Subject: Upgrade card limits? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting 2 core sets. With the upgrade cards, am I limited to using only the upgrades from one set?

For example, lets say the core set has 2 marksmanship upgrade cards in the deck. If I am making a big squad, can I use 3 marksmanship cards on 3 different ships? Or am I limited to just the 1 deck for game balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrrrr'lex
Germany
Geestland
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can use all cards, which are available to the pilot you want to field. So if you field 3 pilots who are all able to use the marksmanship card, you can "equip" all three of them with this skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only ones that you can't repeat are the ones that have a dot next to the name ... like R2-D2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a LIMIT to the number of upgrade cards I can put on one ship as long as they have that upgrade Icon in the lower upgrade box on the pilot card?

Example: Can I put 3 sets of Cluster missiles on Darth Vadar's Tie Advanced or 2 Clusters and 1 Concussion? What about 1 of all 5 of the upgrades available for Darth Vadar's ship; Swarm Tactics, Expert Handling, Squad Leader, Clusters, and Concussion? I realize that would load Vadar out at 43 points with all 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Is there a LIMIT to the number of upgrade cards I can put on one ship as long as they have that upgrade Icon in the lower upgrade box on the pilot card?

Yes, as many cards as they have icon, one card per icon.

If you can fill a slot with multiple cards, it will exist more than once. The only ship that currently does that is the Y-Wing, with two torpedo icons.

So your über-Darth won't work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Omahavice wrote:

Yes, as many cards as they have icon, one card per icon.

If you can fill a slot with multiple cards, it will exist more than once. The only ship that currently does that is the Y-Wing, with two torpedo icons.

So your über-Darth won't work

Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to my buddies house this morning for our first 100 point match and I had just opened my Tie Advanced and was drooling over all the possible upgrades for Darth Vadar.

So basically I can use one upgrade with a missile icon on it and one with a medal on it? How am I supposed to kill those pesky goodie two shoes Rebels with only ONE set of Cluster Missilessoblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
So basically I can use one upgrade with a missile icon on it and one with a medal on it? How am I supposed to kill those pesky goodie two shoes Rebels with only ONE set of Cluster Missilessoblue

You'd be surprised. I killed a full health Y-Wing with one Cluster Missile (it had no shields left). That's 5 hits in one attack...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
You'd be surprised. I killed a full health Y-Wing with one Cluster Missile (it had no shields left). That's 5 hits in one attack...

-shnar

Damn I would have been PISSED!

Playing tonight and we're gonna try 1 or 2 missions, can't wait!
I'm even thinking about getting a 2nd Y-Wing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's what started our internal discussion about the Agility = Armor. Our group isn't very keen on defense dice in game (don't get us started on Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)) for this very reason, and we've seen it come up every now and then. A TIE Fighter just outright dying on the first turn because of crappy dice rolls. It hasn't happened enough to make us not like the game, but it's enough to make us wonder if the game would be better with a defense value instead of dice or maybe a mix of the two.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
True, having dice in both the attack and the defense leads to very swingy results. It's why I prefer playing with two guys in Gears of War: The Board Game by a large margin when playing solo. Hasn't bothered me in Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) though, and so far I don't think it will here, but I haven't gotten my ships to the table yet. Might tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
Omahavice wrote:

-shnar

Of course it should be clear that this would be EXTREMELY rare. All four dice have to hit...with at least one critical....target rolls no evades (which likely means he wasn't even focusing) and you have to pull one double damage card for your critical hit.

I think Luke's bullseye on the Death Star was harder to pull off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AMartin56 wrote:
shnar wrote:
Omahavice wrote:

-shnar

Of course it should be clear that this would be EXTREMELY rare. All four dice have to hit...with at least one critical....target rolls no evades (which likely means he wasn't even focusing) and you have to pull one double damage card for your critical hit.

It's a Cluster Missile, it's only 3 dice and it attacks twice. So 5 damage off of 3 dice x2 isn't that rare. Bad luck on the defender yes, but not rare.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
AMartin56 wrote:
shnar wrote:
Omahavice wrote:

-shnar

It's a Cluster Missile, it's only 3 dice and it attacks twice. So 5 damage off of 3 dice x2 isn't that rare. Bad luck on the defender yes, but not rare.

-shnar

Did the Y-Wing roll his defense Die twice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
shnar wrote:
AMartin56 wrote:
shnar wrote:
Omahavice wrote:

-shnar

-shnar

Did the Y-Wing roll his defense Die twice?

Yeaup, blank both times.

Torpedoes and Missiles tend to be hit or miss with me. Either they do devastating damage or do nothing. I usually only bring them if I got a few extra pts to spare.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.