Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I taught Snake Pit to three students in the fifth grade (10 years old). This is a game that I printed from the author's web site and pasted onto cardstock. The colorful tiles and engaging graphics grabbed the attention of the students and I was able to explain the game including the scoring in about five minutes.

One this I added to the game is that I gave each student a screen so they could hide their tiles behind them during the game.

The game took about 35 minutes, and there were a few turns, especially near the end, where the students took a lot of time trying to find just the right place to put a tile.

I chose this game as part of the weekly hour we have to play math games. The scoring in this game gives the students a chance to practice basic addition in a fun way, and reinforces the idea of a numeric series.

Memorable quote from one of the students: "I don't want to finish that long purple snake because I don't want to have to add up the points." (It was a 10-tile snake).

Final score was 26 to 23 to 3.

The students enjoyed the game and I will bring it back again for future sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.