Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,
Metropolys is a great game. It is not the deepest strategy game and some do not like the hard-to-discern gameboard, but it is a game I can pull out with my young nephew and non-gamers as well as with a more serious gaming group.

I was very exited to hear about the expansion (the one in the Ystari Box) but seeing the cards left me a bit underwhelmed. They do offer a bit variety, but all in all there not that much to it.
This made me think about creating my own expansion for Metropolys.
In fact, I created three sets of cards and can be mixed and matched with the cards from the original game.
A few days ago I contacted Sébastien Pauchon and he said it would be fine for him to see my ideas here on BGG.

As there is already an official expansion, these here will be expansions 2-4. They are not super strong objectives but rather challenges for experienced players. Some of them offer you a bonus to existing strategies, others will require you to think of new ways if you want to have the bonus points.
So, here we go. Please let me know what you think of these new cards.

Expansion 2 (4 cards)
- You get 3 Prestige Points if you have built at least one building in every city district and 3 Prestige Points if you have built at least one building in every neighborhood.
- This objective is a copy of an objective card of your choice another player has drawn this game.
- You get 5 Prestige Points if you have built all of your tall buildings (10-13) in one city district, 7 Prestige Points if you have built 3 of your 4 medium buildings (6-9) in one city district and 9 Prestige Points if you have built 3 of your 5 small buildings (1-5) in one city district.
- You get 3 Prestige Points for each of your buildings which is completely surrounded by other buildings, the city border, a lake or the river.

Expansion 3 (4 cards)
- You get 1 Prestige Point for each of your buildings you did not built during the game.
- You get 1 Prestige Point for each Subway chip you have collected.
- You get 1 Prestige Point for each Trendy Neighborhood chip you have collected.
- You get 2 Prestige Points for each Archaeological Site chip you have collected.

Expansion 4 - Character cards (5 cards)
- Lord Belmont – during the auction, each building you are placing on an Administration neighborhood (blue) is worth one more.
- Tycoon Almquist – during the auction, each building you are placing on an Industrial neighborhood (brown) is worth one more.
- Lady Seline – during the auction, each building you are placing on a Park neighborhood (yellow) is worth one more.
- Councilman McIntyre – during the auction, each building you are placing on a Lodging neighborhood (green) is worth one more.
- Comtesse de la Croix – during the auction, each building you are placing on a Mall neighborhood (red) is worth one more.

These five Character cards are something new to the game. They are not real player powers (in an ameritrash way), but a first step in that direction. I guess this idea could be developed further, which would probably lead to a completely new game design.

I also printed those new cards (and the old one, so that they would match) with some nice artwork and layout. Some examples you can see below (unfortunately only in German). As I have used some of the original art assets (e.g. the boxart) and illustrations from the web, I cannot share those card designs here, but that should not stop you from making your own print&play versions.

Here are my versions of the bonus cards (I made some more for the highest building as well):

And for the Expansion 2:

And for the Character Cards:

An overview of all the different card backs for my fan made expansion as well as for the original game:

And finally, the game setup with the new cards:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I came up with an interesting way of selecting the objective cards. But this will only work if the cards from the different expansions have different coloured backs - so, if you do not use custom made cards like I do, just use different coloured card sleeves.

1. Let each player draw one of the Character cards. As those are no major game changer you can let the players choose or distribute them randomly.

2. Put the objective cards for the beginners game aside, you won't need them.

3. Shuffle all the remaining objective cards (the expert version from the base game and all the expansions) and put them as a deck facedown on the table.

4. Draw a number of cards that is 2x the number of players (4 cards for a 2-player game, 6 in a 3-player game and 8 in a 4-player game) and put them face down (!) in the middle of the table.

5. Beginning with the start player, each player takes one card from this display. When all players have taken one card, repeat this process again until all cards are taken and each player has 2 cards.

6. Each player chooses one of his two cards to keep and put the other one face down (!) on a discard pile.

7. Repeat steps 3 to 6 two more times until all players have selected three objective cards.

8. As a last step, each player now chooses one of these three cards and puts it face down (!) on the discard pile. The other two cards will be his objectives for the game.

This method will not take longer than a few minutes and brings a decent element of strategy to the game, as:
- each player can select his two objectives out of six cards he has drawn
- each player can choose what expansion he wants to draw from. With knowledge of what is in each expansion, players can a) tailor their gameplay towards a specific strategy and b) players can try to figure out what their opponents might play.

Allright, that's it for now.

Have much fun gaming,

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look beautiful. Could you put them in the files section please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I can't, because the images used are copyright protected.

My advice for you would be to do your own versions.

All you need is a way to print the cards and then you can get started.
If you want to print the cards yourself (using a color printer, normal paper, card sleeves and a thicker (Magic-)card to give it stability, you can download a nice template at the gamecrafter:
https://community.thegamecrafter.com/publish/templates/cards...
Poker cards have just the right size for your standard Magic-the-gathering sleeves.

If you want to print your cards rather professionally, you will need the template from the company you are using for this. I, for instance, printed my cards through www.meinspiel.de, a company offering fully customizable playing cards. They offer poker card sizes as well, but the cards I printed have a different format (I guess they are rather bridge cards).

After downloading the template (download the .psd file if you have access to Photoshop, otherwise a .png file should be fine as well) you will need some software for creating the actual cards.
I have used Photshop, but any other program that offers layers should be fine as well (Gimp or Paint.NET come to mind). You could even use Powerpoint for designing new cards, but then you will have to make sure that the size of the printed cards is correct.

For creating my cards I used the box art from Metropolys which you can find here on BGG, the character art was taken from several games (Ticket to Ride, the Last Banquet) and from Deviant Art.

What else do you need? Well, a font that is fitting the theme of the game (there are plenty of Art Nouveau fonts freely available on the net) and I used some kind of art nouveau decor for the borders on the front on the cards (pimping them with layer effects in Photoshop).

However, I guess I could upload some kind of template with the stylistic elements and without all the artwork as a Photoshop file.
But as the size of the cards is somewhat unusual I do not know if this would help you a lot. And you would still need to include all of your own artwork etc.

Just let me know if this is something that would help you, ok?

all the best,
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.