Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Both the german rules and the english version are available on Bgg!
I hope you enjoy exploring the rules!

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82587/rules-english-eggert...

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82588/rules-german-

Greets,

Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chih-Hsien Wang
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi:

After reading the rule I found the Bidding part of the game seem unnecessary. Because there are too many items to bid, so people might not to bid same item, everyone just pays the minimum to get the item, or simply takes 3 mons. I mean there might not be enough conflict in the bidding area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Plancke
Belgium
Kortrijk
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Chih-Hsien Wang,

When making the game & during playtesting : I can tell you this, there is many interaction during the bidding, bluff and treats Not enough buildings for all players & everyone needs missions, players want extra discipels, ... making the bidding phase quite challenging.

greets

Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As Wolf told here higher: We never had the feeling that there's to much possibility's when we were testplaying. Money is limited, and resources ( buildings, desciples, .. too. So there's a lot of tactical options in the biddingsphase.

It's not bacause there are more options to bid on, that everyone wants a different thing. When you play with 2 or 3 there are only 3 categories, wich makes it a tiotal different experience than playing with 5.

There are ways to make opponents pay too much for what they get, you can force them to buy things they don't want, or you can be forced to do so,... prices can be to high,...

I'm sure, when you play the game you will see that the bidding phase is more than just a phase. It can determine a lot in the game...so bid wisely .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
I know you're a bit biased, but your diary didn't say a word about the 2 player configuration, the choice of the number of player, and the rule tweaks.

May be you can expand a liitle bit your thought about 2 player games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the diary i focussed on the adventure, more than on the actual gamemechanics. I thought it would be interesting for other people dreaming of having their own game. It s certainly not that i don t want to talk about the rest.

We really wanted to have a good 2 player game too. Cause a lot of people play at home with their partner,... So we didn t want to leave them in the cold with a bad 2 player adaptation.
We tried different changes to keep it interesting for two players. First we implemented that you could bid on two things every bidding phase. But later on we made 3 categories in wich you can choose one thing. Such descisions are made after tons of playtesting. We did test two player games as much as playing with more players cause we think it s important to give a good game to both groups.

The game plays differently when you play it with two than with five. If you're just two, you have more chance to do some harder missions. With more, it s a bit harder to do more than one black mission.

If you read the rules wich you can download on the yedo page, you will see that you have to cover spots on the map if you play with two. So you have to chose your spots wisely, just like you play with more. The things to bid on are in3 groups, there s less buildings and geisha s, ... I think there s a good balance in the game, no matter with how many you play. But of course people will have likes and dislikes because the game feels differently with 2 than with 5 and playtime depends of course on the player numbers too.

And there also the geisha and samurai version of rules. If you play for first time, geisha version is good. Cause samurai can hit you hard. Later on, when you know the backdoors of the game, samurai is challenging.

I hope this is a bit an answer on your questions? My ebglish is limited, so if i understand your question wrongly, please ask more question untill you re happy with the answer.

Greet,

Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the answer.

It seems that in a 2p game you will lose the trading part, at the tavern for example.
But the idea to make 3 categories to bid on is brilliant to keep tension with the auctions.

I'll give it a try if I can.
If I understand, there is only few text on the mission cards, but many on the action cards?
Since my wife doesn't understand english very well...may be a player aid for the action cards could solve the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean a translation of the action cards and bonus cards?
But wich language do you want it to be translated too? I can't see where you're from .

Anyway, it's like you said:

mission cards:
text is just the story, but you can understand what's expected with the icons. So not text dependent

action and bonucards: you'll need the text to understand what you have to
do.

If it's dutch or french I can help you translating. English and german are on the site. Other languages, we'll have to find people who can help us with it .

But still we hope that the game will be a succes and be translated to more languages. Dreaming is no a crime

greets,

RThomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
I'm French.
I don't know if there is many different action cards, may be there is only 10 or 20 different cards and this will make the game playable for non english speacker, even if you don't translate the fluff of the mission cards.

You still dream after your long story related in your diary, impressive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you stop dreaming you rather die

Anyway, as soon as I'm back from essen i will give the cards to a friend who will transate them in french. Or maybe others will be faster.

Anyway, all cards have a title. So once you know the actions by heart, you will know what to di with only reading the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
See you in Essen then, may be you can demonstrate the game in French
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the whole day, I can explain it in french.
But it might become a complete different game modest. My french is much more limited than my english! But will try! All for the good cause!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chih-Hsien Wang
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have several questions of this game ^o^
Currently it's my 2nd anticipated game for Essen 2012, under Robinson's Crusoe. (Robinson's solving leader problem mechanism is very attracting, and Archipelago/Terra Mystica seem to be too sophisticated, and Mayan Calendar's rule isn't clear yet)

1. How is the luck factor and game weight?
2. At 5 players I think mission cards might be not enough, it might be used out easily.And 2 players, 2 Annex? not 1? in 3,4,5 player-games, there are 2,3,4 annexes just number of players - 1. What is the ideal player number ?
3. In the prototype the round track seems larger than 11, is that changed so round is at most 11?
4. Is there any plan for expansion?
Edited:
5. The geisha version and samurai version, I don't see much of the difference. Removing cards might make the game easier, but in the game setup. 1 action card or 1 from 2 action cards isn't not that different, and no watchman in the last round I think it might only make the game slightly easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice questions .

1:

There always a luck factor in any game. But we tried to get the luckfactor down, by not having dice. By making a possibility to take 3 mission cards/ weapons/ actions and choose one ( bidding phase) or with foresight you can look into the top 3 cards and put them them back in the order you choose, so you can more or less choose wich cards you want to take. Of course this costs you an action with a disciple, so you can also just take a card and hope you're lucky . So we really tried to build in some mechanisms to rule out that only luck decides who wins.

2:

Mostly the green mission cards are gone after setting up the game if you play with five. But that spices up the game too. You are forced to look to the harder missions, and build your game up in order to do them.

There's not 1 annex because balance was lost, and some missions are impossible to do. If you play with two, there would only be 2 annexes possible for each. So missions with more buildings are impossible. If you play with 3 and there are 2 of each, you have almost 3 annexes for each ( and that's better for the balance). So it's a descision made after a lot of test playing. ( edited 02/10 )

There's no ideal number of players. It really depends on how you like to play. There's a big difference between playing with two and with five.
I'm sure there will be different opinions on who likes to play with 2 or with 5.
Other tactics have to be used...so I personally like any number of players because it challenges you to find new tactics. I don't like to play with five if there are two players who think 30 min before taking decisions, cause than it takes too long . But I love to play with five if everyone keeps up the speed of playing.

3:

Before we played different lengths. But that was because we knew the game so well, we played fast and it was possible to play more rounds. But as we tested with new people we decided that 11 rounds was more than enough. It took too long if you played more rounds and 11 was perfect to build the gameplay up to a climax. But if you play the game with people who know it well, or you like long games, you can decide to play more rounds in the beginning. No problem. It's a decision between you and your fellow players. There's more than enough black missions to keep you busy for some extra rounds.

4:

We have some things on the shelf. So far no descisions on producing them. We have extra missions cards ready too,... So if the game finds its way to the public, there can be expansions.

5:

The geisha and samurai version finds it's origin in playtests with new players. We liked a fierce and hard gameplay where you can be hit hard. But as we tested the game, some people disliked the fact that they were demolished in their first play. So we made some small changes so it's a little more layed back if you play geisha first.

The choice of action cards in samurai, is because if you know the game, you know what to choose. If you play at first , you can't decide on the weight of the actioncard in your hands, so it's better if the game decides for you.

The fierce eventcards are taken out, so people don't loose half of what they builded up. It's not easy to build your clan empire...so if you loose a building and a weapon, or geisha,s... it hits you pretty hard.
So geisha version helps you here that it's not too fierce.

And the watch patrol in the last turn is for similar reasons. People buld up to do a black mission. And it's hard to do so in 11 turns ( esspecially if you play with 5 ). So they have everything ready for the climax, ...preforming their black mission !!!... But the guard is there to destroytheir carefully planned action. For some players, being destroyed in the last turn is such a big desillusion, that they never want to play again .
So it seams small adjustments, but it's actually pretty big difference.

But if you like a fierce game, you can change on the samurai version quickly and you'll feel the difference.

I hope I answered all your questions. If you have more questions, you know where to find me .

Greets,

Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Graham
United States
Carmichael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these rules look great. It looks like a medium deep game, but the depth seems to be mostly in the sheer number of options available. I really liked the summary grid at the end. And it seems like the theme would shine through more than it would with similar games, like Lords of Waterdeep. It also seems a bit harsher and more gritty (but not in a bad way!) in ninja mode than similar games.

I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, happy to hear that people like it! And the grid at the end is the idea of viktor from Eggertspiele and he made the rulebook too!
We like the work he did a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.