United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply Catan, the OOP, SimplyFun exclusive, simpified and prettied up version of Catan will be on a clearance sale again, for only $9.29 plus shipping.

This game can no longer be ordered from SimplyFun or at Parties. It was never available at stores (though now it can be found via third-party resellers) List price was $42.

If you are not a consultant for SimplyFun, find one quickly and ask them to order it for you. They do not have a consultant locator, but direct you to contact them to find a consultant near you. http://simplyfun.com/about/contact/general_contact.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how this constitutes a hot deal if it's only available to "consultants."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize it was out of print or I would have tried to unload the couple copies I have, now this may make it more difficult

I wonder if reason simplyfun doesn't produce it anymore is because their license that allowed them to produce this version of catan has expired?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayfair seems to be releasing their OWN version of this, called the FAMILY EDITION. Maybe that's why it's going away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
I don't understand how this constitutes a hot deal if it's only available to "consultants."

Since it is out of print the price has been climbing, up to $50 on Amazon.

If you are looking for a copy without paying someone who stockpiled them, this is a chance to get it for 75% off retail.

Apparently they had a few more copies since they took it off the website. So you can get it cheap if you find a company rep to buy it from.

Yes, it's a bit odd, but some people are seeking out the plastic bit edition.

Quote:
I didn't realize it was out of print or I would have tried to unload the couple copies I have, now this may make it more difficult

I wonder if reason simplyfun doesn't produce it anymore is because their license that allowed them to produce this version of catan has expired?

I doubt it was the license, I think it was the wrong market and they were not able to sell it. I wrote up the whole SimplyFun business model and their sisterhood with Kosmos. Their focus has since gone even more pre-school aged.

I wouldn't worry about this getting harder to sell because of this one freak sale. It had seemed like the last of them were gone last year.

Quote:
Mayfair seems to be releasing their OWN version of this, called the FAMILY EDITION. Maybe that's why it's going away...

Totally different edition. Simply Catan is a miniaturized edition, with terrain strips (I think Tom Vassel had calcualted it to 192 combinations or thereabouts) and a lower goal of points, but other than that it is basically Settlers of Catan the full game.

But mostly I think the appeal is in the bits:

Painted set by mildthrill shows the detail:

MildThrill points out here that these are the same moulds used in the much more expensive Catan 3d Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad. I must have confused it with the "gallery edition"... or whichever other version that exists that has the tiles laid out in "strips."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
looking at game page for completed ebay auctions doesn't seem to go for very much so guess it's value has never really gone up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
looking at game page for completed ebay auctions doesn't seem to go for very much so guess it's value has never really gone up

Oh well. I thought I remembered people asking about it.

BTW, since the consultants are not allowed to sell the games on ebay or Amazon or any other online store, I doubt the sale will have any bearing on resale prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Meyer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OOP? Dang it, I should have bought it when Drugstore.com had them on closeout for $15 (and I had a $5 off coupon too). But no, I decided to wait until later to buy it....shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:

Totally different edition. Simply Catan is a miniaturized edition, with terrain strips (I think Tom Vassel had calcualted it to 192 combinations or thereabouts) and a lower goal of points, but other than that it is basically Settlers of Catan the full game.

But mostly I think the appeal is in the bits:

It has a "simple" rules option but does include everything you need to play the full game. The detailed bits are fun, and the overall presentation is much nicer than the standard edition of Catan. Obviously it all comes down to personal preference, but everyone we've played with prefers the Simply Catan design. The biggest downside of this version is that it's incompatible with expansions, although we were able to resize and print the fishing and oil expansions to work with our board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.