Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this discarded after use? It's only 1 point, so my guess is yes, but I want to be sure. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it stays with the pilot the duration of the game... I think it's only one point because it's so specific.

You have to be crit
The crit has to be a Pilot effect
All it does is remove the effect, not the damage

So I think 1 point is fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
No, it stays with the pilot the duration of the game... I think it's only one point because it's so specific.

You have to be crit
The crit has to be a Pilot effect
All it does is remove the effect, not the damage

So I think 1 point is fair.

Don't have my game handy so someone else can confirm/deny, but I'm fairly certain that Determination causes "Pilot" damage cards to be discarded (not simply turned face down). So your pilot, through grit, effectively cancels the damage.

Pilot damage cards make up a little less than 25% of the damage deck. It's only 1 Point, but you need to be hit with a Critical and then you need that Critical to be a Pilot damage card. Contextual, but certainly worth it when it pays off because it buys your ship more life.

I'm toying with it in my Rebel builds, since you're already so outnumbered any 'extra time' is especially useful. It's yet to pay off, though, so it may not stay in my builds for long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card text:

When you are dealt a faceup damage card with the Pilot trait, immediately flip the damage card facedown (without resolving its ability).

So the damage sticks.

Edit: okay, I've just seen something else that has different text ("discard it immediately") so I'm not sure what's real. I'd say I'll check when I get home, but I'm seeing DEVO play tonight, so X-Wing will have to wait.

Sorry for the confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
Card text:

When you are dealt a faceup damage card with the Pilot trait, immediately flip the damage card facedown (without resolving its ability).

So the damage sticks.

Edit: okay, I've just seen something else that has different text ("discard it immediately") so I'm not sure what's real. I'd say I'll check when I get home, but I'm seeing DEVO play tonight, so X-Wing will have to wait.

Sorry for the confusion!

I'm staring at the card as I type this.

The damage card is discarded, it is not flipped facedown and therefore the damage disappears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There you go, then... I wonder where the text in the squad builder came from? Pre-release card? Oh, well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Simon
Philippines
flag msg tools
Make America Great Again
badge
Proud member of the Basket of Deplorables
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably, also the excel file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think less than 1/3 of the crits are Pilot damage, so it's pretty situational.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
I think less than 1/3 of the crits are Pilot damage, so it's pretty situational.

-shnar

On the other hand it's the only damage reducing ability elite TIEs can get. Also, many of the ship critical cards can be turned face down as a part of their text effect.

I also think the pilot criticals are more severe than the ship ones and you stop their effect altogether, unlike the R5 astromech that only kicks in in the end phase.

Plus it's just one point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

8/33 (just under 25%) if I remember correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hqbwk wrote:
Is this discarded after use? It's only 1 point, so my guess is yes, but I want to be sure. Thanks in advance.

There's never a reason to guess. A card says specifically if it is to be discarded upon use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
reitoei wrote:
Card text:

So the damage sticks.

Sorry for the confusion!

I think the problem is that Determination has changed effect. The card image shown in the database is probably grabbed from an early new release.

Determination itself is not discarded but the Pilot damage that it is dealt is. In other words, no hit if it is Pilot damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.