Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys

As a big blood bowl fan this game appeals to me as an alternative game and I'd love to support an non GW game in this space.

However I was wondering how different the game feels to Blood Bowl. I guess what I'm asking is if I already own one would I get much value out of this game?

Thanks

Inquisitorgoody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the designers blog:

http://quirkworthy.com/2012/08/27/dreadball-and-the-elephant...

There is also a one-turn game play video up on the Kickstarter page.

It looks quite different to me while scratching a similar itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the Kickstarter page and download the rules you will be able to see how different they are. Also as above they have a small gameplay video up to be able to check out how the game plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link to the blog. The reason for asking was I wanted something like that that will help me decide if I want to pre order this from kickstarter.

I just don't have the time in the next few days to read through the whole rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I can help with some bullet points that I think have appeal in the differences (somewhat favoring Dreadball):

1) There are 3-scoring zones for each team, the nearest two are worth 1-point each, and the furthest is worth 3-points each. Should you throw the ball into one of these zones at at distance (I think 3-squares away) you gain an additional point (so 2-pts, or 4-pts). This differs from BB having only the end-zone and always scoring only 1 pt per touchdown.

2) No resets when a score happens, so you need to consider where your team will be after they score. Have too many people in the enemy zone to score a point and you may be pressed for defense when the ball re-enters play immediately! Different from BB which lets you reset the field each time a team scores.

3) You can (typically) active a player twice in one "rush" (or turn), but you can only (NORMALLY) activate a team 5-times in one turn. Thus some players won't move, while others will move a bit. Differs from BB where you can only move each player once (if the Skaven played Dreadball, you could move your gutter-runners twice to score EVERYTURN... oh wait... the Vermyn are in this game :D)

4) Disregarding point 3, if players do VERY well at something (such as catch the ball well, tackle well, etc...) they often get a free action that doesn't count to the 5-actions-per-team/turn limit. Thus your team can act more often than just 5-times per turn.

5) Combining all the above points, DreadBall allows you to potentially score every-turn, making every round important (even the last turn). It is possible in Dreadball to win in the final turn even if the score is 0-2 against you, unlike Bloodbowl where (if either team scored a touchdown the previous turn) the final turn usually ends up being "how many kicks can I get in to stomp the enemy team?"

6) In leagues, player death can occur, but the penalties are less extreme. You can "revive" dead players for a cost (spending money) or sell their organs to make a profit (gaining money). Different to BB where dead is dead.

7) No Injuries. Players can get pulled off the field to recover, but (excluding death) are fully recovered by the next game. Prevents luck killing your star player and ruining the league for you against more pro/ luckier teams.

8) Simplified rules. If you know the stats for an Orc, you know the stats for ALL the Orcs. If you know the stats for a Human, you know the stats for ALL the Humans. Same applies to Armor and the three field positions (Striker, Jack, Guard). Makes it very newbie friendly to learn, but doesn't make for a simple game - complexity and strategy play big parts.

9) DB currently has 8-thematic teams planned (4 on release), which include:
- Humans (male, female, or a mix - the all rounders)
- Orx and Goblins
- Space Dwarves
- Space Rats
- Space Elves
- Wild Geneticly Bred Insects
- Long-Limbed Peaceful "Greys"
- Transforming Robots (yup - they actually change their roles on the field)
From what has been picked up on, it doesn't seem any team has a significant advantage over the others - though each also have their own playstyles.

10) Mercinaries and MVP's. Even with a team's "Prefered" tactics, they can hire MVP's from different races. Just one different model in your team from the norm can change a game's dynamic and change your playstyle.

I feel DB is well worth the game its hyped up to be from the demos and rules I've seen/ read. I'd say get a copy if you can. Even if you don't like it I'd say there will be a fair chance you can sell it on later.

OH - afterthought - while it is possible in DB to score every-turn, you can only ever score ONCE per turn as once you throw the ball, weather you achieve your target or not, your turn ends. Thus in DB you want to focus each turn to setting yourself up to score well everytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
OH - afterthought - while it is possible in DB to score every-turn, you can only ever score ONCE per turn as once you throw the ball, weather you achieve your target or not, your turn ends. Thus in DB you want to focus each turn to setting yourself up to score well everytime.

And you can score on someone else's turn if you make a spectacular pickup of a dropped ball which scatters into one of yoru player's squares... It was mentioned somewhere and sounds COOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
You can hurt enemy players by throwing the ball at them with the intent of injuring them...

Your turn doesn't stop the first time you fail a dice roll. Only if you lose (and do not regain) possession of the ball. This means the usual strategic hassle of setting everything up perfectly all the time is lessened.

The three different player types puts actual character into your players, differentiating them by what they CAN do, not by their stats only meaning the differentiation is how WELL they can do something.

Players come out of the injury box at a set time not randomly (4+) as in BB. The more damage they suffer on the pitch, the longer they stay KO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This does sound pretty cool. Trying to convince a couple of mates to be interested in it so if I get the kickstarter option with 4 teams I can sell them to them and play a small league

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the major problems i have with blood bowl is how much of the game is spent setting up for the next turn, and putting your men at serious risk to do it. (i.e. putting my guys in position to throw a block next time as i only get one sprint). This was the massive slow down factor in blood bowl. Also taking the time to arrange men, wasting whole players actions to ensure you got at least two block dice so that one bad roll did not cost you a reroll or an injury on offense. Plus in dreadball YOUR TURN DOES NOT END IF YOU FALL OVER unless you have the ball. *insert angels singing here* That means that throwing blocks is not the primary point of the game, as i believe it is in blood bowl. Instead interactions with the ball are the primary point, which is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.