Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought Sentinels of the Multiverse at a local gaming shop. We had so much fun with it, we looked it up online just in time to read about the enhanced edition shipping just 2 weeks later! Far from having buyer's remorse, a friend purchased my copy from me and I quickly ordered the new edition.

Having just opened my copy of the enhanced edition along with the newest expansion, I was eager to see the new upgrades in person.

In the old edition, the box is oddly shaped, the lid was a bad fit, and you had no option but to cram it with cards willy nilly. Even then it would have no room left for any expansions. If you don't want rubber band marks on your cards, they would slide around and have to be separated before each game.

The new box is in the style of many modern card games such as Dominion or Nightfall. A larger, deeper, and sturdier oblong box with improved box art. Two storage rows with a central divider. Full color illustrated card dividers are provided for every hero, environment, and villain available, including both current expansions and mini-expansions.

The cards feel much sturdier than the previous edition. Holding one up to the old cards shows the difference in thickness.

All of the environment cards have been redone with unique art, as well as rule and balance changes.

The hero decks contain some new art, as well as errata. Some of the distributions have changed, with more or less copies of certain cards to balance the decks.

The villains have also been touched up, with some new art, errata, and the adding of the important "H" rule, allowing them to better scale with the number of players. I was pleased to see Omnitron had many of his drones tuned up in difficulty!

Finally you get four sheets of counters. Colorful HP counters in 1, 5, 10, and 25 denominations, as well as a slew of oblong status counters. These are a welcome addition, allowing you to track your bonuses and penalties in a game where you often have many effects in play.

The rule book is also improved. It's now the "comic book" size of the expansion rules, and is much better organized. It's like the designers heard my cries when I read the first edition rules. "What happens if the highest HP should take damage, but we tie for highest HP? Why are these character bios mixed into the rules, they should have been separated." There are large anatomy examples of the cards, a component list, a handy complexity/difficulty charts for the heroes/villains, and an expanded glossary.

Overall I am wowed. The folks at greatern/than/games really put some thought in to this box and each and every component. We can't get enough Sentinels at our game night, and eagerly anticipate more expansions to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. Where did you order from? I per-ordered from CSI and am still waiting for them to get it in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre ordered directly from greater/than/games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scuzball wrote:
The new box is in the style of many modern card games such as Dominion or Nightfall. A larger, deeper, and sturdier oblong box with improved box art. Two storage rows with a central divider. Full color illustrated card dividers are provided for every hero, environment, and villain available, including both current expansions and mini-expansions.

I wish Dominion had a box like this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW TIBLIER
msg tools
mb
I'm in the same boat...waiting on CSI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it playable two player game now ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MacTele wrote:

Well, the rulebook says: "Two experienced players can play Sentinels of the Multiverse if one or both of them play as two heroes each."

So... yes and no. It sounds like two-hero games are very difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's because while flexible, the H rule can't work for 2 heroes so well. Lots of H-1 or H-2 wouldn't really give the best experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also down to the spread of abilities. With 4 heroes you're likely to have some balance: damage dealers of various types, a buffer or blocker, someone who can handle villain ongoing cards, someone who can hit multiple targets, someone who can take care of environment cards etc. In a two hero game it's much harder to cover all the bases, and you can much more easily find yourself in a position where the villain becomes unmanageable. Even using a flipped hero each as sidekicks doesn't really help much, as they don't increase the spread of abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
Still not for me game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reeve
United States
Shrewsbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MacTele wrote:

My favorite way to play is with two players, each of whom controls two heroes. It's a little clunky, since you juggle two sets of cards and layouts in front of you, but I really like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
tumorous wrote:
MacTele wrote:

Well, the rulebook says: "Two experienced players can play Sentinels of the Multiverse if one or both of them play as two heroes each."

So... yes and no. It sounds like two-hero games are very difficult.

I must have missed that part in the rulebook. I didn't know you had to play with two heroes in a two player game. I really should re-read it again and more carefully.

I recently got my copy the other day and played it for the first time with my friend and we just used one hero each. Game worked fine. We played another game and were fine.

I think because of the H mechanic, it's not as hard with two players with one hero each. Of course, it still depends on what heroes you two play. Since it was our first time, we were just randomly picking everything.

The game does feel a lot different with more players though as we found out when the other guys show up. Then, it feels like a superhero team instead of a team-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deusface wrote:
I recently got my copy the other day and played it for the first time with my friend and we just used one hero each. Game worked fine. We played another game and were fine.

That's good news. I'll mostly be playing with two, and I'd prefer to just have one each...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
tumorous wrote:

That's good news. I'll mostly be playing with two, and I'd prefer to just have one each...

I feel the need to update my previous saying. So I played with another friend and we got our asses handed to us. Then we played two characters each and actually won a game or two.

I think you can play a two player game with just one hero each, but you're going to have to choose your characters carefully. One should be the support and the other the heavy hitter. You can't use any of the set up guys like Unity or Bunker because they take too long to get ready and be useful.

I didn't want to have to play two heroes but it wasn't that bad. It's not like there are any cards you can play on other turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.