Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I play Lookout and trash a Rats. Do I draw a card immediately from my deck while the Lookout cards are still in limbo, do I wait for Lookout to complete before drawing, or do I immediately draw one of the other revealed cards and then discard the other, since they are still technically in my deck? Or d. None of the above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BaconSnake wrote:
So, I play Lookout and trash a Rats. Do I draw a card immediately from my deck while the Lookout cards are still in limbo, do I wait for Lookout to complete before drawing, or do I immediately draw one of the other revealed cards and then discard the other, since they are still technically in my deck? Or d. None of the above?

The Rats "when trashed" ability takes effect immediately: draw another card. So you interrupt Lookout to draw a new card and then continue from the point of Lookout's Trash command.;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Colburn
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably the card is immediately drawn into your hand and so is not one of the three revealed cards: it'll just be in your hand 'waiting' for you to come back to it. It also means that the card you draw can't be the card you put on top of your deck, since Lookout is very clear about trashing first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:

I think that the general rule here is that such effects interrupt.

So:

You play lookout, look at 3 cards from your deck, trash one (rats)
**rats has been trashed, so draw 1 card**
**now resume lookout**
discard one of the 3 cards
place one of the three cards back on your deck.

Hopefully someone will be along to confirm this or correct me...

Edit: Heh, ninja confirmation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:

Dark Ages Rules, Additional Rules wrote:
Many cards in Dark Ages do something "when you trash" that card. ... These abilities happen directly after the card is put into the trash, and can function in the middle of resolving effects for an Action card

Seaside Rules, Lookout card description wrote:
You should look at all 3 cards before deciding which card to trash, which card to discard, and which card to put back on top of your deck. ... you must follow the instructions on the card in order.

I would say that you draw from the deck (excluding the being-looked-at cards, which are still in being-looked-at-land and currently not on your deck, since you look at all three together) and then choose a card to discard and then put back the final card (since the on-trash effect interrupts resolving the different sentences of Lookout's instructions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
I would say that you draw from the deck (excluding the being-looked-at cards, which are still in being-looked-at-land and currently not on your deck, since you look at all three together) and then choose a card to discard and then put back the final card (since the on-trash effect interrupts resolving the different sentences of Lookout's instructions).

Yep, this is definitely how it should work.

Fun that we now have "being-looked-at land" in addition to the other various "set-aside land" flavors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is certainly the way I would have played this if I had encountered the situation in an actual game, but I'm not aware of any "being-looked-at-land" rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
I'm not aware of any "being-looked-at-land" rules.

It's just an arbitrary way to talk about how things work. The other two cards you drew for Lookout aren't in your hand, draw pile, play area, discard pile, etc. So where are they while you're resolving the side-effects of trashing one of them? Being-looked-at land! The point is that you can't mix them with the cards in any other area (like your hand) in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
BaconSnake wrote:

The cards you are looking at are in being-looked-at-land (it's just down the street from set-aside-land) while you resolve trashing the Rats. So you draw the next card down, then continue resolving Lookout with the cards you've already seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had originally thought that Develop / Rats would be a nice combo: you could turn the Rats into a 5-coster and a Silver, then use the Rats on-trash ability to draw the Silver -- but, turns out it doesn't work that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your quick and unanimous responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.