Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to Memoir '44, and am having a great time playing through the scenarios with my son, as well as playing solo (solo is far more enjoyable than I expected). So far, we/I have played about 8 of them, including 1 from the Eastern Front.

I've been wondering about the types of tactics that are required for attacking different terrain beyond the base game. For the most part, terrain seems fairly similar, typically -1 for infantry and -2 for tanks. Some require you to stop when entering or exiting them. Others allow you to ignore flags.

Is there any terrain type that requires you to be adjacent to a hex to attack it? Such as a deep bunker where you can't assault it unless you are on top of it?

Are there any types of terrain with special rules that really change up the tactics needed to play with them? Or terrain with rules that make them feel less similar than other terrain?

What about the Urban Combat rules for the Stalingrad Battle Map? Do they change up the Terrain rules any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Is there any terrain type that requires you to be adjacent to a hex to attack it? Such as a deep bunker where you can't assault it unless you are on top of it?

In some scenarios, units start the game camouflaged. Other units have to be adjacent to attack them. If the camouflaged unit moves, or attacks, it loses its camouflage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As mentioned by Scott, Camouflage protects units from all attacks except adjacent, until they move.

This is pretty much the terrain you are asking for.

Make you roll dice when you move onto them.

Allows Japs to teleport.

Allow you to battle when you move in if you started adjacent to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat rules have some effect on adjacent terrain situations, but primarily in town and city hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use reduced visibility rules introduced in the Pacific Theater expansion if it is dark enough you can only target adjacent hexes as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to get some of the expansions, and those elements you mentioned all sound interesting! Can't wait to play with them.

The reason I started thinking about "forced adjacency" rules for attacking was because I was reading some of the complaints in the M44 variants section where people were talking about the lack of battle-back rules, opportunity attacks, and flanking attacks/bonuses, among other things. And then I realized that most of these elements are in M44 after all, just abstracted. For example, a failed close assault can easily cause your unit to be destroyed on the next turn, meaning that close assaults are extremely risky by nature. Why do you need a battle-back rule if the unit you are attacking can battle-back within the game system itself? Or why special close combat bonuses when M44 gives you 3 attack dice plus possible taking ground and overruns? Or why opportunity attack rules when the opponent can play a card on you on his next turn after you've gone by? I wouldn't mind seeing an "Opportunity Attack" Command Card that works similar to an Ambush Card when an opponent moves by your unit, but for the most part, I don't think it's needed given that both sides have ways to attack each other when they need to. And finally, why would flanking and/or cross-fire bonuses be needed? Being surrounded by enemies in M44 is bad all by itself, not to mention what happens if you can surround an enemy unit and prevent retreat. Extra flanking rules are simply not needed; they are built into the game system itself.

Somehow, all this got me to wondering about the types of terrain that might bring out some of these tactical situations.

Sorry for getting so off topic. I'm rambling. Thanks for all the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Winter Wars expansion also does include a set of rules about Reduced Visibility, Winter Weather, etc. that do affect to the range of firing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almilcar wrote:
Hello,

Winter Wars expansion also does include a set of rules about Reduced Visibility, Winter Weather, etc. that do affect to the range of firing.

Yes! Reduced visibility:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
I was reading some of the complaints in the M44 variants section where people were talking about the lack of battle-back rules, opportunity attacks, and flanking attacks/bonuses, among other things. And then I realized that most of these elements are in M44 after all, just abstracted.

Yeah, I had the same thought. So, you can't battle back, which would theoretically put the defender at a disadvantage in the battle. However that same defender can battle on their next turn at full attack strength, even if their unit is not at full strength in terms of number of figures remaining. While this may be a result of just simplifying the rules, it also has the indirect result of addressing the battle back problem.

Also, I think the gully and wadi (Med Theater) require the attacker to be adjacent to the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.