Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: FFG boxes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: What's_In_The_Box? [+] [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone knows whay they're so crappy? I'm talking about their inlay of course. I see a lot of euro games have such great boxes, with places for most if not all the components of the game, which saves you plano boxes. Is it a deliberate strategy of FFG to save money or what?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Anyone knows whay they're so crappy? I'm talking about their inlay of course. I see a lot of euro games have such great boxes, with places for most if not all the components of the game, which saves you plano boxes. Is it a deliberate strategy of FFG to save money or what?


They might have taken into account that a lot of the buyers simply ditch them. I know I do. Cards in the game? Sleeve them and the inlay's useless.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh you mean that thing that takes up 95% of the box space leaving you a sliver of room for components? Yeah, those "inserts" go in the trash. Components bagged on top of the board, or components in a plano on top of the rules on top of the board.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always figured its because they figure as soon as the first expansion comes then the insert will be tossed anyway to make room for new components.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I keep them at all, I usually flip them over. Then I have twice as much storage space!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:
If I keep them at all, I usually flip them over. Then I have twice as much storage space!


Yep. I flip until they are too full, then ditch...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG inserts do a number of things:

1) Keep the cost down (it's about the cheapest insert you can make).
2) Keep the box contents secure until it's opened (please take notes, WizKids).
3) Allow plenty of room for adding expansions to the original box.

Making a molded insert would do the following inverse things:

1) Drive the price up.
2) Force you to store expansions in separate boxes.
3) Likely prevent you from being able to sleeve your cards if you wanted to keep them in the insert.

Still upset?
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
it still amazes me that they made such a good one for Talisman and an Okay one for Arkham Horror, yet everything else gets a crappy bit of card x
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atilla Kármán
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the crowd: plano boxes are the best solution imho for organization.
Yeah, they cost additional money, but setting up the game with them is much more faster.
I'd rather spend my time playing the game than setting it up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Inlays are 75% to keep all the components from crashing around in transit when they cross the stormy seas from China and then get smashed around by cargo handlers as they're distributed around the globe.

Publishers don't (and shouldn't) care about what happens after this. Fantasy Flight are a hard-nosed, money-making business (hey, just like any business) and need to make money somewhere. They need to slice the pie very fine these days, with manufacturing prices rising and allocation of budgets on licensing (lord of the rings etc), components (always zillions with FF), artwork (often the finest with FF), distribution, marketing etc, etc, etc...

You mention euro games having amazing inlays. Yes, especially publishers like Queen (german) but these are often packed full of the same, dour wooden cubes, as opposed to the unique sculpts you often get with an FF game. You need to consider the package as a whole.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even their very boxes are sometimes crappy. Blood Bowl: Team Manager has a box, where the both parts hold so tight, that I curse their designer(s) every time I open it.
The inlays are worthless, of course. As someone has pointed out before, just sleeve the cards and the inlay is a nuissance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Inlays are useless because 100% of people sleeve their cards anyway" *BGG logic*

I would call you people egocentric but that just wouldn't cut it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
"Inlays are useless because 100% of people sleeve their cards anyway" *BGG logic*

I would call you people egocentric but that just wouldn't cut it.


No it wouldn't. If you changed 100% to "quite a lot of people" and "egocentric" to "realistic observers", then that would cut it.

The rest of us just don't care much about the inserts. Even the best ones have the components fly about everywhere if you tip the game on the side.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Inserts are nice, but when I invest my money in a Fantasy Flight game I'm paying for their top-notch components. It's easy enough to organize them using Plano or baggies anyway.thumbsup
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I bought Adventurers Temple of Chac by AEG and there's an awesome insert in there with a spot for everything. Keeps everything nicely organized. I liked the game enough to buy the other one, Adventurers Pyramid of Horus and was so disappointed when I opened the game. Had I noticed the FFG logo in the box I would have known ahead of time, but yep - there it was, their useless cardboard insert. Putting to two game boxes next to each other, the AEG game looks so nice and the FFG version so cheap and pathetic. There's no difference in components or anything else to differentiate the two (not even price) yet AEG comes out way ahead in my book on this.

Maybe you guys (and I often times) simply toss inserts to Plano it all up, but most gamers don't do that. To me, the insert in FFG games shows more their ineptitude of packaging design than anything. I have a relative who works in MN as a packaging designer and I keep begging him to go over to FFG and show them how it's done.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the inlays have had very attractive art on it. I actually cut out and kept a few for that reason.

It depends on the game if I keep the inlay, but most of the time I end up removing it. I dont actually like inlays that discourage bagging up and sorting the game how I would like too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has no need for a good inlay, because nearly all of their games receive expansion sets anyway, and they won't fit into the base game box until you throw that paper inlay out.

I always stock zip lock bags at home and throw my inlets away. mb
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Avatar
What the... is this BGG? Am I still on the same website? The one with the OCD guys obsessing over boardgames?

How can you throw away the inserts? Do you guys just not care? Are you emotionless robots? Do you have the additional "throw insert away" cortex? It's part of the game! They put it in there for a reason! If you throw the insert away, the box is not complete anymore! Throw away the box, too, while you're at it!

I need my pills.

Seriously, I know the FFG inserts suck, but they belong into the box. They're part of the game. They need to be kept well and used carefully and oriented so they are rotated to align with the print on the box and you need to softly sing them to sleep.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Anyone knows whay they're so crappy? I'm talking about their inlay of course. I see a lot of euro games have such great boxes, with places for most if not all the components of the game, which saves you plano boxes. Is it a deliberate strategy of FFG to save money or what?

Depends on the game - I find Arkham Horror and its xpacs store ok in them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosch wrote:
What the... is this BGG? Am I still on the same website? The one with the OCD guys obsessing over boardgames?

What did you say? I was busy duct taping my box of Robo Rally…

Mosch wrote:
How can you throw away the inserts? Do you guys just not care? Are you emotionless robots?

Sorry, I didn't hear that, oops I think I see an insert over there! Go, guys!

……eexTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

…Sorry what was that again?

Mosch wrote:
It's part of the game! They put it in there for a reason!

They put it there for the stuff not to be damaged in transport. It's as little a part of the game as the box is. The box is there to keep the pieces in the same place. It does the job well. If the box doesn't do the job well, then away it goes. If the insert doesn't do its job well…

…EXTERMINATE
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I find with euro games the need for plano tends to be even greater regardless of the insert.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosch wrote:
What the... is this BGG? Am I still on the same website? The one with the OCD guys obsessing over boardgames?

How can you throw away the inserts? Do you guys just not care? Are you emotionless robots? Do you have the additional "throw insert away" cortex? It's part of the game! They put it in there for a reason! If you throw the insert away, the box is not complete anymore! Throw away the box, too, while you're at it!

I need my pills.

Seriously, I know the FFG inserts suck, but they belong into the box. They're part of the game. They need to be kept well and used carefully and oriented so they are rotated to align with the print on the box and you need to softly sing them to sleep.

I can barely cope with throwing away the cardboard frame for the punched bits. In fact, I usually hide those under the insert that I keep and often store the plano outside the box if it won't fit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not alone!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Avatar
Siouxfire wrote:
Mosch wrote:
What the... is this BGG? Am I still on the same website? The one with the OCD guys obsessing over boardgames?

How can you throw away the inserts? Do you guys just not care? Are you emotionless robots? Do you have the additional "throw insert away" cortex? It's part of the game! They put it in there for a reason! If you throw the insert away, the box is not complete anymore! Throw away the box, too, while you're at it!

I need my pills.

Seriously, I know the FFG inserts suck, but they belong into the box. They're part of the game. They need to be kept well and used carefully and oriented so they are rotated to align with the print on the box and you need to softly sing them to sleep.

I can barely cope with throwing away the cardboard frame for the punched bits. In fact, I usually hide those under the insert that I keep and often store the plano outside the box if it won't fit.


I would keep those if my girlfriend wouldn't make me throw those away. I even have a hard time getting rid of the stupid plastic the decks of cards are usually laminated in.

Luckily she has yet to take a look into my Tannhäuser boxes. Muahaha.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosch wrote:

I would keep those if my girlfriend wouldn't make me throw those away. I even have a hard time getting rid of the stupid plastic the decks of cards are usually laminated in.

Luckily she has yet to take a look into my Tannhäuser boxes. Muahaha.


I know what you hide in there. Since I don't have to see it I don't care, but at least the ones I play should be orderly.

The punch out frames are just so... entropic. If you want to keep them, at least put them in a designated box together(sorted by game title).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.