Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Chiu
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If a runner's action takes it one square into a zone with a survivor, does it stop or keep going? And does it cause any damage if it stops, or does it simply stop its movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
With its first action, it moves into the zone with the survivor.
With its second action, it attacks the survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
ArkhamKitty wrote:
If a runner's action takes it one square into a zone with a survivor, does it stop or keep going? And does it cause any damage if it stops, or does it simply stop its movement?

As it says on Page 9:
The Rules, page 9 wrote:
Runners have two Actions. After the first Action, they immediately repeat phase 1 (Attack) or, if there is nobody to attack, phase 2 (Movement).

So if a runner is in an adjacent zone to a survivor, and that survivor is the loudest zone with survivors that the runner can see, then its actions would go:

1) Move into the zone with the survivor
2) Attack the survivor (causing one wound)

If the runner were in the same zone as a survivor at the beginning of the Zombies' turn, the survivor would take two wounds (and die, assuming he was the only survivor in there and didn't have a Goalie Mask).

Edit: Bah, curse my loquaciousness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArkhamKitty wrote:

Runners receive two actions. For the first action, if in a location with a survivor, it attacks; otherwise, it moves, IAW the zombie movement rules, one location. For the second action, if in a location with a survivor, it attacks; otherwise, it moves, IAW the zombie movement rules, one location.

So, if it moves for its first action and the location it moves into has a survivor in it, then, for its second action, it attacks the survivor.

zombie zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
sekhmet wrote:

Edit: Bah, curse my loquaciousness!

But it's a thorough description, which I respect. Lately, I've been trying to keep it short and to the point otherwise I tend to go on and on.

There is a place for context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
ArkhamKitty wrote:

Runners receive two actions. For the first action, if in a location with a survivor, it attacks; otherwise, it moves, IAW the zombie movement rules, one location. For the second action, if in a location with a survivor, it attacks; otherwise, it moves, IAW the zombie movement rules, one location.

So, if it moves for its first action and the location it moves into has a survivor in it, then, for its second action, it attacks the survivor.

zombie zombie

By the way, this can have some interesting consequences. For instance, say the loudest zone is far away from the runner and out of sight. On its first action, it moves towards the loudest zone. This puts it in a position where it can now see one or more survivors. With its second movement, it moves towards the loudest survivor it can see.

Also, sometimes a runner can split during its first action (due to a choice of two paths or two equally loud zones in different directions it has to move towards), then split again (for the same reasons). This only tends to happen if you have lots of zones that are equally loud (say, one survivor in each with no noise markers in their zones) and inside a building (or outside if there is a zone with doors adjacent to a zone with an intersection, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
IAW

???

And, to answer the OP, or to put what's already been said in slightly different words:

A runner always does one of 4 things:

1) If there's a survivor in the starting zone, Attack, if there's still a survivor in the starting zone, Attack again.
2) If there's a survivor in the starting zone, Attack, if there's now no survivors in the starting zone, Move.
3) If there's no survivors in the starting zone, Move, if there's a survivor in the the zone they moved to, Attack.
4) If there's no survivors in the starting zone, Move, if there's no survivors in the the zone they moved to, Move again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Watkins
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This affected us. I'll have to reread the instructions when I can, but ... I was told a runner moves & attacks, moves & attacks. It killed us in the game I played since we were two moves from a pack of two (darn zombie splitting) and one move from a pack of 3 runners and the runners got an extra turn from a card draw.
So from what is noted here, the runners next to us would be able to move to us and attack(only once), and the pair two moves away would only be able to move to where we are.

We'd be in big trouble, but only would take 3 wounds instead of the zombie-feast we turned into with 8 wounds being done the other way.

Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Aging One wrote:
IAW

???

And, to answer the OP, or to put what's already been said in slightly different words:

A runner always does one of 4 things:

1) If there's a survivor in the starting zone, Attack, if there's still a survivor in the starting zone, Attack again.
2) If there's a survivor in the starting zone, Attack, if there's now no survivors in the starting zone, Move.
3) If there's no survivors in the starting zone, Move, if there's a survivor in the the zone they moved to, Attack.
4) If there's no survivors in the starting zone, Move, if there's no survivors in the the zone they moved to, Move again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild_Imagination wrote:
I was told a runner moves & attacks, moves & attacks.

Not really, in a single activation a Runner attacks OR moves, then attacks OR moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild_Imagination wrote:
This affected us. I'll have to reread the instructions when I can, but ... I was told a runner moves & attacks, moves & attacks. It killed us in the game I played since we were two moves from a pack of two (darn zombie splitting) and one move from a pack of 3 runners and the runners got an extra turn from a card draw.
So from what is noted here, the runners next to us would be able to move to us and attack(only once), and the pair two moves away would only be able to move to where we are.

We'd be in big trouble, but only would take 3 wounds instead of the zombie-feast we turned into with 8 wounds being done the other way.

Whatever the zombie type, when they take an Action, Attack is always done first, and only if there's no-one to Attack do they Move.

The only difference with runners is they get to do two Actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add another level of complexity to this question:

Imagine 5 runners in zone A and 1 survivor in zone B next to it.

Do the runners act as a group, i.e. all of them move into zone B (action 1) and then attack (action 2)?
Or would it be resolved like this:
- Runner 1 moves and attacks,
- Runner 2 moves and attacks the survivor,
- Runner 3 moves and either attacks (survivor is tough) or moves on (survivor's already dead),
- Runner 4 moves and either attacks (survivor has this second defensive attribute) or moves on (survivor is already dead),
- Runner 5 moves and moves ...

Mad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
Always as group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Resolve all the first actions, then all the second actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For clarity:

Always resolve all the first actions, as a group, then all the second actions, as a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

thank you.
Yeah, I probably missed the two examples on pg 9 of the rulebook. The examples answer my question as much as you did. Thank you again.

All the best!
Mad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so let me take another example what happend to me today:

if in zone A are --> 2 Survivors (both with 1 wound!!) and 3 runners
and in zone B (one zone away of zone A) is 1 runner

AND I draw a "all runners 1 extra turn" card

what happens, a or b?

a) the 3 Runners in zone A all, as a group, attack the first survivor (dead, cause he had already one wound and now gets 3) and then attack the second survivor (dead, cause he had already one wound and now gets 3) so now they would have no action left cause they attacked two times and the Runner of zone B runs 2 spaces through zone A(cause there are no survivors anymore in Zone A that would stop him and the noise is coming from that direction)

or can i move the runner in Zone B first into Zone A (with his first action) that he is part of the runner group and attacks the survivor with his second action in the group's attack action?

So my questsion is when you draw a card where the zombies get an extra turn, is there the same order? Phase 1: attacking, Phase 2: movement?

or example b)

the 3 runners kill the 2 survivors with their first action (1.runner kills the first survivor, 2. runner kills the second survivor and the third runner is in the feeding frenzy) and NOW they have as a group the second action and they all move one space to the next survivor in LOS or the noise...

hope you all know what i mean

greez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adjacentbeastman wrote:

So my questsion is when you draw a card where the zombies get an extra turn, is there the same order? Phase 1: attacking, Phase 2: movement?

Yes.

So "b)" is the way you resolve the three in the same zone as the survivors. But the one Runner on its own will move towards the noisiest, etc zone after the others eat the "survivors". Then all zombies have their next attack/move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You always follow the same order for zombies attacking/moving, whether it's during the normal phase or as a result of extra activations (which could happen in the survivors turn if you open a building for example)

The 3 zombies in zone A in your example wouldn't take a second action though after killing the survivors. Their first action would kill the two survivors (as 3 attacks outnumber the 2 wounds they have) then they have a feeding frenzy so they don't move until the next zombie phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
You always follow the same order for zombies attacking/moving, whether it's during the normal phase or as a result of extra activations (which could happen in the survivors turn if you open a building for example)

The 3 zombies in zone A in your example wouldn't take a second action though after killing the survivors. Their first action would kill the two survivors (as 3 attacks outnumber the 2 wounds they have) then they have a feeding frenzy so they don't move until the next zombie phase.

Why do they just have one action although they are runners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
adjacentbeastman wrote:

Yes.

So "b)" is the way you resolve the three in the same zone as the survivors. But the one Runner on its own will move towards the noisiest, etc zone after the others eat the "survivors". Then all zombies have their next attack/move.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adjacentbeastman wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

Why do they just have one action although they are runners?

Or is the feedin frenzy of the third runner the second action of the runner group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first action is that the group attacks and does three wounds which kills both survivors. The second action for that group is wasted by the feeding frenzy. If you had 10 walkers on the same zone instead then they would still attack as a group and even though the first 3 technically kill the survivors the other 7 would be wasted as they fed. If you had a combination of zombies on the zone once the survivors had been killed the rest still get involved in the feeding frenzy and don't move off until the next zombie phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
The first action is that the group attacks and does three wounds which kills both survivors. The second action for that group is wasted by the feeding frenzy. If you had 10 walkers on the same zone instead then they would still attack as a group and even though the first 3 technically kill the survivors the other 7 would be wasted as they fed. If you had a combination of zombies on the zone once the survivors had been killed the rest still get involved in the feeding frenzy and don't move off until the next zombie phase.

So you think that feeding francy is killing the runners second action?

I don't know ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you are right. It doesn't kill the second action for runners. But any remaining actions for the rest of the group are wasted as they have a feeding frenzy. It's on Page 9 of the rulebook including an example for runners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
No, you are right. It doesn't kill the second action for runners. But any remaining actions for the rest of the group are wasted as they have a feeding frenzy. It's on Page 9 of the rulebook including an example for runners.
#

the example is about walkers on page 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.