Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
So in post-war America, hardwoods & rugs continued to be the standard in flooring. Then in the 60's people decided that wall-to-wall carpeting was more "luxurious" and it prospered thru the 80's. Then in the 90's the pendulum swung back to hardwoods, and laminates, and various "natural" floorings. And now judging by the Lowes commercials, home-improvement stores have sold all of the Pergo they can possibly sell & now would like you to believe that wall-to-wall carpeting is "cool" again. Are you buying it?

Poll
What say you on the subject of The Wall-To-Wall Strikes Back?
Hardwoods forever! Never shall I be suckered into wall-to-wall carpeting again!
I toss off the shackles of hardwoods and embrace my new wall-to-wall carpeting overlords!
      87 answers
Poll created by fightcitymayor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one thing I like about carpeting, it soaks up the dust and keeps it out of computers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I want wood myself, as long as the people living one floor up use carpeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
There is one thing I like about carpeting, it soaks up the dust and keeps it out of computers.

You are *quite* mistaken - it HOARDS dust, and so makes computers MUCH dustier. Specifically, the very fine stuff.

If you've got a computer sitting on the floor, you do *miles* better on a hard surface with dust filters on the fans vs carpet flooring. Just...orders of magnitude difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I love my hardwood floors, and wouldn't change back for nothing. BUT it does have a downside...It kills my feet. The older I get the worse it gets. I've had to resort to old man slippers walking around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

I wouldn't bet on that. The thing they don't tell you is, computers suck. Big time. Seriously. My mini-tower sucks something like 100 cubic feet a minute, and the dust it intakes tends to get left inside, due to eddies in the airflow around components, cables, and heat sinks. It's a good idea to clean the inside of your computer regularly to remove dust and keep it cooling properly and quietly.

That said, carpets are sound absorbing, insulating, and shock absorbing; and they can be stained, burned, and snagged. I'm not there now, but my goal is to have hard floors with area rugs I can change by mood, beat the dust out of (outside), take to be dry cleaned, or replace without it being a major expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I imagine that my cats would be much more frustrated tearing up and down our three-story rowhouse if the floors weren't carpeted. So, a vote for wall-to-wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
I imagine that my cats would be much more frustrated tearing up and down our three-story rowhouse if the floors weren't carpeted. So, a vote for wall-to-wall.

But you'd have a lot more fun. Cats never seem to lose the conviction that their claws can grab any surface.

A friend's cat was racing around our deck from sheer playfulness when he went off the edge, fell about ten feet, and splashed.

Into the ocean, fortunately. That was one dejected cat. Not just wet, but cold, smelly, and salty as well. Didn't even catch a fish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
carpets... can be stained, burned, and snagged.

What? ...What are you doing to that carpet? (My parents had renters like you. Man were they pissed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm drunk I like to lie on my back on a nice deep pile carpet and rub my back all around the floor. It feels looooovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
We gave up the carpet both upstairs and downstairs about a dozen years ago. When we added a two-story addition to our house, we had narrow 3/4" red oak hardwood installed to match the rest of the house and then refinished all the floors in the house. Don't go to the carpet-dark-side.

Wood good!
Wood good!
Wood good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've lived in houses with hardwood and with wall-to-wall carpet. I've got to say, I don't have a super-strong preference one way or the other. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Carpet is comfy on the feet. Wood not so much, but it has a very nice look and you can dress it up with rugs however you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Down in San Antonio, with the southwesterny looks, the house we're renting has 18" tiles on the main floor...

...clearly it's not carpet, but I guess I was wondering - is this a subset of the wood crowd (as it's a hard floor covering), or does tile have its own separate entry in here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
jeffreyac wrote:
Down in San Antonio, with the southwesterny looks, the house we're renting has 18" tiles on the main floor...

...clearly it's not carpet, but I guess I was wondering - is this a subset of the wood crowd (as it's a hard floor covering), or does tile have its own separate entry in here?
You may file this under hardwoods.

Dave wrote:
Oh, one of life's greatest joys is watching cats attempt to Fred Flintstone run-in-place on hardwood floors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I love my hardwood floors, and wouldn't change back for nothing. BUT it does have a downside...It kills my feet. The older I get the worse it gets. I've had to resort to old man slippers walking around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:

+1
Down here in Arizona I can't imagine wall-to-wall carpet. We have way too much dust. Tile is the way to go. (Though we do have carpet in the bedrooms).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadpirate wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
carpets... can be stained, burned, and snagged.

What? ...What are you doing to that carpet? (My parents had renters like you. Man were they pissed).

I own or it wouldn't be an issue. Cleaner got accidentally dumped on one spot. A spot near the kitchen got some hot chocolate, which I didn't notice fast enough. I had a cringe-worthy accident which resulted in several blood stains. Etc.

Over the years, it adds up, and so does the wear, at least in places. If they were throw rugs, I could take them to be dry cleaned or replace them. Wall-to-wall and really old enough I ought to replace, what to do? And they're original, so it goes into closets and there's nothing under it but plywood and concrete slab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you have allergies and/or pets, carpeting it just silly. the amount of dust, hair, pollen, dander, etc that collects is atrocious. Hardwood/tile/anything-but-carpet is so much better in that regard. Also easier to clean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You do realize they are not mutually exclusive?

We have carpeting in the bedrooms and living room, wood in the halls, kitchen and dining room and vinyl (ugh) in the baths and laundry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamedog wrote:
You do realize they are not mutually exclusive?
Crazy talk. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently my pc guy friend has misinformed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I think wall-to-wall carpeting was a conspiracy betwixt carpet manufacturers, carpet layers and carpet cleaners. And probably home builders too, since carpeting is cheaper than hard flooring.
I only say that half-jokingly.

Put me in the ceramic tile category.

The g/f, back in '83, did look good on the carpet though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jello
msg tools
tile in kitchen, bathrooms, laundry
carpet in bedrooms (i absolutely hate it but my DH likes it)
Pergo in rest of house

overall i really like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have your own designated hitter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My wife sneaked up behind me while I was working in the garden. I was so startled I soiled myself.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Instead of slippers, we have an "area rug" -- one of those 6' ovals. The blue-ish one I have is one I inherited (literally) from my mom. It's got a tight enough weave that it can be lightly swept, which reduces the amount of vacuuming it needs.

However, I still have some old-man slippers for winter....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.