Popular Tags: [View All]
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!
I am moving to the Philly Region (Wallingford in Delaware county) in a couple days, but where oh where do I get my board gaming fix? Here is what I’ve found from combing the board (and the one thread with links to all the other threads), so correct me if there is anything I’m missing and any feedback is welcome:

FLGS:
-Showcase Comics. In Granite Run Mall, which is nearby, so that is good (also a Bryn Mawr location, but this one is closer). I actually got to visit this, and saw it has a selection of games, but definitely seemed more about miniatures. No dedicated board game night and the person in charge did not want to make a dedicated night, but said if people came they could game there.

-Recaps Corner. A bit in the city, so I don’t know how the traffic is to get there from the blue route (I’m getting the lingo down!). They have Tuesday night boardgame night, does anyone have experience with that and how many people show up?

-7th Dimension Games. It looks out of my way, so it seems unlikely. They do have open boardgaming on Saturdays.

-Games Keep. It is in West Chester, but it isn’t too bad for me to get to (at least it seems so). They have open boardgaming on Friday, and host a couple of groups once a month apparently.

-Brave New Worlds. Two locations, one in Willow Grove, but that is too far from me. The other is in downtown Philly, which again may be too much for me. Didn’t see a dedicated board game night on the website.

-Alternative Universes. Three locations, one in Holmes, which is relatively nearby (is it a seedy area? Because McDade Blvd goes through some seedy areas), one in Blue Bell, which is a bit too out of the way for me, and one in Delaware, which has no sales tax (and actually is probably closer than Blue Bell). EPGS members get 10% off. The Holmes location has Boardgaming on Monday.

-The Compleat Strategist. It is in King of Prussia, is that a trafficky pain to get to via the Blue Route? Does the mall sort of swamp everything there? I couldn’t see if they had boardgaming on the website.

Gaming Groups:
There is the EPGS (Eastern Pennsylvania Gaming Society) which charges $50 a year (with perks and all). They meet twice a month at the Oxford Valley mall, but that is quite a hike from where I am.

Also, the GCOM (games club of Maryland) oddly enough seems to operate up there. I have to dig through their website to figure it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lansdale Gamers meets at various locations within a half hour of Lansdale, but they're probably all too far from your location.

Hatfield Gamers is another game group in the northern suburbs, but probably also out of your range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Lansdale Gamers meets at various locations within a half hour of Lansdale, but they're probably all too far from your location.

Hatfield Gamers is another game group in the northern suburbs, but probably also out of your range.

As Flying Arrow mentioned, there is a Hatfield group that meets 2 to 3 times a month on Sat. Evenings. The home we meet in is a couple of miles off the NE extension (476), so I don't know if that would help at all or not. I'd guess we're a bit far too from Delaware County...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only been to the Showcase Comics in Bryn Mawr, but it sounds exactly like the one you've described at the mall. It has an OK selection, maybe an OOP here and there (since mostly miniatures players and comic book fans frequent the store), but that's it.

Redcaps has a new facility that I've not been to yet.

7th Dimension is a store I go to from time to time. Glenn is very nice and might even pop in here.

Games Keep is my favorite store. It is a hike to get all the way up to West Chester, but completely worth it. Karl is great - he's actually helping me to put together a 12 hour open gaming marathon on October 20 that is going to benefit the Children's Miracle Network.

I will shamelessly plug the charity event here.

But, back on point - the Games Keep is fantastic - lots of gaming space, BEST selection of any store in the Philadelphia Area, with prices that are actually lower than MSRP - the only store on this list that does this (aside from discount tables). He is also having an auction next month - let me know if you would like the info.

I have only been to the Brave New Worlds downtown, and that was awhile ago. But if memory serves it was a comic book store that also sold some board games.

The Alternate Universes location in Blue Bell is a tad on the small side, and so is their board game selection. They seemed focused on CCGs.

The Compleat Strategist is not my favorite. Selection is pretty good, and they get new games in every Wednesday. The staff is (at times) completely apathetic, and (most of the time) less knowledgeable about games than I am. HOWEVER, they do have a big selection of wargames, RPGs, and a fair selection of minis. They also have open gaming on Tuesday if I'm not mistaken. Traffic is not too bad - it isn't super close to the mall...but it can get bad during rush hour.

There is also All Things Fun. It is not super close - it is about half an hour over the bridge in New Jersey. I've been there once, on the way down the shore, and it was very nice with a good selection. They have open gaming on Wednesday nights, but seem more focused on comics, CCGs, and Heroclix.

As far as groups go, there are also the Philadelphia Area Gamers (First Saturday and third Thursday of the month) and Seize Your Turn (Third Saturday of the month) groups.

There is also a group that meets at UPenn on Wednesday nights that welcomes non-faculty and non-students. I'll have to dig up the info on that group if you would like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knauer
United States
Norristown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm involved in two gaming groups that meet NW of the city. Our meeting in Paoli may not be too far for you.

Check out:
Philadelphia Area Gamers (Paoli & King of Prussia)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/463
Seize Your Turn (Collegeville)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1012
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're practically neighbors! Here are a few quick comments on shops/groups etc.

Alternate Universes is close, but is not really a board game store. You could find some FFG games there, but not much else other than Magic and miniature games.

Showcase Comics has a decent selection of games, and is also fairly close.

Games Keep is hands-down your best bet. It's not that far and he has an amazing selection and is very knowledgable about the games.

I've been to one Seize Your Turn event. It was fine, just a bit too far for me and the timing of the events doesn't work.

Welcome to the area!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kulp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I go to the groups Mike posted.

Redcaps - They have a wide variety of gaming on Tuesdays and the rest of the week. There are a lot of people who come so finding people to play with will not be a problem. Also game designers go there and show off new games.

There are two Meetup groups:

Philadelphia Game Experiment (Redcaps)
http://www.meetup.com/Philadelphia-Game-Experiment/

and

Philadelphia Traditional Games Group
http://www.meetup.com/Philadelphia-Traditional-Games-Group/

As for The Compleat Strategist, the few times I have seen gaming there it has been war gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Boardgaming at The Games Keep is every Friday night and 2nd & 4th Saturdays all day (typically highest attendance is between 1pm - 7pm).

2nd Saturday each month is an extension of EPGS (since they meet about an hour from West Chester and have some members down this way) and 4th Saturday is an extention of GCOM (who has 40 some-odd locations that meet at stores, churches, homes and schools weekly to monthly all around MD, DE, PA and VA). You don't have to be members of either EPGS or GCOM to attend these Saturday gaming events, it's just a way for those clubs to introduce themselves if one is interested in hooking up with them.

And since Jim already plugged the charity event on 10/20, I'll plug the Used Boardgame Auction on 10/13. Just got the info posted up the other day.

I think everyone covered all the groups that I'm aware of in the greater Philly area. I know a lot of members from GCOM, EPGS, Seize Your Turn, Hatfield Boardgamers and Philly Area Gamers that all speak highly of their groups (and many of them attend multiple clubs) so they're probably all worth checking out once you settle in. You shouldn't have any trouble finding gamers in this area that share your gaming tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I heard that 'the Compleat Strategist' shutdown?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
EPGS' Oxford Valley meet up is a bit of a drive for you, but on the plus side the room is available during mall hours, (extended holiday hours as well), so it's an all day event from 10am-9pm. Not just a few hours at night. First and Third Saturdays every month. Hope you can make it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback, I am so looking forward to being there (it seems like a fun active area). The driving a moving van through West Virginia....not as looking forward to. Thumbs up for everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm finally (somewhat) settled in and I think I'm gonna start with Games Keep boardgaming night tomorrow (Friday) night. When does it start? Do a lot of people show up? Should I dig through my house full of boxes to find some games to bring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:
Ok, I'm finally (somewhat) settled in and I think I'm gonna start with Games Keep boardgaming night tomorrow (Friday) night. When does it start? Do a lot of people show up? Should I dig through my house full of boxes to find some games to bring?

Starts around 6ish as people arrive after work and goes until Karl closes up shop.

You can bring whatever you like, but Karl has plenty of copies of demo games, and the other people there will have games as well.

I won't be there tomorrow, but I will be there Saturday afternoon/evening.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've got a game library of around 200 games (everything from Puerto Rico, Settlers, Carcassonne, Caylus, The Village, Belfort, various Ticket to Rides to most of the Looney Labs games).

People bring all kinds of stuff depending on who's here, so at least for your first time out you shouldn't have to bring much unless there's something you really want to play.

Just FYI, big favorites that see a lot of play are Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, San Juan, Belfort, Kingsburg, Alien Frontiers and some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

See you when you make it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever find yourself in Newark, DE, check out Days of Knights on Main Street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever find yourself heading out in the direction of Lancaster, you should check out the OLGS www.gamesurplus.com. They have excellent prices for new games, perhaps not the very lowest (with shipping included), but they offer local pick up from their location in Lititz. With free local pick up, I doubt you will ever find a lower price for most games. Of course, you have to be going through the area to make it worthwhile. For what it's worth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.