Subject: Danish Straits and off shore bombardment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William La Sala
United States
Flushing
NY
flag msg tools
Subs of any nationality can go through the Strait of Gibralter no matter who controls Gibralter. Does the same hold true for the Danish
Straits no matter who controls Denmark? I would think so.

Also, a Soviet transport does an amphib. assault on Norway off the north coast. Can the Soviet cruiser off the south coast participate in the amphib. assault by doing an off shore bombardment even though it's not in the same sea zone as the transport? I say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaiser wilhelm iv wrote:
Subs of any nationality can go through the Strait of Gibralter no matter who controls Gibralter. Does the same hold true for the Danish Straits no matter who controls Denmark? I would think so.

No. Subs on the opposite side from the power controlling the Danish Straits may not pass through, and subs belonging to neutral powers must gain permission to pass through. This is a matter of geography. While the Strait of Gibraltar is fairly wide and deep, allowing some submarines to sneak through, the Danish Straits are shallow and were heavily mined.

kaiser wilhelm iv wrote:
Also, a Soviet transport does an amphib. assault on Norway off the north coast. Can the Soviet cruiser off the south coast participate in the amphib. assault by doing an off shore bombardment even though it's not in the same sea zone as the transport? I say no.

You're right. A ship must be in a sea zone from which at least one land unit offloaded for the amphibious assault (and no sea combat occurred) in order to bombard. Also, the total number of ships that can bombard is limited to the total number of land units that offloaded, regardless of which of those sea zone(s) the offloading transports and bombarding ships occupy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William La Sala
United States
Flushing
NY
flag msg tools
Thanks Krieghund, especially for the geographical/strategic explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What's more, is that the A&AE40.2 Rulebook pg 9 states that the only exception to this rule is subs moving through the Strait of Gibraltar. The Danish Straits are not mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.