Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here is another "How does this work?" thread.

If you gain a card (lets say a Curse from Witch) and reveal Watchtower to trash that card, does the trashed card still count as "your card" because you gained it even though it never made it to your hand, deck, or discard pile, thus allowing you to discard Market Square and gain a Gold? My guess is yes, but some verification would be appreciated.

If so, this could be an interesting combo. When gaining the Gold instead of the trashed card, you could reveal Watchtower again to place that Gold on top of your deck. Probably not the most effective combo, a little tough to pull it off, but imagine the possibilities...

Cache - Trash both gained Coppers and put Cache and a Gold on top of your deck.
Mountebank - With two Market Squares, you could put two Golds on top of your deck while trashing a gained Copper and Curse.
Ill-Gotten Gains - Lots of options here. Trash the IGG when gained for a Gold on top of your deck while opponents still gain Curses. Trash the gained Curse and put a Gold on top of your deck when opponents buy IGG. Trash the gained Copper and put a Gold on top of your deck when you play IGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
If you gain a card (lets say a Curse from Witch) and reveal Watchtower to trash that card, does the trashed card still count as "your card" because you gained it even though it never made it to your hand, deck, or discard pile

You gained it; it's yours. Seems straightforward, I think.

As I see it, the only problem with these combos is that you have to have to have high enough density of these two rather weak cards (in terms of what they can do for you on your turn) to have both of them in your hand at the same time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
Mountebank - With two Market Squares, you could put two Golds on top of your deck while trashing a gained Copper and Curse.

You don't need to trash two cards to react with two Market Squares; multiple reactions can be used in response to the same triggering event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm an old friend of Xanderrrr's
badge
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S5E20
mbmbmbmbmb
Open Watchtower/Market Square, then on turn 3 Buy a Squire, trash it with Watchtower to gain a Goons, discarding Market Square to gain a Gold, revealing Watchtower to top-deck Goons and Gold for turn 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Beaveman wrote:
If you gain a card (lets say a Curse from Witch) and reveal Watchtower to trash that card, does the trashed card still count as "your card" because you gained it even though it never made it to your hand, deck, or discard pile, thus allowing you to discard Market Square and gain a Gold? My guess is yes, but some verification would be appreciated.

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.