Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome everyone to our third annual Werewolf Secret Santa/Holiday Gift Exchange! I'm so excited to be running this again, I always love seeing this wonderful community come together in generosity and creativity.

Rules will not be 100% final until signups are closed, so feel free to comment on them and make suggestions as you see fit. Once signups are closed, I will consider the rules finalized barring any major problems, so if you have a qualm about them, please don't wait until the Exchange is underway to say something.

Rules

Who Can Participate

-Anyone who has played at least one game in the Werewolf forums on BGG or who is currently signed up for at least one game.
-To enforce this rule, this exchange is invite only: post in this thread to get GM'd the invitation link.

Rules for Giving

What Should I Give

-Board games are always an option, but feel free to make the gift something else. Particularly if you know the person well enough that you think you can judge what they'd like accurately (or when it's something that pretty much everyone loves, like cookies or a live unicorn). Hopefully they will have helpful info in their wishlists and comments as well.

Price

-In keeping with previous years, there is a gift limit of $25 US (or the equivalent in your own country's denominations).
-We have instituted a soft limit of $35 for this exchange. By soft limit, we mean the following: feel free to spend more than $35 if you wish, but such spending is meant to be an exception rather than the rule. No one should be expecting to receive a gift of greater than $35 value. No one who spent $35-ish on a gift should at all be made to feel that they underspent.
-This is to prevent people from being intimidated to participate due to budgetary constraints.
-This does not include shipping (as long as you don't go crazy and try to send your games in a gold-plated box or something).
-This does not obligate you to spend $35 US. Just put thought into your gift. If you manage to find something on super-sale that costs dramatically more than $25 usually, but fits the gift limit, go for it.
-The Board Game Prices website may be useful for you.
-If you're giving things second-hand (assuming your recipient has indicated they're okay with that), please try and keep the price limit in mind nonetheless and not give anything extravagant even if it's technically free since you already owned it. (E.g. Please no second-hand copies of War of the Ring Collector's Edition)

Note: This price limit isn't here to be draconian to you about what you get. It's here to be more fair to everyone other than you so they don't feel like their gift is inadequate after you blow the bank on War of the Ring Collector's Edition for someone. I'm not going to track anyone down for buying something that's $26, just, please, keep it under control so that people who can only afford a $15 card game for their target don't feel like they've done a bad job.

Note: If your budget is limited, do not feel bad for buying something in the $20-$25 range. If you for whatever reason have financial trouble and/or feel badly about not being able to get a $35 gift, contact me and I will try to work out a backup gift giver to help you out with purchasing.

Shipping

-It is strongly, strongly preferred that you be willing to ship worldwide.
-To facilitate this process, it would be helpful if everyone would give the name of internet retailers and/or local FLGSs that will ship to their country of residence to prevent people from having to pay international shipping fees.

New vs. Used

Last year, it seemed like a general consensus was that used-but-in-good-shape was just fine, assuming you didn't go way over the price limit in value. If you are specifically not okay with getting used stuff, please state in the comments when you sign up.

Board games vs. RPGs, VGs, etc.

Gifts should be given according to the wishlist of the recipient, and/or the best judgment of the giver. If they have videogames or RPGs in their wishlist, they should be okay with receiving said gifts. So it may behoove you to check people's VGG and RPGG accounts in addition to their BGG account.

Contacting your target

-You can use the WW Secret Santa account

Lord of Christmas Cheer

a Village
North Pole
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

to anonymously contact your target in order to ask them questions, taunt them, etc. The password is "password."
-Don't open GMs that aren't from your target when using the WW Santa account.
-To prevent situations where people are worried that their Santa has forgotten them, there is a deadline by which you need to have either sent your target a gift or at least contacted them via this account in order to let them know that they have an active Santa who hasn't forgotten them. I'm not forcing you to play cat-and-mouse taunting games with them or anything, just either have their gift to them or send a GM that says "I'm getting you something good! " or "Targeted acquired!" or something. See the Deadlines section.

Rules for Receiving

Wishlists

-Keep your wishlist up to date so your Santa knows what you want!
-Make sure you include games of appropriate value on the wishlist. -Don't forget that you can include video games and RPGs due to the expanding nature of BGG; you may want to include a note somewhere to check your appropriate wishlists.
-See the Deadline section for when your Wishlists should be more or less finalized.

Other gifts

-If you are happy receiving other gifts, like food or trinkets, feel free to list such information in the comments section when you sign up.
-You can also add Outside the Scope of BGG to your wishlist and make wishlist comments there.
-You may want to include any sort of dietary restrictions or food allergies in your comments if you're okay with receiving, say, cookies.

Graciously receiving gifts

-During the first year, we had problems with some Santas being unsure whether their gift was received or enjoyed.
-Thus, there is a requirement to add your gift to the "Look what I got" Geeklist so your Santa can see you got it and are pleased. Be gracious and thank your Santa!
-If you receive the gift early but are waiting until Christmas or some other day to open it, you can always put up some sort of placeholder item on the list just so your Santa knows the gift arrived okay.

Communication

If your Santa writes you, make sure to answer their questions (if any) in a prompt manner to help them buy gifts or figure out what you'd like. They're putting effort into pleasing you, make sure you show appreciation by contributing!

BGG.con

Several people last year wanted their Santa to wait until after BGG.con to buy gifts, since the recipients weren't sure what they might be buying at the con or what they might fall in love with there. That's fine! Please include this in your signup comments or otherwise communicate it to your Santa.

Deadlines

All deadlines are currently tentative.

Signups Closed/Preliminary Targets Given

Nov. 7, 2012. Super special extension to Nov. 19 OMG. You will have a couple days in order to contact me with any problems you may have regarding your target (someone you know personally and are getting gifts anyway, they killed your puppy once, they're your alter-ego, etc.).

Targets Finalized/Have Your Wishlist Finalized

Nov. 9, 2012 Super special extension to Nov. 21

Contacting your target

Target should either have their gift or at least a GM saying you haven't forgotten them by Dec. 10

Posting your gifts to the Geeklist

January 5. That gives a few days to a couple weeks after any given winter holiday at which you might open presents and lets you get over any possible New Years' hangovers.

FAQs/Clarifications

May be updated.

TL;DR

-Post in thread for invite
-Read the deadlines
-SOFT $35 gift limit for gifts, not counting shipping etc. If you want to overspend, be my guest, but no one is expected to do so.
-Read the deadlines!!
-Helpful if you give names of FLGSs or online stores that ship in your country affordably
-Have fun and show each other what a great family we are!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to participate in this merrymaking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
TL;DR;IN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm used to making other people feel inadequate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up in Cassandra!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year we had 33 participants. Let's see if we can break that this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! (even though it means I have to dust the cobwebs off of my wishlist)

I'm also totally fine with cookies and other non-game things.

Now to stress over giving something cool enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The $25 "limit" seems too restrictive. Almost anything that isn't a card game is going to cost $30 or more.

I know we want to be inclusive to those on tight budgets, but a limit that low is basically going to turn this into "Card Game Secret Santa". Increasing it to $30-$35 is only 5-10 extra dollars, but significantly expands the scope of what can be gifted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
The $25 "limit" seems too restrictive. Almost anything that isn't a card game is going to cost $30 or more.

I know we want to be inclusive to those on tight budgets, but a limit that low is basically going to turn this into "Card Game Secret Santa". Increasing it to $30-$35 is only 5-10 extra dollars, but significantly expands the scope of what can be gifted.

Have you seen the gifts for the past couple years? 2010 and 2011. You can get some remarkably solid games for $25 or less (for example Fantasy Flight usually does a sale in November/December with things like Android on sale for $25), especially if you use the BoardGamePrices site.

Plus, like it says, it's a soft limit; I'm not going to blacklist you if you go a few over.

That said, if people would rather increase the limit, I can. $25 was the group consensus back when I made the first one in 2010, maybe the community's feelings have changed since then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
I would prefer the gift spending limit to be (in US $)...
Some value less than $25
$25
$30
$35
$40+
I don't think there should be a spending limit
      28 answers
Poll created by StatSig

Poll
If you chose to have a limit above, would you prefer that it be a "hard" limit (No one should go above this limit more than a couple bucks of leeway) or a "soft" limit (this limit is the 'expected' value of a gift and a gift of this price range won't be looked down upon, but there will be no restrictions on people overspending if they want to, knowing they will probably get a limit-level gift in return)?
Hard
Soft
No limits, no rules! WOOOOARRHHH!
      24 answers
Poll created by StatSig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
mbmbmbmbmb
To get in the spirit I've been looking back over the geeklists from 2010 and 2011. So many fun gifts and happy recipients! Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StatSig wrote:
Urza47 wrote:

Have you seen the gifts for the past couple years? 2010 and 2011. You can get some remarkably solid games for $25 or less (for example Fantasy Flight usually does a sale in November/December with things like Android on sale for $25), especially if you use the BoardGamePrices site.

Plus, like it says, it's a soft limit; I'm not going to blacklist you if you go a few over.

That said, if people would rather increase the limit, I can. $25 was the group consensus back when I made the first one in 2010, maybe the community's feelings have changed since then.

Just skimming the list, more than half the games I recognized were card/dice games or expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your concern. So I've put up the poll above and sometime closer to the closing date of signups, I'll use that poll to decide what to do regarding prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I have no issue with no price limit, but with a $25 soft limit. Everyone should be able to participate with the understanding that something around $25 will not be construed as a short present or the like, but if someone just wants to nail a $60 present or something with the expectation that they'll get $25 back, then good for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziilch wrote:
Personally, I have no issue with no price limit, but with a $25 soft limit. Everyone should be able to participate with the understanding that something around $25 will not be construed as a short present or the like, but if someone just wants to nail a $60 present or something with the expectation that they'll get $25 back, then good for them.

Italicized was the main reason for the limit in the first place. We had a good number of people who were worried that they would feel like what they could afford would be a meager contribution that would not be appreciated, so we capped the prices so that no one had to feel bad when someone went off and got their Secret Santa an iPad or something, as seems to inevitably happen with gift exchanges at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StatSig wrote:
Ziilch wrote:

Italicized was the main reason for the limit in the first place. We had a good number of people who were worried that they would feel like what they could afford would be a meager contribution that would not be appreciated, so we capped the prices so that no one had to feel bad when someone went off and got their Secret Santa an iPad or something, as seems to inevitably happen with gift exchanges at some point.

Was the idea of a soft limit tossed around, though? No one should enter a gift exchange with a limit of $20, spend $200, then get offended when they get a $20 present back. That's just plain illogical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziilch wrote:
StatSig wrote:
Ziilch wrote:

Was the idea of a soft limit tossed around, though? No one should enter a gift exchange with a limit of $20, spend $200, then get offended when they get a $20 present back. That's just plain illogical.

I honestly don't remember that well whether we discussed a soft limit or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added another poll regarding hard vs. soft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StatSig wrote:
Added another poll regarding hard vs. soft.

I snorted when I read this. I figured I'd post something so the rest of you wouldn't feel alone when you laughed as well.

Edit: Darn you, Shushnik!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Brea
CA
flag msg tools
This space intentionally left green.
badge
GRRREEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want in too, please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOOOOARRHHH, by the way, is what I decided was the onomatopoeia for a gruff, angry, Marine-in-Sparta sort of yell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
StatSig wrote:
WOOOOARRHHH, by the way, is what I decided was the onomatopoeia for a gruff, angry, Marine-in-Sparta sort of yell.

I'm fairly certain the marine yell is "Ooo-rah"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSparky wrote:
StatSig wrote:

I'm fairly certain the marine yell is "Ooo-rah"

Yes, but what about Marines in Sparta, Sparky? That's like elephants and elephant seals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.