Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Comic book, literary or famous character cameo in wargames. Does it exist? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Clique [+] [View All]
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wishing GMT would release a "Creature Commando Battlepack", maybe a few creepy maps, a half sheet of counters representing the commandos and a Germain chaplain or two. Throw in a few cards and you have yourself an interactive Weird War comic. Would be the Halloween gift of the year.

I'm pretty sure they aren't doing anything like this anytime soon.....so I got to wondering.

There must be wargames out there now who have comic-book characters in them. Jeb Stuart commanding an M3 Stuart? General Knowett?

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure..... it must exist

right?

Keep it to straight wargames .... I'm not looking for sci-fi/alternate history/steam-tub stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Comic book character cameo in wargames. Does it exist?
None that come to my mind. SPI's Air War: Modern Tactical Air Combat had a scenario pitting fighter jets against a UFO, and (IIRC) a dragon. That's about as close as comes to my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I crazy or is there a civil war grand tactical game that has a zombie general in it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a comic book character but Beachhead has a "Sgt Stryker" counter which refers to the character played by John Wayne in Sands of Iwo Jima
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
usrlocal wrote:
TonyClifton wrote:
Am I crazy or is there a civil war grand tactical game that has a zombie general in it?

Yes.
Peter, that was very diplomatic of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
SPI's "King Arthur" portrays a battle with ... guess who?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sgt Rock?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Speaking of creepy counters check this out!
..................eww.

Imagine that sucker crawling after you...or worse imagine if you thrwe a nade in its ugly maw!!!? Splatter every where!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, I'll bet that King Arthur was flying a fighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:

imagine if you thrwe a nade in its ugly maw!!!?

I was so horrified by the counter I also spoke like Dr Seuss for a moment. What game is it from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I believe Richard Berg's The Three Days Of Gettysburg (first edition) has a Harry Flashman counter. He's not a comic book character per se, but he's certainly a fictional character who is somewhat cartoonish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt, I would have purchased Silent War if it contained this (Red Torpedo) counter. Particularly if there were no rules associated with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Not really a comic book character but Beachhead has a "Sgt Stryker" counter which refers to the character played by John Wayne in Sands of Iwo Jima

fightinlegalist1 wrote:
I believe Richard Berg's The Three Days Of Gettysburg (first edition) has a Harry Flashman counter. He's not a comic book character per se, but he's certainly a fictional character who is somewhat cartoonish.

These are perfect. I might change the name of the thread. (I have no idea how)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GODZILLA!!!.
(and "Death Ray Gun")

Desert Storm: The Mother of All Battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
TonyClifton wrote:
hipshot wrote:

imagine if you thrwe a nade in its ugly maw!!!?

I was so horrified by the counter I also spoke like Dr Seuss for a moment. What game is it from?

THIS ONE...some fun.

I'm looking forward to playing with Hans, he has that "just got bombed by B-17's" look about him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thought of another one :

I have a vague memory of a Sgt Steiner (James Coburn - Cross of Iron movie) counter in one of the ASL modules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
TonyClifton wrote:
Zombie Stonewall Jackson counter for Summer Storm: The Battle of Gettysburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Paragraph 499 from the Ambush! Paragraph Booklet:

499. [s6] Your soldier has entered a Flaubert novel. Having walked into the house's parlour, he now faces Emma Bovary. Her face, seen in profile, was so calm that it gave him no hint. It stood out against the light, framed in the oval of her bonnet, whose pale ribbons were like streaming reeds. Her eyes with their long curving lashes looked straight ahead: they were fully open, but seemed a little narrowed because of the blood that was pulsing gently under the fine skin of her cheekbones. The rosy flesh between her nostrils was all but transparent in the light. She was inclining her head to one side, and the pearly tips of her white teeth showed between her lips. "Is she laughing at me?" your soldier wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I'm told there will be a Justin Bieber counter in the re-make of "Vimy Ridge."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From the OCS Rules :

21.10a Godzilla. Deep in the enemy rear areas lurks a giant, hungry lizard. Units fear monsters, so they prefer not to go too far out on a limb, for fear of becoming lizard food. Defining what a “raider” is for this is difficult, so players will need to use common sense. Qualifying units tend to be small, out of trace supply, out of range of an HQ, and positioned so that they block enemy supply trace (and that is their primary purpose). If you find a unit or stack that seems to qualify, Godzilla eats them and they reappear in the dead pile.

http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/ocs/OCSGenera...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vaguely remember Sniper! (first edition) having some optional rule about a "super soldier" or something inspired by (generic) war film/comic heroes... Perhaps someone who has Sniper at hand can confirm or deny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I vaguely remember Sniper! (first edition) having some optional rule about a "super soldier" or something inspired by (generic) war film/comic heroes... Perhaps someone who has Sniper at hand can confirm or deny.

They were essentially trying to simulate Sgt. Rock from the comic books, or most action movie soldiers. I forget the exact details, but he had maximum stats, never "panicked" ie failed to follow his orders for the turn and he was able to fire two SMGs in combat. It was pretty fun rule; they suggested a fair game would be two super-soldiers versus a squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Marstov wrote:
russ wrote:

They were essentially trying to simulate Sgt. Rock from the comic books, or most action movie soldiers. I forget the exact details, but he had maximum stats, never "panicked" ie failed to follow his orders for the turn and he was able to fire two SMGs in combat. It was pretty fun rule; they suggested a fair game would be two super-soldiers versus a squad.
And ... he never had to re-load!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I Am Spartacus! featured Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, Peter Ustinov etc. images on the counters of the historical characters they played in the movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.