The Resistance» Forums » News

Subject: Online version of The Resistance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey all!

Just wanted to let you know about a simple version of this game that I made (using slightly different terminology, but with essentially the same dynamics) and open-sourced. You can download it here:
https://github.com/jamalex/david-is-a-good-person

Or play a round (or 7) here:
http://eslgenie.com:2020/

Let me know what you think! The interface could be improved, but it's totally playable! (We've had some fun rounds already, combined with a Google+ Hangout).

Cheers,
Jamie.

Edit: See below for details, but the codebase is now located at:
https://github.com/jamalex/the-resistance
(and the terminology now matches that of the actual game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Goodwin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Any chance there will be mobile comparability in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Also would love a mobile CSS for this.

Also you should call this The Resistance, since that's what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jamalex wrote:
Hey all!

Just wanted to let you know about a simple version of this game that I made (using slightly different terminology, but with essentially the same dynamics) and open-sourced. You can download it here:
https://github.com/jamalex/david-is-a-good-person

Or play a round (or 7) here:

Let me know what you think! The interface could be improved, but it's totally playable! (We've had some fun rounds already, combined with a Google+ Hangout).

Cheers,
Jamie.

Qouted for prosperity in the event that legal action is taken.

It is a disservice to copy a game, without even crediting the original. Especially when you reference the original in trying to promote it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
I'd have been happy to call it The Resistance, and in no way to I want to step on anybody's toes, I just wanted to have a way to play with people remotely (I spent time over the summer with a group where we played this constantly, but am no longer living in the same city). I bought a copy of the game for myself as well, and definitely want to support the game developers. The reason I changed the name and wording was specifically to avoid legal issues, as my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this) is that rules cannot be copyrighted, only the specific literary expression and artwork. But I can appreciate that there are informal courtesies/customs that I may have transgressed, and I apologize. I'm new to the community.

I'm happy to add whatever type of attribution/renaming you would prefer, or could even take it down if you really wanted me to (or we could at least unlink it from here if you want). Sorry if I caused any problems; again, this was just a weekend project motivated by wanting to play with remote friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jamalex wrote:
I'd have been happy to call it The Resistance, and in no way to I want to step on anybody's toes, I just wanted to have a way to play with people remotely (I spent time over the summer with a group where we played this constantly, but am no longer living in the same city). I bought a copy of the game for myself as well, and definitely want to support the game developers. The reason I changed the name and wording was specifically to avoid legal issues, as my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this) is that rules cannot be copyrighted, only the specific literary expression and artwork. But I can appreciate that there are informal courtesies/customs that I may have transgressed, and I apologize. I'm new to the community.

I'm happy to add whatever type of attribution/renaming you would prefer, or could even take it down if you really wanted me to (or we could at least unlink it from here if you want). Sorry if I caused any problems; again, this was just a weekend project motivated by wanting to play with remote friends.

Thanks for the response, and I suspected that you meant no disservice.

I would appreciate it if you did call it "The Resistance" and "Designed by Don Eskridge". My general sense is that "fan created" implementations are fine so long as they are 1) Free and 2) removed if conflicting with a fee based service. This is similar to the appraoch that RGG has taken with Dominion.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
T Worthington wrote:

Thanks for the response, and I suspected that you meant no disservice.

I would appreciate it if you did call it "The Resistance" and "Designed by Don Eskridge". My general sense is that "fan created" implementations are fine so long as they are 1) Free and 2) removed if conflicting with a fee based service. This is similar to the appraoch that RGG has taken with Dominion.

Thanks!

Ok, great -- I've renamed the project, added attribution, and changed the verbiage to match the game (before, missions were called projects). The name change meant that the URL changed as well, so it's now here:
https://github.com/jamalex/the-resistance

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to add/remove/change, and I'm also open to pull requests if anyone wants to contribute anything (e.g. CSS that makes it better for the devices you want to play on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Dickinson
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hi, I love Resistance, but I'm no good at getting everyone together in person to play it, so this sounds fantastic! I'm also not really a whiz with getting open source stuff to run, so I'm wondering if you could give a more detailed walkthrough of how to install the required programs, get them connected, and run a game. For instance, after I cloned the github database and downloaded the two dependencies, I didn't know where to type the "npm install express" stuff.

Also, I don't know if I need to have this program running before the "Demo Server" will do anything special, but right now there's just a chat log, a way to name yourself, and a hangout link button, and not any of the Resistance related functions a game would need.

Thanks so much for coding this up, and sorry if I sound demanding, I'm just thrilled and excited to be able to play this online!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi! No need to install anything if you just want to play. To use the demo server, you need to get between 5 and 10 friends in a "room" (i.e., viewing the url for the game you created), and then a "Start game" button will appear. When you click that, it randomly assigns people as bad/good, tells the bad people who the other bad people are, and picks a random person as the first leader. Voting/mission interfaces are shown to players as needed. If you have any troubles, just let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Dickinson
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks so much! I'll try to round up some of my friends and give it a try this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Todd
United States
Canton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just stumbled onto this thread--this is exactly what I've been looking for! Has anyone here been playing on here recently?

If I were to make a suggestion, perhaps you could at least partially implement the Avalon roles? I've recently played for the first time with Merlin/Commander and I really enjoyed it. I wonder if there would be a way of simulating that role with your current system?

Thanks for this system, I'll be testing it out soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When and how often is this link online? I'd like to try it.

Thanks
Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.