Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Grindling
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have been playing a lot of zombicide lately, and for the most part I love it. What has been ruining the game for me personally is cars. Any mission with a car pretty much become people driving around smoking zombies which is not fun. here is a fix my friends and I came up with that works awesome.

1. Only 1 person can drive a car per round. (no switching seats on the players last action so somone else can drive and repeat)

2. Car only does damage upon going through or entering a zone, not leaving it. (prevents just moving forward and reversing for 2 rounds of hits per action , and makes sense since you don't have enough speed yet to smash)

3. Every time you successfully kill any number of zombies in any given zone you roll 1 dice. On a roll of 1 the car takes a "wound" . After 2 wounds, it is wrecked. (similar to characters wound total, gives some kind of risk for killing everything)

Let me know what ya think. This makes the game way more challenging and cinematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think 1. is necesary, since you need one empty space to do the switch, which limits the strategy a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Grindling
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
yea that makes sense, just didn't want the car to be the only weapon people tried to kill zombies with, but ya that might be overkill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or try a scenario where killing too many zombies with the car is counterproductive.
(Shameless plug)

Try it with "A Tragic End" a couple of times. Then, after you've been humbled/humiliated by the zombies (as I have), give it a try without "A Tragic End". In this mission, the car doesn't seem so overpowered since you get it late in the scenario - and even if you use it to kill the zombies that spill out of the hospital, it only makes it "fair" since it lets the survivors inside it get away from danger. Besides, it will bring the survivors driving it closer to the red level.

Also,
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
recently posted that "change seats" means "move into an empty seat in the car", not "trade seats with another survivor"... meaning it takes 2 actions (performed by different survivors) to switch drivers, and you can't switch drivers with 4 survivors in the car. That makes cars a lot less powerful (but still reasonably powerful) than if you don't play that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Been playing with something very similiar and its good fun for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it is strange that a car running up and down the same street three or four times, while gunning the engine to run over hapless zeds, makes less noise than 1 shot from a handgun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warrick P
msg tools
mb
We've set it up that you can move forward OR backward with each action in a car. The moving forward once space and backwards to your starting space in one action plan then doesn't work and cars become less useful.

I do like the idea of cars getting damaged. But maybe set it up that after two "wounds" on the car (1d6 per zombie, wounded on a 6) a survivor has to get out of the car and clear the grill or pull the zombie out of the wheel well. Then the car can move again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Wubbenhorst
msg tools
Have not refined my own rules yet, but have been looking at car damage too. Ive only been doing with Fatties or Aboms, since they cannot be killed by the vehicle. Still testing everything, but looking at one or more of these:

-Car drives into two or more fatties, car takes damage.
-Car drives into Abom, car takes damage
-Car drives into a space with another car in it, it crashes.

If there is a crash we are testing:
One or Both cars are wrecked and no longer usable.
Player in passenger seat takes a wound

As a side note, we have also been toying blowing the car up. If you throw a Molotov at a car, at the end of the next zombie phase it blows up. Options for that have been:

-Loudest area for one turn.
-Deal 1-2 damage to all neighboring regions.
-The on fire car acts as a temporary barrier for zombies for a given number of turns. Zombies will have to walk around. If they cannot walk around then they will try to walk through. A dice roll for entering to see if they burn up. Target kill order remains the same.

Intend to write this up if we decide what we think is fun and fair. Would like a peer review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Diggler
msg tools
Here is the fix that I have written up, it requires you to make new double sided counters- and adds what I think might be some cool elements for creating some missions around the mechanic. I might do some graphics for a printable token later on at some stage.

New counter: Car Keys/Breakdown

Cars that begin a scenario as drivable carry a Car Keys counter. A survivor in the drivers seat of a car may only make a driving action so long as there is a Car Keys counter on the car. Certain scenarios may require survivors to retrieve car keys from another zone in order to operate a vehicle: survivors take an action to pick up keys just like an objective. They can carry keys in their inventory without using a slot. If a survivor is injured, they car keys may not be discarded like a normal inventory item, but if the survivor carrying car keys is killed, the keys will drop in the zone in which they were killed- place the Car Keys counter in the zone which the survivor was removed. Once a survivor carrying keys enters a car, the Car Keys counter is placed on the car and remains with that car for the rest of the game.

Breakdown: Roll a dice at the end of any action taken to drive a car that enters or exits a zone containing actors. On a roll of a one, flip the car keys counter over to a breakdown counter. An action may not be used to drive the car whilst it has a breakdown counter.

Running Repairs: Any survivor in a zone with a car with a breakdown counter, or inside a car with a breakdown counter, may take an action to try and make running repairs. On a roll of a six, flip the Breakdown counter over to a Car Keys counter. Survivors may make as many repair action attempts per turn as they have actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
an obvious extension of this would be adding a survivor skill called "mechanic" that allows flipping breakdown to keys as an action without requiring a roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Diggler
msg tools
Yep! I had thought of that too, or perhaps modifies the Running Repairs roll to 4 or 5+ instead of 6+ to repair. It would make a really cool survivor. Whether he is an older guy with a beard who normally drives an R.V and wears a fishing hat or not is up to you.

Another skill, which might be best as a tier choice at orange level, might be Road Rage which allows a survivor to ignore one failed breakdown check per game.

EDIT:

if written more formally:

Mechanic: A survivor with the Mechanic rule succeeds in flipping a breakdown counter on 5+ when using an action to attempt a Running Repair.

Road Rage: A survivor with the Road Rage rule may ignore one failed Breakdown check per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan -san
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing with the rule that if you roll a '1' while damaging something with the car, you get a wound on the car. 4 wounds totals the car. Been pretty effective so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brooklyn Lundberg
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Fixxxer76 wrote:
2. Car only does damage upon going through or entering a zone, not leaving it. (prevents just moving forward and reversing for 2 rounds of hits per action , and makes sense since you don't have enough speed yet to smash)

Whats the point of doing this? when would you want to do 2 round of hits per action? is this just saying that if you start your action halfway down a street you cant drive down the street and then come back up in reverse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.