgrade your teams to 14 figures, but then you could always buy two starters for each team and trade or sell the four extras to someone.



It is being quite inconsistent with having 8 player expansions while having 14 player Striker teams. I am already over $265 so buying two of every season 2 team is pretty excessive. I don't think it is too much to add 2 to 4 figures for the season 2 teams as a stretch. I guarantee you that more people would get them as a result.

-Ski
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Bobby4th wrote:
Teamski wrote:
I am probably going to get the season 2 keepers and the Cheerleaders, however, I question the wisdom of getting any of the keepers as having only one of each will most likely not be enough and you can simply mark which guard is a keeper anyways. I am also not exactly happy that the season 2 teams will only have 10 figures each vs 14 for season one. That could cause me simply to retreat to Striker....

I don't get this.

You're paying for $12.50 for eight figures and getting two free. They have said they will likely have packs available in stores with extra figures. Yes, it would be nice if they made it possible to upgrade your teams to 14 figures, but then you could always buy two starters for each team and trade or sell the four extras to someone.



It is being quite inconsistent with having 8 player expansions while having 14 player Striker teams. I am already over $265 so buying two of every season 2 team is pretty excessive. I don't think it is too much to add 2 to 4 figures for the season 2 teams as a stretch. I guarantee you that more people would get them as a result.

-Ski


Maybe I'm wrong with my calculation but:
- A season 2 teams comes with 8 Figures!
- You getting with striker 2 Figures for each season two team in advance! Brings us down to 10 Figures, "simple players" per team.
- In addition you get with striker 1 or 2 special player per team.
Brings us down to 11-12 Figures per team.
- So if you add 1 "keeper" for safety sake (if necessary or not), you'll have with striker and additional team option,
at least 12-13 players for every season two team (and 16-17 for every season one team)! If you choose striker + one of each season two!
Should be more as enough! Or may I wrong?



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hough
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm purchasing the following on top of Striker:

2 BOGO teams (Robots, Z'zor, Asterian, Judwan)
PA Gabe MVP
Extra hex bases
Extra decal sheet
MDF Pitch
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erzengel wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong with my calculation but:
- A season 2 teams comes with 8 Figures!
- You getting with striker 2 Figures for each season two team in advance! Brings us down to 10 Figures, "simple players" per team.
- In addition you get with striker 1 or 2 special player per team.
Brings us down to 11-12 Figures per team.
- So if you add 1 "keeper" for safety sake (if necessary or not), you'll have with striker and additional team option,
at least 12-13 players for every season two team (and 16-17 for every season one team)! If you choose striker + one of each season two!
Should be more as enough! Or may I wrong?





Yes, you're wrong, the MVPs do not count against general team composition since they essentially act as wildcards, and most of them work for a number of different teams, furthermore they're not officially part of "normal" (ie. out-of-league) play (Although obviously you can houserule whatever you want and use them either in their MVP form or as proxies in a one-off game, or I guess there might be variant rules in the S1 rulebook for people to use MVPs in one-offs).

The problem with team composition is this: a team can have a maximum of 14 players, and the only way to have every possible composition for these 14 players (ignoring MVPs or free agents, and without proxying), is to have 16 minis.

Say a team comes with 3 guards, 2 jacks, 3 strikers as it's "basic" team package, theoretically this team could have any combination of 14 players with a ceiling of 6 for the guards, 4 for the jacks, 6 for the strikers, OK so far?
now if you get 2 minis for free (say it's a guard and a striker), and buy one team pack (so you have 4 guards, 2 jacks, 4 strikers total), nevermind that you have less than 14 figures (Since you can only have 6 players on the field anyway, you can obviously just note down your team composition and reuse minis if one of your players leaves the field).
The problem remains that, while the rules would allow this team to have 6 strikers on the field at the same time, you only have 4 striker minis, unless you buy another team pack, in which case you have 18 minis for the team, meaning there's 2 figures that you can essentially only use as free agents for other teams.

For me, this is sorta-kinda a purely theoretical problem, since I'm going to play whichever fucking (rules-legal) teamcomposition I want regardless of whether I happen to have the correct minis, but for people who want to play in their FLGS, where things like proxying tend to be frowned upon (Which makes sense from the retailer's perspective, but why some players eat that bullshit will probably always escape me), or even official leagues, where they are probably forbidden, this is a potential problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
It is being quite inconsistent with having 8 player expansions while having 14 player Striker teams. I am already over $265 so buying two of every season 2 team is pretty excessive. I don't think it is too much to add 2 to 4 figures for the season 2 teams as a stretch. I guarantee you that more people would get them as a result.

I would be fine with that as a stretch, but I think you overestimate how much draw it would have. Especially for the Judwan and Robots, which really only have one positions: all 10 of the existing figures are interchangeable, so adding 4 more doesn't seem all that big an incentive. Adding 4 extra to the other teams might make sense, but then people will complain that they don't have the 16 figures they need for full team flexibility...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McDuff
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"'A grey man,' she said. 'Neither white nor black, but partaking of both. Is that what you are, Ser Davos?' 'What if I am? It seems to me most men are grey.'" -- Lady Melisandre of Asshai and Ser Davos Seaworth from A Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin
badge
A small part of a 17,000 pushpin video game art project I was involved with.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I'm at...

Dreadball Striker $150
+ Mantic bag, DB trays, & shipping $130
+ Six Pitch Upgrades $120
+ Acrylic Hex-Board $ 80
+ DreadBall Dice (5 sets) $ 40
+ Female Corp Team + Judwan Team $ 25
+ Zzz'zor Team + Asterian Team $ 25
+ Robot Team + ??? Team $ 25
+ Hex Bases Sprues * 4 $ 16
+ Coaches $ 15
+ Season 1 Keepers $ 15
+ Season 2 Keepers $ 8
+ Gabe MVP $ 10
+ Extra pack of cards $ 8
+ DreadBall Trophy Set $ 10
+ Shipping $ 15
----
$692


I appear to be insane. I may flip the clear pitch upgrade for one of the teams etched upgrades (the Stealers, I'm thinking). I just don't think clear is likely to be a good color. Mind swap pink for the Smackers, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going Striker. I've already upped my pledge to add on 2 extra teams--Judwan & Robots. My problem is that now that Asterians have been unlocked, my oldest son is in love with them. So my 6-team package may end up an 8-team package.

I wasn't planning on purchasing any other add-on stuff, but since they showed that danged "Jonathan 'Gabe' Gabriel" MVP, my second son, whose name is Gabriel, is insistent that we have to have him.

Curse you, Mantic, & your steady production of awesome & appealing stuff!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish the fancy board wasn't so high priced.

Too bad don't offer a regular extra board as an add-on to play 2 games at same time out of a Striker package.

Definitely want the goalies, coaches and cheerleaders since they all appear to have an impact in terms of eventual rules.

Dice are cool

Season 2 hard copy rulebook (a must)

extra hex bases

and couple of season 2 teams. The bugs don't do anything for us visually and Judwan without some game time to get real feel for DB their limited skill sets is hard to gauge. So elf and robot it is.

I'd like a t-Shirt but the rats is hideous in yellow so that's out LOL
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McDuff
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"'A grey man,' she said. 'Neither white nor black, but partaking of both. Is that what you are, Ser Davos?' 'What if I am? It seems to me most men are grey.'" -- Lady Melisandre of Asshai and Ser Davos Seaworth from A Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin
badge
A small part of a 17,000 pushpin video game art project I was involved with.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:
Too bad don't offer a regular extra board as an add-on to play 2 games at same time out of a Striker package.


There's the MDF board that's only $25. Could paint it up glossy black or something, might look nice...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Avatar
Talisinbear wrote:
Too bad don't offer a regular extra board as an add-on to play 2 games at same time out of a Striker package.


THIS!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently in for:

$150 Striker
$25 BOGO Z'zor, Judwan teams
$15 Season 1 Keepers

Will most likely add:
$25 BOGO Asterian, Nameless teams
$25 MDF pitch
$10 Gabe MVP
$8 card pack
$8 48 bases
$5 Refbot and ball

For a grand total of $271.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Henry
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Yes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at:

Striker $150
3x BOGO
Cheerleaders
Coaches
S1/S2 keepers
2x bases

At $294 right now if I am correct....

-Ski
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmer
msg tools
Talisinbear wrote:
I wish the fancy board wasn't so high priced.

Too bad don't offer a regular extra board as an add-on to play 2 games at same time out of a Striker package.


An extra standard board was impossible for us to do for a few reasons and to be honest it'd would had to have been the same price as the MDF pitch, which has been specifically designed as a second pitch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Striker
6 Season 2 Teams (Female Corp, Judwan, Z'Zor, Robots, Asterians, and Nameless)
Season 1 Keepers
DreadBall Paint Set
Printed Season 2 Rules
Jonathan "Gabe" Gabriel MVP
Mantic Carry Cases Buy 1 Get 1 Free
Refbot & Ball
Extra Play Deck

At this time I'm holding out hope that the $550K or $585K stretch goals could be second pitch, at least a more affordable one and cardboard, not MDF.

Does anyone have experience with the Mantic paints, are they good? I'm also curious if someone has tried the Mantic Carry Cases?

Edit: Damn, I just noticed that you only get the Mech or the Nameless Spawn, and the other costs you $12.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Striker
6 Season 2 Teams (Female Corp, Judwan, Z'Zor, Robots, Asterians, and Nameless)
Season 1 Keepers
DreadBall Paint Set
Printed Season 2 Rules
Jonathan "Gabe" Gabriel MVP
Mantic Carry Cases Buy 1 Get 1 Free
Refbot & Ball
Extra Play Deck

At this time I'm holding out hope that the $550K or $585K stretch goals could be second pitch, at least a more affordable one and cardboard, not MDF.

Does anyone have experience with the Mantic paints, are they good? I'm also curious if someone has tried the Mantic Carry Cases?

Edit: Damn, I just noticed that you only get the Mech or the Nameless Spawn, and the other costs you $12.


I haven't used their paints, but in the comments there were one or two mentions of their army painter sets being "top of the line", that being said, you'd be hard pressed to find "bad" acrylics, even the cheapest you can find will generally work just fine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.