Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading some of the posts about the game, it seems the feeling is that the game is too easy for the players, or rather that if they survive the intial bit of combat they power up so quickly that they can mow through the rest of the rooms. Is this the case? I am concerned because I picked up the first edition of Runebound a year or two ago(which is quite different, apart from the background and characters), and the balance issues were bad enough that it sits in my closet gathering dust. Players would load up on followers and items and not have to really worry about dying. It also felt very "generic fantasy" without much depth to the background story. Is there a problem in Descent with players gaining access to uber-weapons too quickly? Are the items too powerful, allowing characters to wipe out monsters as they spawn? Are there balance issues in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Yes and No.

The game is scenario based. The first scenario is designed to be easy on the Heroes. The later ones are much more difficult.

As it is scenario based, it is easy to design your own scenarios. There is a scenario editor at www.prosperity-station.com/Descent . There will be a place on FFG's site to post scenarioes in the near future.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played three times. I think they nailed the difficulty on Descent. It is just slightly stilted in favor of the adventurers.

A lot of folks (me included) have posted that the games seems to be way too easy on for the adventurer's. I don't actually think so...but.

Doom has a high learning curve for the players. As a Marine, you have to be overly aware of ammo supply and make a single misstep and you could easily die.

Descent has a high learning curve for the dungeon master. You have to really know the deck distribution and point values of cards to get a good idea what to cash in and what to save for. The monsters have weaker stats compared to the players, but with stronger special powers--so you have to learn to play to their strengths.

So our first play of the first scenario was a cakewalk. Our second with experienced players and GM was only really rough going in a couple of spots. (I nearly had them right before they went into the last room. They risked it all on a mad speed potion rush assault on the boss.) They killed him with one damage point over his HP, and if that attack had failed, they were very, very dead.

Moo,
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
No comment on the level of difficulty of Descent yet - only played the first scenario.

For the comment on Runebound being "too easy" - I don't get that. It's a race game, and the first player to kill the most bad reds, or the head red wins. So if you are playing with agressive people, you should tend to take challenges that have risk to them. The first play of Runebound we had no idea of when were ready for the higher challenges, so we all played conservitavely, and it was "easy". But in later plays, we'd push ourselves into encounters that were "risky" so we could get the reward and advance faster than our opponents. So we would tend to die once or twice because of this, or have really close calls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have seen the heroes die in the second room they opened in quest 1 so horribly that is isn't believable. And other quests the heroes were unstopable. I depends a LOT of the map. If there are a lot of treasures, especially if there are more then 1 silver or more then 1 golden treasure the heroes really start to get all the gold items they need. And then there are the rooms that are hard to cover with LoS.
Also I feel this game is made for 2.8 heroes. With 2 heroes it is really hard but with 3 heroes a lot of the LoS issues get solved relatively easely...

It is really anyones guess sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 6 plays so far I don't see how the Overlord can win especially if the heroes have made it to the second glyph and a treasure chest. We'll keep trying and play the game the way it was designed but I have to admit that at many points in our games I got kinda of bored of spawning monsters only to maybe do a couple of wounds and then watch every monster die with ease. The heroes can power up way to quick at least in the first 3 quests but we'll continue the adventures and see what happens. I still love the minis, game mechanisms and overall feel of the game.
Roberious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gingold
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roberious wrote:
After 6 plays so far I don't see how the Overlord can win especially if the heroes have made it to the second glyph and a treasure chest. We'll keep trying and play the game the way it was designed but I have to admit that at many points in our games I got kinda of bored of spawning monsters only to maybe do a couple of wounds and then watch every monster die with ease. The heroes can power up way to quick at least in the first 3 quests but we'll continue the adventures and see what happens. I still love the minis, game mechanisms and overall feel of the game.
Roberious

This is the same experience we have been having. Once a chest is hit, the heroes become too powerful and can even kill the real big nasties in one or two turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 2 games recently where I gave the 'Boss' monster 150% for each stat, and let them regenerate 2 wounds every turn.... only this has made it possible for me (the Overlord) to win in the last area. Each game has come down to if I hit I win, or if they hit they win.... so the players have had to be more careful, and not so brazen at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roberious wrote:
Roberious

I agree with this.

If the heroes know what they are doing, and send a runner into a new room to open the chest and get them items (and then run through the glyph to safety), and the others then use those items to slaughter the new room, it is very easy for the heroes.

I played scenario 3 as overlord and they had the rat familiar. I couldnt spawn until they were in area 4, and the first time all game that a monster got to make an attack on a hero was when the door to area 4 suddenly opened after the last naga went away, and they werent ready for it.

Heroes who dont know what they are doing, however, are beatable on scenarios other than scenario #1. I havent tried the later scenarios, but I think the only way they wont be too easy is if they keep the heroes from getting silver/gold treasure for a long time, and they have monsters blocking the treasure, which is in a corner, so the heroes have to kill stuff in a new room to get to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs v S
Netherlands
Arnhem
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe. But there are 9 scenario's initialy with the game and more on the way from various fans. And you could make your own. It's not that difficult, and check the Inner Sanctum rules as a guideline (although I'd recommend putting more monsters and less area's in a scenario)
If you want to replay a scenario, give the Overlord the option to move tokens around: If an area is revealed, the Overlord may decide where to put Glyphs and Treasure (including potions and gold). Things like encounter tokens, pits, rubble, and monsters stay in their original position. Additionally, you could give the Overlord one free 'Horde of the Things' cards in play at the start of the game.
This prevents said abuse and allows the Overlord to play around with the rooms somewhat while limiting abuse from the Overlord.

Also, remember that as Overlord you can use monsters (such as from Horde of the Things) to block treasure and unactivated glyphs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.