Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Running Offline Tournaments using Mantis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Seretis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Although byronczimmer's guide was more than thorough in helping TO's run tournaments it had a great disadvantage for me.
It relied on having an internet connection available.And since I have more than once found myself playing somewhere with no Wi-Fi I wanted to have an alternative.
And for this I present to you my guide on how to run a tournament using Mantis.
Mantis is an old program developed by UDE back in the day, to run tournaments for the games it released at the time.It has been discontinued now, but it is still available.
The only reason I'm using this is because I have experience with it, and I had it readily available.You can find it here or here.

And for the completionists among us, here are the original instructions UDE gave on using the program, should you find yourself needing them!

Now with the actual guide.

First thing you need to do, is add your players.This is something you have to do once for every player you add.After that, you can just select them from the list, and enroll them in your tournaments.
Just tick the temporary ID checkbox, and then put in your players first and last name and click add.

Next you want to go over to the Tournament menu at the top, and select Create Tournament.

This should give you the following window.You only need to put a name and choose the Pairing structure.Create 2 tournaments, one with Swiss structure,and one with Grand Melee.The different game options offer no significant change,so you can pick whatever you want.

You will use the 1st tournament to pair up your rounds, and the 2nd to keep track of the prestige points for every player.To switch between tournaments, just click on the dropdown bar on the top.

This will be your main tournament window, after clicking on the Pair Round 1 button.
On the right side, you will pick the winner of the game according to A:NR rules (ie:who has the most match points).

Now on the Grand Melee tournament, just click on the player that you wish to keep track of, and add as many prestige points as need.

Do this for every player, and when done, go back to your main tournament and pair the next round.
If you want to cut to single elimination after completing the necessary rounds, just click on Playoff and choose the number of players you want.

If you have a printer and want to print out pairing slips, or standings, click on print documents and choose what you want.

If you want to change or add player information click on the tab and fill the necessary info.

If you need to keep track of time, click on timer and then Add.The default time is dependant on the type of game you chose when creating the game.Adjust it, click on set, and then start.

If you click on Options, you can change the default time, and also add a notification pop-up when there are X minutes left, and when time is up.

Once the tournament is over, you can click on Close Tournament.If you want to review them later on, click on the archive tab.

And this is a way to run your tournaments off-the-grid.

Couple of things to note:
Running a tournament this way, doesn't allow you to keep track of match points, and this might cause problems, if you want to cut to single elimination and there is a tie.
I suggest you either keep notes outside the program, or ask players to do that for you.I suppose you could have a third tournament for the match points as well, but then again, it would just be a total, not per round.

I'm not quite sure, whether the pairing of the rounds, is in accordance with A:NR rules.This is because a player that lost a match, might have a total of X prestige points, and get paired with someone who has less or more prestige.
Not sure if this is a problem or not.Try it out and let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Seretis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
Thank you

No problem.In doing this guide,I got to revisit the program, and appreciate it again, for how thorough it was.No wonder that my local store used this to run Magic tourney's, instead of Wizards official program.

I was a bit reluctant to post this at first, since the program was UDE's intellectual property but since they have stopped releasing trading card games, I don't really think they will mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I ran a tournament with Mantis this weekend, and would recommend it.

I had tried both Challonge! and Mantis in advance, and decided that there was too much fiddling about required with Challonge! to get the scores right. Meanwhile the Mantis solution allows you do to do all the match-point and prestige calculation yourself, and just enter the number. Unless we get a tool that does all of the match point and prestige point calculations for us, I think I prefer Mantis.

What I did (for redundancy, and for the match-point problem stated above) was to produce a tracking sheet for each player. Each player used that sheet to record their opponent and game stats for each round. On that sheet, I noted the match and prestige points for each player for each round, so if I ever did need to use to match points, the information was there.

I did find one problem, and one watch-out :

Problem : Mantis doesn't seem to allow for a draw; every match is either a win or a loss for each player. There is an option to record a match as a "double loss," a loss for each player. Ultimately I don't think this matters, as long as you have it do the pairings based upon the prestige rankings, but it is a problem for producing an accurate permanent record of performance.

Watch-out : If you choose to close a tournament (Tournament > Close), which would seem to be a natural thing to do at the end, you will subsequently freak out because you think you've lost all the data. The answer is not in any of the the menus on the menu bar; instead, go over to the "Archive" tab, select your tournament, and click on "View" or "Reopen".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on another way to use Challonge but it's taken a back seat for the time being to other projects, like chasing the Woodpecker away from my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shinobishaw
United States
flag msg tools
Support the little guys: buy Luxor.
badge
It's January!!
mbmbmbmbmb
THANK YOU so much for this resource! I plan to tinker with it and let you know if I find any other tricks to make MANTIS play nice with LCG's. Seriously, though, you rule. Hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.