Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(1.3.5) is clear that Foreign countries don't activate as spaces until an appropriate Event occurs. The following Example then notes they are spaces for all purposes, except Sweep.

So just to clarify, once a specific Foreign country is activated by Event, the Gov't can then perform an Airstrike in that Foreign country or the Cartels can then Cultivate to move a Base into that Foreign country (say Ecuador, as long as the 2 piece limit is not exceeded)?

If the Cartels have a Guerrilla and a Base (via Event) in a now active Ecuador, could they place 2 Shipments there (under the Guerrilla) via Process?

Could the Colombian Government even do an Airlift w/3 Troops and then an Assault in an already activated Foreign country?

Maybe we were overthinking Foreign countries today, so just seeking a clarification (thnx) as I'm not quite sure how exactly they fit into gameplay.

(BTW, there's a typo on page 15; for the "Foreign Country" Key Term as the rules reference printed is 1.3.2, but it s/b 1.3.5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve!

Steve Carey wrote:
(1.3.5) is clear that Foreign countries don't activate as spaces until an appropriate Event occurs. The following Example then notes they are spaces for all purposes, except Sweep.

So just to clarify, once a specific Foreign country is activated by Event, the Gov't can then perform an Airstrike in that Foreign country or the Cartels can then Cultivate to move a Base into that Foreign country (say Ecuador, as long as the 2 piece limit is not exceeded)?

Air Strike yes. Cultivate no, because the Foreign Countries count as 0 Pop (by event text).

Steve Carey wrote:
If the Cartels have a Guerrilla and a Base (via Event) in a now active Ecuador, could they place 2 Shipments there (under the Guerrilla) via Process?

Yes.

Steve Carey wrote:
Could the Colombian Government even do an Airlift w/3 Troops and then an Assault in an already activated Foreign country?

Or Sweep in from an adjacent space, yes. The limit in Ecuador would be 2 Troops, however (event text again).

Steve Carey wrote:
Maybe we were overthinking Foreign countries today, so just seeking a clarification (thnx) as I'm not quite sure how exactly they fit into gameplay.

They open up a new area for the executing faction away from the beaten track, but not immune.

The Colombians famously violated Ecuadoran sovereignty to strike FARC there. The part of Panama depicted is an overgrown nature preserve, and Government action there would represent either a similar violation or, more likely, joint operations with the Panamanians who did not have the firepower to go after intruders there on their own.

A Distant Plain, in contrast to AA, will feature a more resistant insurgent sanctuary: Pakistan harboring the Taliban.

Steve Carey wrote:
(BTW, there's a typo on page 15; for the "Foreign Country" Key Term as the rules reference printed is 1.3.2, but it s/b 1.3.5)

Thanks, I'll add it to the errata. Best, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnx for the answers, and also for the history - I had no idea that the Colombian conflict would prove so interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Steve Carey wrote:

Or Sweep in from an adjacent space, yes. The limit in Ecuador would be 2 Troops, however (event text again).

How can the Government assault since the sweep does not activate the guerrillas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakjck wrote:
Quote:
Steve Carey wrote:

How can the Government assault since the sweep does not activate the guerrillas?

I don't recall the rules saying that the Government can't do an assault in a space that would not produce the removal of a guerrilla (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that). It would be a stupid waste of 3 resources though.

I think you are really asking how the gov. could assault to get rid of guerrillas in a space where you can't sweep them into the open. The answer is events that might expose them or waiting for them to do something to expose themselves (like Attack, Extort, etc).

BTW...I can think of a very good reason why you would want to waste 3 resources Assaulting a space you know would not result in anything. If you are playing against a non-player FARC & you want to knock your resources down below the FARC's to ensure that they do an Attack rather than an Terror Operation. I've not done this yet...but the thought just occurred to me while writing this response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be an Insurgent Base or two in Panama that is not covered by any Guerrillas (perhaps because it was just placed or because another Insurgent Attacked the Guerrillas there). Or Guerrillas there may have become Active by Extorting, or forced to Activate by "Narco-War", "Ayahuasca Tourism", a Bribe, etc. vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But, if the FARC or AUC (Cartel not included because of the Eradicate specital activity) want bases absolutely safe from government attack, all they have to do is create them in Panama or Ecuador (once the appropriate card is played, and keep one underground guerilla there. That way, only other insurgents can touch them, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Vasquez
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
100% Pure Colombian Geek
badge
Colombia is waiting for you, would you take the risk? (Video in my profile)
mbmbmbmbmb
dakjck wrote:
But, if the FARC or AUC (Cartel not included because of the Eradicate specital activity) want bases absolutely safe from government attack, all they have to do is create them in Panama or Ecuador (once the appropriate card is played, and keep one underground guerilla there. That way, only other insurgents can touch them, correct?

If my understanding is correct the government could just sweep there activate that guerrilla and then assault it. (And why not air strike to end the remaining base )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the card, sweeps do not activate guerrillas (Panama only). Airstrikes can only hit active guerrillas and bases can only be hit last. Therefore, since the sweep does not activate the guerrilla in Panama, the airstrike cannot hit the guerrilla to get it out of the way so the airstrike can hit the base. As a result, all the Government can do in Panama is beat the bushes to no avail. Ecuador is a different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Sarnacki
Poland
Wyszków
Mazowsze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, what kind of terrain is in Ecuador Dept ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's neither Mountain nor Forest, so, by default, equivalent to Grassland. (This represents not so much the actual physical terrain but rather the need to keep a low profile inside Ecuador meaning staying within a narrow strip along the border, not enough room to take advantage of foliage or relief to hide in or defend). vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.