Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am rolling to set up a chain of airports in Africa, all of which require a red or black roll, and I roll a skull on my first roll, and a skull on my second, and a skull on the third, but nothing on the fourth and am successful in placing the four airports, do the three breakdown tokens stay with me into my next turn? Does this then mean that on my next turn when I try to make another roll for a red route and I get a skull, now giving me four tokens, I am done and my attempt failed, even if the other two rolls are sixes? Is the only way to get rid of breakdown tiles the mechanic tiles? I'm just a little unclear about them, and need some clarification. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes. You hold the three engine breakdown counters. They represent bad maintenance practices, engine problems, and so on at the airline itself. Until you get rid of them by straightening out your mechanics and getting a maintenance counter, you are stuck with them. Or, alternatively, you could get a fourth breakdown counter and lose an airport opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help! That's what I thought but, as usual, the rulebook could be a little more clear on a few points. Don't even get me started on the flip the plane and put unused capacity tokens on them which don't count against profitability losses, but are magically still there if you need them, though the plane that did deliver all its passengers is somehow retired/antiquated etc. (Sigh). I tried to explain to my wife that once a plane is full up with passengers, it has established a permamnent "route" and is not gone, but just doing that route over and over which is what gives you the prestige. Kink of makes sense that way in a Brass kind of way maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've basically got it right, though; part of what plane cards represent are airline capacity. You've got the initial capital expense of purchasing the fleet, then using part of them for current demand, and mothballing the rest until demand picks up (or buying the long distance tech in anticipation of demand, or whatever). When explaining the game, I try hard to make the "plane" abstract (it's a tech advancement, and a capacity advancement, and it's an increase in fleet, presence and prestige that allows you to either establish in a location or muscle someone's older tech out of an airport).

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BillJ1967 wrote:
Yes. You hold the three engine breakdown counters. They represent bad maintenance practices, engine problems, and so on at the airline itself. Until you get rid of them by straightening out your mechanics and getting a maintenance counter, you are stuck with them. Or, alternatively, you could get a fourth breakdown counter and lose an airport opportunity.

Just occurred to me reading this - so what is to prevent one from plopping another airport right after obtaining that forth engine token? Since you are allowed to plop as many airports as you "can" from your plane cards, can you keep plopping until you roll another skull or run out of valid airports? Can you reuse the same airport that generated the 4th skull on another attempt or even on a different city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem. You are losing the Airport tile you attempted to place, and your turn is over.
What was your question again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules are pretty well-written in this case, with only one slight exception. I think they could have done the end-of-era stuff a bit better. For example, regarding the flipping of planes (and other stuff) at the end of an era, I find it easiest to teach/manage this as follows:
1. For every plane with empty capacity, place those little gray chits (let's call them "capacity chits") on the plane.
2. For each player, profit = (sum of all passenger tile numbers) - (sum of all capacity chits); award VP accordingly
3. Players place all their passengers, as well as their full planes, into their score pile. The remaining planes (the ones with any chits still on them) are flipped over, placing the capacity chits and any unused airport tiles on the card backs. Note that the backs of the extended-range planes are so marked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.