6 Posts

Dark Darker Darkest» Forums » General

Subject: This and zombicide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Martinez
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like alot of the ideas in this game, minus the monsters ( snake, etc.) is being done by zombicide. I know this game has been in the works for along time, but zombicide has the same concepts, it seems and is now on the market.

How will this differ from zombicide, so i can justify in purchasing it?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elmaskador75 wrote:
It seems like alot of the ideas in this game, minus the monsters ( snake, etc.) is being done by zombicide. I know this game has been in the works for along time, but zombicide has the same concepts, it seems and is now on the market.
How will this differ from zombicide, so i can justify in purchasing it?
Thanks

Having watched a demo of Zombicide I can safely say both games are nothing alike.
The problem with a very intense theme as "Zombies" is that people often put all games in this genre in one category, which is not always ideal, as many zombie games are totally different games.
Compare Mall of Horror with Last night on Earth and you can conclude these games have nothing in common except for the superficial fact they both have zombies as characters. Far more eurogames with unrelated themes share the same mechanics, but it seems the theme is what makes people often link games (understandably).

I think the biggest difference of Zombicide compared to DDD is that Zombicide is a game that has its focus on light fun zombie-slashing.
DDD is a heavier game, with alot of interlocking mechanics and also a firm emphasis on item-management, team-planning and exploration.
I think zombicide is an ideal game to start or end a gamenight, as it plays quick and has very easy rules that can be grasped in just under 5 minutes. DDD is more of an evening-filling game, that plays out in 2 "acts", the second being a grand finale with a house that is being destroyed and a main villain that runs amock.
I want to stretch out that DDD is not solely a zombie game.
There is of course a dominant presence of hordes of undead closing in on the fragile team, but there are also other creatures, each with unique behavior linked with a unique target-system that forces players to plan how they will eliminate the creature by targetting a specific anatomical part of the beast for either slowing it down or removing some of its attacks.

DDD uses icon-driven combat with dice, that forces players to carefuly choose icons to activate certain abilities that could potentially also influence the group.
In every aspect of the game there is an extreme focus on Co-operative planning. It is very much a game about intense group-planning and the game has a whole meta-game thing going when players verbally plan their moves as a group, because each individual player's decission in movement or other actions can have harsh consequences for the rest of the team, as the game uses a team-tracking system that triggers creature A.I.
For example: a character that leaves one of the main groups and starts exploring a wing of the mansion on himself not only will risk the danger of getting surrounded by swarming hordes but also triggers creatures because he created a new slot in the teamtracker.
This will of course make more sense when you actually play the game

It is inpossible to talk about all the elements in DDD in this limited space but let me say that there is also stealth gameplay in the form of security cameras team members must outsneak to form a safe passage,
to avoid triggering bad events. At one point a destructive fire will start that if not dealt with will destroy room for room when it spreads further.
The whole system is driven by several time triggers to put pressure on the team.

Anyway, I hope I have at least given you some idea of the specifics of what makes DDD unique. I hope to post a designers diary soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Martinez
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Mr. Ausloos,

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed reply. As i said this is a game i have been keeping an eye on. It is now on my must buy list!

Thank you again for the information for the game! It is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Mario M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:
...but let me say that there is also stealth gameplay in the form of security cameras...
Security cameras? Pre-ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide is stupid straightforward rolling game. Don't even dare to compare it with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
I wouldn't use stupid that sparingly.. but seriously, I get physically tired of rolling dice, counting the number of zombies and moving them. If I put weights on my wrists I might get toned arms from playing Z-Cide.

Am really looking forward to D(3) though. Has SO much more game and ideas going for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.