United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this last week:

I am by no means a developer. This Android app was made using App Inventer from the folks at MIT Media Labs. It uses a language similar to Scratch, which is designed to teach kids the basics of programming while allowing them to create immediate tangibles like animations and games. UC Berkeley uses a version of Scratch in CS10, The Beauty and Joy of Computing, used to introduce non-majors to programming. Bottom line is App Inventor is surprisingly accessible, and after 10 minutes, half of which was installing software, I had an Android app running on my phone (not this dice roller, but a cat that meows when you pet it).

I made this app in my spare time after work. Half the time was spent finding and editing image and sound files. As for the programming, while maybe a bit too big for someone's first project, a dice roller still incredibly easy to program.

Did this take more than $5 of my time? Oh yes. But it was interesting, and now I have a fun app to roll dice so my opponent can use the real ones. If you or your child want to learn programming, I think this a great project to try, mostly because it's useful and you can customize it to your own liking.

Before people ask, I probably will not be releasing my app for IP reasons: I used image and sound files from Star Wars and FFG, and it would be directly competing with FFG's own app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm...

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Fantasy Flight Games."

That's just low. I hope to God this stops before FFG becomes the next Games Workshop. Supporting the fans that buy and promote your product is good business; biting the hands that feed you is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
msg tools
Well FFG does make a dice app for android and iPhone/iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
sheriff288 wrote:

That they want five bucks for - ha...

OP should just eliminate any specific references to X-Wing in the video and re-post. As long as it's just a generic dice rolling app, there's nothing FFG can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
msg tools
reitoei wrote:
sheriff288 wrote:

That they want five bucks for - ha...

Wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Terribly lame on the part of FFG. Both blocking it and also for charging *any* money for supplemental app like a dice roller, never mind $5.

Apps that are basically just board game accessories should be free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even then, my comment isn't about the app itself. If they want to bitch about the guy's app, that's one thing (whether or not I agree with it). But banning a YouTube video in which he's just showing off the cool thing he made? That's REALLY low.

It makes me reconsider my plan to buy into the game. People are starting to play in my area, but if we have to worry about C&D letters every time we post pics and tourney reports, or getting YouTube accounts locked for showing off custom terrain and scenarios, then we have legitimate cause for concern.

This hurts, coming from an avid FFG fan as myself, but I won't pay them to treat us like this. I don't pay Games Workshop; I don't pay MayDay; and between this and the crap they pulled over Flash Duel, FFG is bleeding close as well.

But that's just MY opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a lousy way to treat your fans, FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, shame on FFG on this one. You didn't even release it, just show a video. That's really low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorn Winter
msg tools
There is a completely free table top RPG system called Dimensions that DOES support its players and offers a free die rolling app from it's website along with all of the other rules and many supplements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.