Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend a game that has fairly deep strategy but is also fun?

I basically want something to bring together (in gaming harmony) the people who always want to play Euros like Agricola and Ora et Labora (and who scoff at game with dice), and people who want to play King of Tokyo once in a while.

I have tried to introduce some Stefan Feld games (CoB, Macao), but my overly competitive friend despises the use of dice (as it means he is not in total control of his play!!!).

Is there something that can bridge the gap? Strategic games but not as dry as Ora et Labora?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Lords of Waterdeep?
Or tell your overly competitive friend to stay home and play King of Tokyo with the fun crowd.

Dominant Species
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
In the Year of the Dragon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people aren't happy unless they're throwing dice and screwing opponents. That's just not compatible with someone who wants a totally controlled game. For some people strategy is fun and lack of strategy is not.

Egizia, Glen More, and Hansa Teutonica are lighter (and quicker-learning) worker placement games, but they have no dice (well, Glen More has one die for the robot player for 2 or 3) and they don't really allow much screwage, though Hansa Teutonica has a lot of apparent screwage (which often helps the player being screwed).

I tend to think you just need to find enough players that two games can be played at once. Or, since you seem to like both, have heavy strategy sessions and dice sessions. Two player games are available for both styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Hawaii to be very strategic, but it feels more of a fun game than Ora (which I also really love).

Helvetia also manages to scratch the strategy itch but in a more sociable manner.

It's a shame your friend doesn't like dice even when they're used stratgically, as this rules out our current favourite for strategic fun....Seasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Navegador might work for you. No dice. Read http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/602967/alexfrogs-navegador-s... and see if this is enough strategy for you. But don't take the strategy advice as gospel -- there are other ways to win than the one(s) that are listed here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
thumbsup for Glen More. How did I forget that one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spotted Owl Games
msg tools
publisher
Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride and Small World are all fun strategy games that don't involve dice. Have you tried any of them? (okay, Small World has a dice, but it's effect is minimal).

Not to be too self serving, but Fast Food Legend is a hilarious strategy game that parodies the fast food industry. Our first attempt on Kickstarter didn't succeed, but it is going to be relaunched in early 2013.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpottedOwlGames wrote:
Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride and Small World are all fun strategy games that don't involve dice. Have you tried any of them? (okay, Small World has a dice, but it's effect is minimal).

Not to be too self serving, but Fast Food Legend is a hilarious strategy game that parodies the fast food industry. Our first attempt on Kickstarter didn't succeed, but it is going to be relaunched in early 2013.

Yep Puerto Rico and Small World get minimal gaming time in our group. Not sure I'd call Power Grid fun, seems a bit mathy to me? Ticket to Ride doesn't really appeal as it is a bit light I think.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...will do some more research and see what I can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spotted Owl Games
msg tools
publisher
slimo wrote:
Not sure I'd call Power Grid fun, seems a bit mathy to me?

Ouch, burn!

slimo wrote:
Ticket to Ride doesn't really appeal as it is a bit light I think.

Yeah, it is a bit lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavarnway
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Village. Carson City with the no dice variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
Can anyone recommend a game that has fairly deep strategy but is also fun?

I basically want something to bring together (in gaming harmony) the people who always want to play Euros like Agricola and Ora et Labora (and who scoff at game with dice), and people who want to play King of Tokyo once in a while.

I have tried to introduce some Stefan Feld games (CoB, Macao), but my overly competitive friend despises the use of dice (as it means he is not in total control of his play!!!).

Is there something that can bridge the gap? Strategic games but not as dry as Ora et Labora?

Chicago Express No dice, but auctions to screw your friends (it's not about buying stock, it's about making the other players pay too much for stock). Nothing is random, not even start configuration. Check it out. Plays in about 60-90 minutes.

Tigris & Euphrates no dice, direct conflict. Classic that holds up well, looks like a euro (colors & tiles), but has lots of direct interaction.

Explain to your friend that dice use in games is about "risk management" not "randomness".

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Glen More and Puerto Rico.

Dungeon Petz's theme may appeal to the KoT crowd, but the gameplay is quite heavy, and it's only up to 4 players.

Alien Frontiers + expansions should be perfect, as it can play up to 5 and the theme is fun. You know, if it's just 1 guy who doesn't like dice but the rest don't mind, then why sacrifice the enjoyment of everybody else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Puerto Rico, Power Grid, and Glen More, however I think the "fun" crowd might not enjoy them as much, as they can appear to be dry. You need to look for good hybrid games. Lords of Waterdeep, Carson City, Alien Frontiers, Dungeon Petz, and Small World are excellent choices. I would also consider:

Fury of Dracula
Ninjato
Galaxy Trucker
Kingsburg
Survive
Colossal Arena
Cities and Knights of Catan with Event Cards
Fearsome Floors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Shadows over Camelot over the weekend. No dice, but plenty of card draws. Will that be too random for your hard-core Euro gamer friends? If not, worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched several reviews of The Manhattan Project, and this also seems to fit your requirements exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Manhattan Project is a great game, but it is a pure euro through and through. The ability to airstrike other players should be used intelligently and not abused or else the person using it will lose.

Cyclades is one I'm surprised noone's mentioned. Little miniatures and auctioning.

I'll also throw in my hat for a great light wargame (very light, 5 minute rule explanation) called 1812: The Invasion of Canada. If your group likes playing in teams, this game is killer with 2-5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I think of many of my favorite games as strategic AND fun, but most have a lot of dice and likely wouldn't be a hit with your one friend. But maybe you could take a look at Feudal. In it, you're moving a small medieval army of miniatures around fighting for territory, but there's no dice at all; combat is more like Chess in that each of your troop types has a set way of movement across the board. It can also be played by up to four people.

It's an old classic and has been out of print for many years, but it can be easily picked up on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.