Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently the only "war game" I have is Memoir 44 which I enjoy. HoweverbI'm looking at Phontom Leader, Thunderbolt Apache Leader and Field Commander Rommel.

I am not put off by complexity or length of play. The AVG games are pricey at $70-80 and the Rommel is around $35. Price isn't the determining factor but I'm wondering if the price difference is equated to "twice the fun"?

Does one offer more replayability than the others?

Thanks for any suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of those are excellent games, but out of those FC Rommel makes a great next purchase for you. The rules are a quick study, you have some choices to make in game (but not too many), and the AI keeps the game moving quickly, and there is tons of replayability. And the most important part, the game is just fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Appelberg
Sweden
Piteå
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pojopep wrote:
Currently the only "war game" I have is Memoir 44 which I enjoy. HoweverbI'm looking at Phontom Leader, Thunderbolt Apache Leader and Field Commander Rommel.

I am not put off by complexity or length of play. The AVG games are pricey at $70-80 and the Rommel is around $35. Price isn't the determining factor but I'm wondering if the price difference is equated to "twice the fun"?

Does one offer more replayability than the others?

I haven't played any of the Leader games, but I do own both Field Commander: Rommel (the original version; I understand there's a deluxe version as well) and Field Commander: Napoleon. FC:N definitely feels more meaty, with six counter sheets, seven mounted map boards and 11 scenarios to play. The gameplay has been expanded somewhat, with individual battles played out on a separate tactical map.

FC:R in contrast, has three maps, one counter sheet (I think, I bought mine pre-punched) and three scenarios. There's no separare battle map; battles are resolved through die rolls and playing battle plan chits. While not a bad game (in fact, it's actually pretty fun to play), it pales in comparison to its younger brother.

So, if you're looking for a great solitaire game, not necessarily WW2, I'd say go with FC:N.

Also, Fields of Fire might be right up your alley. Haven't played it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
FC Rommel rocks.

I just traded for Phantom Leader (and just bought Hornet Leader), but haven't hit the table yet. I got them because of their stellar reputations on this forum.

If price is scaring you, you might check out NWS Online. They got Apache Leader for $49, Phantom Leader for $45, and FC Rommel for $25. A bunch of us wargamers will vouch for their integrity and customer service. (And I have no vested interest in it: just a happy customer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Price is often a reflection of print runs, not fun per se.

Are you interested in WW2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

A few lists that may be helpful...

one man's journey:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/28480/the-road-to-hell...

why the older games are golden:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/67945/death-to-the-cul...

tackling the big beasts:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/52996/i-want-the-beast...

a to z on wargame lists:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/140571/wargamers-guide...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game will expand your war game experience immensely, according to popular rumour ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
This game will expand your war game experience immensely, according to popular rumour ...

There must be another qualificative than "Game" for this one...

"Thing", perhaps?

One day, just one day, I'll replay this one again! meeple

Korsun Pocket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also take a look at FC: Alexander. Although I think Napoleon is a better game, I get more play time out of Alexander. I think it's much better than Rommel, but it's easier and lighter than Napoleon.

What an odd sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
I get more play time out of Alexander. I think it's much better than Rommel, but it's easier and lighter than Napoleon.

I haven't played FC Napoleon, but I much disliked FC Alexander to Rommel. It felt too limited in options and was less fun to me. But hey different strokes and all that. The game certainly looks the part, and the system as a whole is great so YOu can't go wrong with any of the FC games.

The Leader games are awesome. I have only played Phantom Leader, but recently picked up Hornet and Thunderbolt/apache Leader. Great system and a lot of fun to be had there.

Just close your eyes and pick something...you won't be unhappy.

Oh and NWS Online is a good place to go for purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Mallet wrote:

There must be another qualificative than "Game" for this one...

"Thing", perhaps?

I don't disagree ... I'll add the sound effects. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

If price is scaring you, you might check out NWS Online. They got Apache Leader for $49, Phantom Leader for $45, and FC Rommel for $25. A bunch of us wargamers will vouch for their integrity and customer service. (And I have no vested interest in it: just a happy customer).

thumbsup +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is too modest. His design No Retreat! The Russian Front is the perfect "next step" wargame.

Though good gamers disagree, I believe NR! exposes new players to so much about the hobby that you can then move on to any other game without fear.

Having played No Retreat! The Russian Front over 30 times, and looking forward to the next, perhaps I'm biased. But I've actually have played this game over 30 times. That means the game has cost less that 50 cents per play for me and I'm still not bored with it.

At some point, you're going to buy NR! anyway. It's a great game. So, I recommend you get it sooner than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heard good things about No Retreat; good choice for the next step up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after much deliberation I've gone with Thunderbolt Apache Leader. I watched the first video by Lonesome Gamer and I was sold. Ordered it with the new Star Wars X-Wing minis plus expansions and one othe game from Miniature Market for the free shipping.

Thanks for all the input and I'll be checking out the other suggestions in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, skip the solitaire wargames. They are shallow, and empty. Even if you have no opponents, get a two player wargame, and play it solitaire. No retreat: The Russian front is perfect for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:
Seriously, skip the solitaire wargames. They are shallow, and empty. Even if you have no opponents, get a two player wargame, and play it solitaire. No retreat: The Russian front is perfect for you.

Or use Vassal or ACTS. PBEM RULES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is too modest. His design No Retreat! The Russian Front is the perfect "next step" wargame.

Though good gamers disagree, I believe NR! exposes new players to so much about the hobby that you can then move on to any other game without fear.

Having played No Retreat! The Russian Front over 30 times, and looking forward to the next, perhaps I'm biased. But I've actually have played this game over 30 times. That means the game has cost less that 50 cents per play for me and I'm still not bored with it.

At some point, you're going to buy NR! anyway. It's a great game. So, I recommend you get it sooner than later.

Agreed. Carl's game is a stellar example of elegance. I don't like East Front and scales above tactical normally. But this is an absolute favourite with well-written rules and smooth gameplay and deep, deep decisions. Highly recommended as a next step up to more traditional hex-and-chit wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
superflat wrote:
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Agreed. Carl's game is a stellar example of elegance. I don't like East Front and scales above tactical normally. But this is an absolute favourite with well-written rules and smooth gameplay and deep, deep decisions. Highly recommended as a next step up to more traditional hex-and-chit wargames.

Everyone stop making me want to buy this game! The raves are proving irresistible. If I were conspiracy-minded, I'd think this was a conspiracy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
Everyone stop making me want to buy this game! The raves are proving irresistible....
I can't think of another game that I am absolutely certain new wargamers will eventually buy. Price and thrills are at the exact right point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Seriously, skip the solitaire wargames. They are shallow, and empty.

Beg to differ.... Totally and 100%

At least when it comes to the DVG games mentioned above. After playing, casually, standard fare wargames for 30 years Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operationswas an unexpected revelation. All three of the Air Leader games mentioned above was, for me, worth every penny. Fun, addictive and able to hit the table when I had the time. This radically increased the amount of time I am able spend gaming.

I have not played any of DVGs Field Commander games, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:
Seriously, skip the solitaire wargames. They are shallow, and empty. Even if you have no opponents, get a two player wargame, and play it solitaire.

thumbsup++
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
billyboy wrote:
horrido wrote:
Seriously, skip the solitaire wargames. They are shallow, and empty. Even if you have no opponents, get a two player wargame, and play it solitaire.

thumbsup++

thumbsup++

Though, I'd argue that there are a couple that have some value
(at least once). Ambush comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, try No Retreat! Then, in about a year, you'll be ready for Case Blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, thanks for your support of our operations at NWS! Very cool!

If there are any questions I can help answer let me know.

Take care friends.

Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.