Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Game mats that you can buy for this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kirchin
Canada
flag msg tools
I don't want to make one so this is for options you can buy

how would you compare the mondayknightproductions star mat vs the hotz deep space mats for looks and quality? I last time I ordered from hotz it took 3 months to arrive and I only received 1 email from him in all that time despite sending out a few asking whats up? so the MKP option sounds appealing to me but some have said the quality isn't that good is this true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Arcoraci
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered a felt mat MKP and while it is less expensive I'm not sure how well the felt will hold up over time. I have played about 10 games and so far so good, I have it duck taped to a table to hold it in place. The print quality is fine, but I have a feeling over time it will not hold up. I have been thinking of getting a vinyl banner from Banners on the Cheap to bring with me to play off site. Hotz is a bit a pricey for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a 3'x3' felt mat from Hotz. It only took around a month to arrive, but I wasn't terribly thrilled with the image. The mat itself is great quality (think, folds came out quickly, easy to roll) and it does help fight "model slide" which is really important to this game.

The image itself wasn't as astounding as I was imaging. The stars look good, but the nebulae are just sort of random orange and yellow blobs that have some fairly sharp borders at places. Don't get me wrong, it still looks nice and is far superior to just playing on a taped-off section of tabletop. But the image can't really compete to some of the other mats people have made by ordering banners with various space images (though I imagine those mats are slicker and a little less ideal when it comes to functionality).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The Banners on the Cheap mats mentioned in other threads works very well if you send them a good hi-res picture. Cheap too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Mantis
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
I had a bad experience with Banners on the Cheap. My mat came folded with major creases and the image was far too dark. I know you mentioned you didn't want to make your own, but it's really cheap and very easy to do. Just get back trifold foamore board, some white paint, and run your finger along the toothbrush bristles. Done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bnners on the cheap: 3'x3', $16, mailed for free, rolled, perfect color, get compliments on it all the time.

Disadvantages: vinyl is not as nice as canvas or felt, as it glares and is a little slippery. Print quality is nice when you consider it is a banner, designed to be viewed from a bit of a distance. Up close you will see that it is not a 4x6" photo quality 600 dpi kind of thing.

Conclusion: For the price, you can't get a nicer mat than this. For twice the price (delivered!) I think you still can't. With a bigger wallet than that you have (limited) options.

Choose a smart image, and choose one that has tons of pixels. Strong contrasting lines will probably come out looking grainy up close, but soft gradients will come out looking great. There are some fantastic Hubble shots available for free.

The end result doesn't look like a budget solution, and I will probably be buying some more mats from them, I need a 1:1200 scaled seascape for my Dystopian Wars, and a grassland\forest floor for my WFB High Elves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kirchin
Canada
flag msg tools
poboxgarret wrote:
I ordered a felt mat MKP and while it is less expensive I'm not sure how well the felt will hold up over time. I have played about 10 games and so far so good, I have it duck taped to a table to hold it in place. The print quality is fine, but I have a feeling over time it will not hold up. I have been thinking of getting a vinyl banner from Banners on the Cheap to bring with me to play off site. Hotz is a bit a pricey for me.

what about it makes you think it won't hold up? like will it tear apart or wear out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the nice Wings of War mats, just flip them over. What I have been doing they work just fine after all they are black and provide some grip so bits don't move around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kirchin
Canada
flag msg tools
does anyone have a picture of the MKP mat in action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this starry fabric from Ebay and am very happy with it. Folds up nice and small and looks great.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280961884701?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Don't know if the seller has any more or where they got it from...

vs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
Bnners on the cheap: 3'x3', $16, mailed for free, rolled, perfect color, get compliments on it all the time.

Disadvantages: vinyl is not as nice as canvas or felt, as it glares and is a little slippery. Print quality is nice when you consider it is a banner, designed to be viewed from a bit of a distance. Up close you will see that it is not a 4x6" photo quality 600 dpi kind of thing.

Conclusion: For the price, you can't get a nicer mat than this. For twice the price (delivered!) I think you still can't. With a bigger wallet than that you have (limited) options.

Choose a smart image, and choose one that has tons of pixels. Strong contrasting lines will probably come out looking grainy up close, but soft gradients will come out looking great. There are some fantastic Hubble shots available for free.

The end result doesn't look like a budget solution, and I will probably be buying some more mats from them, I need a 1:1200 scaled seascape for my Dystopian Wars, and a grassland\forest floor for my WFB High Elves.

Quoted for truth.

This has been my exact experience with Bannersonthecheap. To the person who got theirs folded... you had two options. Discuss with them why it was folded (when pretty much everybody else has gotten their rolled) and see if there was something to be done. Or, use a hair drier to smooth it out. When I left mine in a car for a couple of weeks it got a lot of troubling creases in it. A little hair drier action and it's like new again.

As for being dark... well, it IS space (kidding). Again, contact them and see if there's a way to make it right.

In the end, though this is bannersonthecheap. There are certain allowances that need to be made when you're getting something cheap.

Oh, and mini-slide is an issue. Not really a huge issue but there it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.