Subject: Looking for Native Speaker for Proofreading rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is the gist - I'm as of now rewriting the English rules for the game. I consider myself as being quite fit in the language (being a EngLit graduate, and all), but then, I am not a native speaker, and will probably make a few grammar mistakes or typos.

And that is why I am looking for a Native Speaker, who is really fit in grammar and orthography, to proofread the new rulebook.
This is also a little bit of a time-issue, because the rules have to be ready to get printed for Essen. So I'll need someone who can do that at short notice, and in no more than a day.

However, all this is not without benefit. For one, you will be mentioned in the rulebook by name (of course), and you will also get a free copy of the game at Essen (you have to be there, or at least someone who can get it for you).

Now, I am thankful for everybody who wants to help, but I can only offer the rewards once. So the first who is interested and is able to work on short notice, will be able to secure the reward, IF he/she manages to fulfill his side of the bargain.

On the other hand, I'd also be glad for anyone who would be willing to help without the bonus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
As I have a vested interest in seeing a legible rulebook come out of all this, I will do it. And no reward is necessary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I am rather looking forward the final German rules, I love threads and actions like this. It is, what makes BGG such a wonderful place. Thanks both of you for guranteeing a +++standard for games without a big publisher.
Greg - you should at least accept the copy of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to cut in here.
Unfortunately, I already have someone for "first proofreading". So the copy of the game is already spoken for, if he wants it.

Still, I am really thankful for your offer regarding the proofreading, and will get back to you, Greg, as soon as possible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all... Especially, Simon and Fran for your work.

It´s true, we are small, we are not rich (rather the opposite) and this is our first game so, that´s the consequence there were several mistakes in the English rulebook.

But the only thing I know is what I want to do is to hear, listen and answer any opinion from any user so we can improve now and in the future.

And this is the greatness of Boardgamegeek, Daniel! A site in which you can find a lot of help and support for the players... For example, thanks to BGG I can learn to play Republic of Rome, a really great game, because with the rulebook is really difficult...

Again, thanks to all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm a little confused. Will the games at Essen come with an English rulebook? Or German?

I ask because I see that I can pre-order this, I'm just wondering if I'll need to wait to get the English rulebook. That, or brush up on my German (or Spanish).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Daniel...

No, the game is in English so, don´t worry, but as a present we will bring German rulebooks for the German fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, to be more precise, the game comes with a Spanish and English rulebook. But since some people pointed out that the rulebook is hard to understand in parts, I am reworking it.
Unfortunately, it will probably not make it to Essen (in print), and I am not really sure if a reprint will be done, as that would (of course) mean additional costs. But that is in the hands of the publishers.

However, the rulebook will, in any case, be available here on BGG, and we are working hard to try to get it uploaded roughly around the time of the Essen fair. So you would get the game there, and would be able to access the new rules on the internet, but all the while already having the old rules present (which are completely correct - no mistakes or somesuch). The aim of the new rulebook is that it will be easier to understand. And hopefully I'll do my job good enough to achieve just that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification! I think I'll put my order in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Wegner
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, many thanks to the Asylum Games team for making a German rulebook available in printed form.

My question: Some German internet retailers have listed Polis to be available after Essen, while one of them already sells it.

What if I order at a retailer, will I get a German rulebook too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas, you will not find a German rulebook in the game box, if you buy it from the retailer. They are printed especially for Essen, to be handed out in addition to the game when bought by a German customer (there probably won't be enough of them to hand out one with every copy, so non-German customers probably won't get one). Also, if everything goes according to plan, an extra sheet will be provided with the Card Text translations at Essen.

As there probably will not be enough copies of the German rules at the fair, I doubt that Fran or Nacho will be able to hand out a German rulebook to customers who have bought their copy of the game elsewhere.

I am also doubtful whether future copies will have a German rulebook included, but that will probably depend on how well the game will sell, and if there will be a second printing, anyways.

However, both the German reedited Rules Version and the Card sheet will be uploaded here on BGG soon, so you could always download and print them yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a really good question Thomas...

We have not thought yet if we are going to give the German rulebook to shops. We are going to give the German rulebook to customers for sure, but to shops...

And I would give it to shops too, but the rulebooks are limited... This is an important economic effort to us, and we cannot print many rulebooks.

But finally, I suppose that we give the rulebooks to shops too.

Anyway, the German rulebook will be available here.

*I don´t see your answer Simon... So Simon has explained the question very well, they are limited and we don´t know if we can give a German rulebook to shops too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let all interested parties know - proofreading has been done (first draft), and corrections will be made in a few days. Then formatting and editing will have to be done.
And finally another proofreading round, and final corrections.

Unfortunately, it could be that we will not have uploaded the corrected version here, come Essen. But it will be available very shortly afterwards, I think.

This also means that the new rulebook will unfortunately not make it to Essen in print-form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.